The Student Room Group

best medical speciality for someone who likes diagnosis ( apart from GP)

I like figuring out what is wrong, having a think. Like a detective, putting the puzzle pieces together.

Scroll to see replies

Radiology?
Reply 2
Original post by AlanAnonymouss
Radiology?

why radiology?
Original post by brainstem
why radiology?

Radiologists interpret medical images and have to figure out what’s wrong. The images radiologists deal with are usually quite challenging
Reply 4
Original post by AlanAnonymouss
Radiologists interpret medical images and have to figure out what’s wrong. The images radiologists deal with are usually quite challenging

cool
Reply 5
Every medical speciality is about diagnosis.
Reply 6
so there is more in neuro?
Reply 7
Original post by Nottie
Every medical speciality is about diagnosis.

lol you know what I mean
Reply 8
diagnosis. more about diagnosis
Reply 9
lol you know what I mean

No, not really.
I don't know what you expect people to tell you.
You want something like puzzles? Try dermatology
You don't really like the outpatient character of derm? Try A&E
Not keen on talking to patients? Histopathology is all about spotting things.
Prefer children to adult? Any paeds speciality
Want to also solve patients problems quickly? General surgery
Decoding ECGs is your thing? Cardiology

There are endless options and if your only criteria is diagnosis you really haven't narrowed it down at all.
Reply 10
Original post by Nottie
No, not really.
I don't know what you expect people to tell you.
You want something like puzzles? Try dermatology
You don't really like the outpatient character of derm? Try A&E
Not keen on talking to patients? Histopathology is all about spotting things.
Prefer children to adult? Any paeds speciality
Want to also solve patients problems quickly? General surgery
Decoding ECGs is your thing? Cardiology

There are endless options and if your only criteria is diagnosis you really haven't narrowed it down at all.

A&E doesn't really seem like something where you can sit down and think and work things out, like i said in the OP lol. seems a lot more fast-paced. looking for something where I can sit down, look at all the clues and come to a diagnosis. Want most of my job to be about diagnosis. Surgery is not about diagnosis either, that is the actual doing, the immediate fix, rather than sitting and thinking about what to do, surely.
Reply 11
nice
Reply 12
I have heard in neuro, often it is hard to come to a conclusion though on what the problem is.
Reply 13
nice, yeah. i want to do the detective work.
Reply 14
part of me is crying inside for you too
Reply 15
the problem is neuro and derm ( especially) ( and others) are all so competitive. got to do lots of stuff throughout medical school dedicated to one to show my interest.
I'd say all the pathology specialties are very diagnosis oriented with some offering more scope for patient management and interaction than others e.g. haematology or immunology vs histopathology.

I think radiology is also up there and again has a reasonable amount of focused patient contact if that's what you're after.

Some general medical specialties do strike me as rather detective work-y too e.g. rheumatology or infectious diseases.
Reply 17
Original post by Democracy
I'd say all the pathology specialties are very diagnosis oriented with some offering more scope for patient management and interaction than others e.g. haematology or immunology vs histopathology.

I think radiology is also up there and again has a reasonable amount of focused patient contact if that's what you're after.

Some general medical specialties do strike me as rather detective work-y too e.g. rheumatology or infectious diseases.

nice, thanks :smile:
I like figuring out what is wrong, having a think. Like a detective, putting the puzzle pieces together.

I’d say neurosurgeon because they can plan and plan to figure out what’s wrong but once the skull cap is removed, the plan goes out the window because seeing the brain changes everything. It’s all about looking at the brain and figuring out how to fix it without damaging it. Like a huge puzzle. (That is if you wanna be seeing brains hahaah)
Reply 19
Original post by Anon2k1
I’d say neurosurgeon because they can plan and plan to figure out what’s wrong but once the skull cap is removed, the plan goes out the window because seeing the brain changes everything. It’s all about looking at the brain and figuring out how to fix it without damaging it. Like a huge puzzle. (That is if you wanna be seeing brains hahaah)

nice, cheers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending