The Student Room Group

Going back to school at 19 with aims of a university degree

Hey, I’m Holly. I’ve just turned 19 after a year of travelling and volunteering and now think I want to go back to education. When I did my A Levels I was unsettled and unmotivated. I didn’t do well to say the least. Now I’ve matured quite a bit and have better self-control, I want to pursue a degree in Physics at university. I don’t know what or where I need to do to be accepted into a university. Can anyone help?
Original post by Lulamaemoully
Hey, I’m Holly. I’ve just turned 19 after a year of travelling and volunteering and now think I want to go back to education. When I did my A Levels I was unsettled and unmotivated. I didn’t do well to say the least. Now I’ve matured quite a bit and have better self-control, I want to pursue a degree in Physics at university. I don’t know what or where I need to do to be accepted into a university. Can anyone help?

A level maths, physics and a third of your choice but further maths will make the degree easiest.
You can take an access to science course for 1 year in a college and then go into university
Your first option is to take prerequisite qualifications, as people have suggested above. Maths and further maths can be self-taught pretty comfortably. Physics can too, but I believe you would typically need to arrange significant practical work.

Another option is the Open University's OpenPlus scheme in which you study for two years with them and then transfer to a traditional university for the latter two years of their degree. There are a range of universities participating in the scheme: here.

You could self study for A-levels as others have suggested. It might be possible to do this alongside full time work- or more likely part time work. You'd have to fund taking your exams as an external candidate, and any tutoring you might need.

Alternatively, you could find an "Access to Higher Education" course that would enable you to study a course you would enjoy at university. Some universities might want you to study maths or further maths alongside this for a physics degree. While studying an access course, you can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan, which will pay your course fees, and possibly receive a bursary towards your living costs.

Yeah, go back to redo your A-levels is what I'd recommend. That's what I did, when I was 21. Now I'm 23 and just started uni last September, in a high ranked uni now too :smile: just go to your local college and find an A level or BTEC Level 3 course you like, then if you enjoy it and do well, progress to uni. You'll be entering uni younger than I have :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending