The Student Room Group

Should I accept an insurance offer if I plan to re-take to achieve my 1st choice?

Hi

I have applied for a verey specific course - only 5 unis do it. I have applied for 2019. I want Leeds who have offered AAB. My insurance would be Kent who want ABB. However, I do not like their course (I only really want Leeds).

As I have applied for 2019 I am intending to re-take if necessary to get the grades for Leeds. So, I am assuming it is pointless to even have an insurance isn't it? I am concerned tho that once I have rejected Kent I can't re-apply next year to them - or any of the other 4 I've rejected euther! If I fail to get the grades a second time, I may then have no option but to go through clearing for a different course altogether.

In an ideal world, I would like to keep Kent as an insurance while I do re-takes for Leeds but I assume that's impossible?

Thanks for your help!
Kent will not use the fact that you applied the previous year to determine whether they offer you a place or not in the next year. They can't - that kind of bias isn't allowed. There's no way for them to see if you've applied before, and admissions receive hundreds of applications every year so they will not remember anyone's.

:smile:
Original post by Betsy_2018
Kent will not use the fact that you applied the previous year to determine whether they offer you a place or not in the next year. They can't - that kind of bias isn't allowed. There's no way for them to see if you've applied before, and admissions receive hundreds of applications every year so they will not remember anyone's.

:smile:

They *can* see previous applications and they can choose to take that into account when making decisions. A good university system will identify and match previous applications.

They won’t but it’s allowed and possible.

OP. If you would withdraw from Kent anyway this application cycle then you’re right that it’s a pointless insurance choice. Better to have no insurance than one you wouldn’t be happy to go to.
Original post by PQ
They *can* see previous applications and they can choose to take that into account when making decisions. A good university system will identify and match previous applications.

They won’t but it’s allowed and possible.

OP. If you would withdraw from Kent anyway this application cycle then you’re right that it’s a pointless insurance choice. Better to have no insurance than one you wouldn’t be happy to go to.

REALLY? Some speaker from Oxford told us definitely not! Sorry for the misinformation, OP
Reply 4
Thanks - but now I'm concerned that Leeds wont look at me a second time or may request higher grades....any idea?
Original post by cazza0104
Thanks - but now I'm concerned that Leeds wont look at me a second time or may request higher grades....any idea?

While they can see your previous applications they are likely to see it as demonstrating that you are committed to them not as a bad thing.

REALLY? Some speaker from Oxford told us definitely not! Sorry for the misinformation, OP

It could be that that is Oxford policy (or the policy for that college/department). It’s not a uk wide rule or practice.
Original post by cazza0104
Hi

I have applied for a verey specific course - only 5 unis do it. I have applied for 2019. I want Leeds who have offered AAB. My insurance would be Kent who want ABB. However, I do not like their course (I only really want Leeds).

As I have applied for 2019 I am intending to re-take if necessary to get the grades for Leeds. So, I am assuming it is pointless to even have an insurance isn't it? I am concerned tho that once I have rejected Kent I can't re-apply next year to them - or any of the other 4 I've rejected euther! If I fail to get the grades a second time, I may then have no option but to go through clearing for a different course altogether.

In an ideal world, I would like to keep Kent as an insurance while I do re-takes for Leeds but I assume that's impossible?

Thanks for your help!

Arguably you may as well set them as insurance in case on the day you change your mind.
Reply 7

It's a Cambridge and Oxford policy to delete unsuccessful applications at the end of the cycle. Other universities may be different.

For example some medschools won't allow you to reapply if you've been interviewed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What course is it OP?
If you won't be happy at kent, don't go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending