The Student Room Group

2018 GCSE AQA English Literature Paper 1 Exam Discussion and Predictions

Looking for the AQA English Literature Paper 2 2018 Discussion? Find it here

I'm a year 11 student who will be doing the GCSEs this year and I was wondering whether anyone has any predictions to what will come up in the literature papers.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PaulWilliams2002
I'm a year 11 student who will be doing the GCSEs this year and I was wondering whether anyone has any predictions to what will come up in the literature papers.

Thread moved to the English study help :smile:
So:
Romeo and Juliet: Something to do with fate
A christmas carol: Something to do with supernatural of social change
An inspector calls: Maybe about Eva or Gender
Poetry: London or one of the random ones like checking out me history or the emigree
Original post by Animalium
So:
Romeo and Juliet: Something to do with fate
A christmas carol: Something to do with supernatural of social change
An inspector calls: Maybe about Eva or Gender
Poetry: London or one of the random ones like checking out me history or the emigree

That's a great help, thanks, because I couldnt find any other people making predictions for literature 2018. I'll make sure to revise those types of questions slightly more than the others. Again thank you it's much appreciated 👍👍
That's a great help, thanks, because I couldnt find any other people making predictions for literature 2018. I'll make sure to revise those types of questions slightly more than the others. Again thank you it's much appreciated 👍👍

Why? Just because someone predicts it? I'm sorry but that would be wasting your time.
Original post by Goldfish4343
Why? Just because someone predicts it? I'm sorry but that would be wasting your time.

That's why I said the word " slightly" because I understand it's just a prediction and that it's not definite.
That's why I said the word " slightly" because I understand it's just a prediction and that it's not definite.

Don't do any extra on that. It is nothing more than a random guess. Yes, there is a chance they could show up but it is not worth putting more effort, even a small amount, on a guess.
Don't do any extra on that. It is nothing more than a random guess. Yes, there is a chance they could show up but it is not worth putting more effort, even a small amount, on a guess.

The main reason i am following that advice is because my English teacher has also made the same prediction. However, i do understand your point. I may as well just revise everything equally so that if it doesn't come up I'm not screwed haha.

No it wasn’t a ‘random guess’ it was a logical prediction based on all the specimen papers and the 2017 paper for example last years poem was bayonet charge so therefore it’s unlikely to be about conflict this year and it won’t be bayonet charge
I would really recommend steering clear of predicting what topics would come up. My English teacher told our class that the following week, we would have a test on one of the extracts in Animal Farm which we would have seen before and analysed in class (made notes on, etc.) I knew it would be a big moment in the novella and not anything insignificant. We spent a lot of time on the extract in which Snowball was expelled and chased out of the farm, and I revised that more than the other moments because I was quite sure it would come up (since we had done essays on other moments and not that one). However, 'the purge' (when Napoleon has some of the self-confessed criminals killed) was the extract, and whilst I mentioned some techniques that I spotted, if I had revised each of the main moments equally, I would have done better.
Original post by Koalifications
I would really recommend steering clear of predicting what topics would come up. My English teacher told our class that the following week, we would have a test on one of the extracts in Animal Farm which we would have seen before and analysed in class (made notes on, etc.) I knew it would be a big moment in the novella and not anything insignificant. We spent a lot of time on the extract in which Snowball was expelled and chased out of the farm, and I revised that more than the other moments because I was quite sure it would come up (since we had done essays on other moments and not that one). However, 'the purge' (when Napoleon has some of the self-confessed criminals killed) was the extract, and whilst I mentioned some techniques that I spotted, if I had revised each of the main moments equally, I would have done better.

I agree with you, but your class teacher isn’t AQA they work completely differently. It would be more logical to not revise the conflict stuff much because it’s not likely to come up that’s just common sense
I can understand both points of view. I'll revise all sections equally just incase the unexpected comes up haha
Thanks for all your help though.
What questions will likely to come up for both the LOTF and Macbeth in this Summer 2018? We were given questions banks on a sheet for LOTF and here were the questions:

(Specimen paper 1 - Set 2):
In what ways if conflict important in the Lord of The Flies.
Explain the importance of Simon in the novel.

(2017 summer exam, we did this for our first set of mocks in mocks in Christmas):
In what ways is Ralph significant in the Lord of the Flies?
Explore how the boys lose their childhood innocence in the novel.

(Sample Assessment Materials):
How are ideas about society important in Lord of the Flies?
How does Jack change throughout the novel?

(Specimen paper 1 - set 1):
Explore the significance of bullying in the novel.
Explore the importance of Piggy in Lord of the Flies.

(Second set of mocks, possibly was the retake exams, it was something like):
The importance of Jack in the novel.
The theme was about leadership.(Don't exactly remember how it asked the question.)
Hey guys, I wanted to know if anyone has any ideas on what could possibly come up in the English literature exam.
I am sitting the exams for:
-Inspector Calls
- Macbeth
- Christmas Carol
- Love and relationships poems

Please state your predictions, it will be very helpful for me
Reply 15
Yes, I know the exact stuff that will be on the exam (teacher gave us a massive booklet on it).
It will be:
Shakespeare- Macbeth
Dr Jekyll and Hyde (all paper 1)

Paper 2 lit:
An inspector calls
Power and conflict poetry
Unseen poetry
Original post by yelp:)
Yes, I know the exact stuff that will be on the exam (teacher gave us a massive booklet on it).
It will be:
Shakespeare- Macbeth
Dr Jekyll and Hyde (all paper 1)

Paper 2 lit:
An inspector calls
Power and conflict poetry
Unseen poetry

Yes I also know that aswell but i'm trying to say if you may have any predictions on what the questions could be.
Reply 17
Original post by rumana098
Yes I also know that aswell but i'm trying to say if you may have any predictions on what the questions could be.

Oh okay..

1st question: I don't really know, it changes every time

2nd question: Write about an extract from the novel/play as an extract then as a whole (30 marks +4 marks SPAG)

3rd question (AO3/A04):Write about character development, realationships, themes and issues, settings, structure and context about the play or novel.
(20%)

It's basically these types of questions that you'll receive. I don't know specifically (my prediction) of what it'll ask but this is basically the base/foundation of what it'll be.

Paper 2( inspector calls/ power and conflict poetry)

IC: first question is a choice of two essay questions (30 marks)(structure or effect analysis)
FOCUS: Character development, relationships, themes and issues, settings, structure, language and context.

P&C: One question comparing one named poem to YOUR CHOICE of poem (30 marks)

Unseen poetry:
One question on the unseen poem (e.g how does the writer use language to effect the reader)
One question comparing this poem with a second unseen poem (e.g. How are they both similar/different. What main effect does it produce?)----most common questions asked.
Original post by yelp:)
Oh okay..

1st question: I don't really know, it changes every time

2nd question: Write about an extract from the novel/play as an extract then as a whole (30 marks +4 marks SPAG)

3rd question (AO3/A04):Write about character development, realationships, themes and issues, settings, structure and context about the play or novel.
(20%)

It's basically these types of questions that you'll receive. I don't know specifically (my prediction) of what it'll ask but this is basically the base/foundation of what it'll be.

Paper 2( inspector calls/ power and conflict poetry)

IC: first question is a choice of two essay questions (30 marks)(structure or effect analysis)
FOCUS: Character development, relationships, themes and issues, settings, structure, language and context.

P&C: One question comparing one named poem to YOUR CHOICE of poem (30 marks)

Unseen poetry:
One question on the unseen poem (e.g how does the writer use language to effect the reader)
One question comparing this poem with a second unseen poem (e.g. How are they both similar/different. What main effect does it produce?)----most common questions asked.

I think that they were asking more in terms of what content ie there's a strong probability that it will be about Macbeth and lady Macbeth's relationship or lady Macbeth's power or something related
If you want Good predictions:
-Find out what themes were on the questions in last years GCSE. Because it won't be that
-Find out what was on the sample papers this year (and may be last year), because it won't be that.
-Look for short extracts. For poem anthology they won't include a poem that goes on for two pages as an extract.

The rest is guesswork. My English teacher predicted twice correctly for the GCSE's. I do AQA, LOTF, Macbeth, Jekyll and Hyde and Love and relationships.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending