The Student Room Group

Should I tell a doctor?

I'm 16, and I have severe anxiety problems. The amount of stress I get leaves me unable to cope with it and I can't even sit in classrooms with other people. But now my hair has been falling out in clumps, mostly when I wash it. I know hair falls out anyways, but now it's clumps and I don't know what to do. Any tips?
- Can't be around other people
- Struggling to cope
- Hair loss

I think you've answered your own question. Good luck.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 16, and I have severe anxiety problems. The amount of stress I get leaves me unable to cope with it and I can't even sit in classrooms with other people. But now my hair has been falling out in clumps, mostly when I wash it. I know hair falls out anyways, but now it's clumps and I don't know what to do. Any tips?

Is the GP aware of your anxiety?
Reply 3
You should definitely see a doctor. :smile:
Right, fuc*in ell mate you gotta go see a doctor there is something going on for sure. If it weren't for the clumps of hair part then I would have been against going to the doctors but dude that sh*t seems bad. So go for it.
Reply 5
Original post by Tiger Rag
Is the GP aware of your anxiety?

No, but CAMHS is, which is a mental health service for adolescents. Although I've never had an appointment with them, I just have a referral. But I've never just gone to a doctors practice. Too afraid I guess
Yes, tell a doctor. Everyone gets anxious or stressed sometimes but you sound as though you're getting overly anxious/stressed. Hair falling out can also be a sign of stress. With regards to school have you spoken to your teachers about it? They should be able to help you. :smile:
Reply 7
Please go and see a doctor, they will help you. Good luck.:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by AspiringAccount
Right, fuc*in ell mate you gotta go see a doctor there is something going on for sure. If it weren't for the clumps of hair part then I would have been against going to the doctors but dude that sh*t seems bad. So go for it.

I'm really afraid to see a doctor because I'm scared it'll actually be something worse than just hairloss from stress.
Reply 9
Original post by 2007PSanHa
Yes, tell a doctor. Everyone gets anxious or stressed sometimes but you sound as though you're getting overly anxious/stressed. Hair falling out can also be a sign of stress. With regards to school have you spoken to your teachers about it? They should be able to help you. :smile:

I see a counsellor and a clinic nurse at school. Although they don't help that much. I also have a time out card which allows me to just leave my lessons but sometimes my teachers won't let me. And my head of house has said that if I see a doctor finally and they suggest that I work alone, then I won't have to work in my classes at all. Which is good in a sense.. I suppose
I see a counsellor and a clinic nurse at school. Although they don't help that much. I also have a time out card which allows me to just leave my lessons but sometimes my teachers won't let me. And my head of house has said that if I see a doctor finally and they suggest that I work alone, then I won't have to work in my classes at all. Which is good in a sense.. I suppose

Well done for seeing a counsellor and clinic nurse about it. Have you tried facing the wall in lessons so you can't see your classmates? It may sound silly but it might help.
Original post by 2007PSanHa
Well done for seeing a counsellor and clinic nurse about it. Have you tried facing the wall in lessons so you can't see your classmates? It may sound silly but it might help.

It's mainly the noise I can't deal with. I now do my exams in a separate room. Or the layout of the room. I have a few anxiety toys like a tangle toy and a fidget cube, which only help a tiny bit seen as everyone is so interested as to why I even have toys with me, and then people try and take them and then I get more anxious.
No, but CAMHS is, which is a mental health service for adolescents. Although I've never had an appointment with them, I just have a referral. But I've never just gone to a doctors practice. Too afraid I guess

I used to go to CAMHS and i guess it helped for a while but they just offer counselling etc.
Is there anything going on that has triggered this anxiety or anything that has happened?
Solving the underlying problem could help you out alot.
Original post by misspessimism
I used to go to CAMHS and i guess it helped for a while but they just offer counselling etc.
Is there anything going on that has triggered this anxiety or anything that has happened?
Solving the underlying problem could help you out alot.

I actually don't know.. I started getting depressive episodes all the way back to when I was around 11 and at the time I was getting seriously bullied online. So that may have been the problem. My confidence levels have severely dropped and making new friends is just a no no to me now. I can't even look people in the eye anymore. And my teachers just don't help. My tutor rep just tells me to snap out of it and it frustrates me because doesn't he think i would if I could? It's not like I want this.
I'm really afraid to see a doctor because I'm scared it'll actually be something worse than just hairloss from stress.

dude don't be scared it'll turn out fine. Although I myself have my concerns about doctors, this doesn't necessarily mean that all doctors are worth fearing I've learnt that. Look your getting paranoid like I was when I went for my own reasons. At best they're gonna give you some meds to take, and probably suggest you eat a lot of protein. Just go and you'll be fine. Aight.
I actually don't know.. I started getting depressive episodes all the way back to when I was around 11 and at the time I was getting seriously bullied online. So that may have been the problem. My confidence levels have severely dropped and making new friends is just a no no to me now. I can't even look people in the eye anymore. And my teachers just don't help. My tutor rep just tells me to snap out of it and it frustrates me because doesn't he think i would if I could? It's not like I want this.

I can somewhat relate: finding your own thing to do or your own special place/hobby could boost your own self confidence. I'm kind of being a hypocrite as i generally am quite shy and over analytic. But you might want to confined in a trustworthy friend, i wouldnt really reccomend it tbh it ended badly for me that way. Sorry if that didn't help

Well you'll never know unless you see your GP. I know it's scary, but if there is something going on then your GP can help. Otherwise you might be stuck with a problem and no help with it. Who knows it could even be something that's a really simple fix.
I've held off going to the doctors about things before then found out I could have missed out on months of bother cos it was a really simple thing. And even with big issues, you'll still have it weather you go or not so it's better to know what you're dealing with.

Good luck. :smile:
Original post by Kindred
Well you'll never know unless you see your GP. I know it's scary, but if there is something going on then your GP can help. Otherwise you might be stuck with a problem and no help with it. Who knows it could even be something that's a really simple fix.
I've held off going to the doctors about things before then found out I could have missed out on months of bother cos it was a really simple thing. And even with big issues, you'll still have it weather you go or not so it's better to know what you're dealing with.

Good luck. :smile:

So, edit, I finally went to see my GP about it and he wasn't helpful at all. He blamed it all on my exams, even though I told him that I have no problem with them and I'm fine taking them, All he's done is written a letter to CAMHS about speeding up the process seen as it's been 8 months since I was accepted into the program, but this was about a month ago now.
So, edit, I finally went to see my GP about it and he wasn't helpful at all. He blamed it all on my exams, even though I told him that I have no problem with them and I'm fine taking them, All he's done is written a letter to CAMHS about speeding up the process seen as it's been 8 months since I was accepted into the program, but this was about a month ago now.

Yeah unfortunately GPs aren't always the most understanding people, especially with young people cos well they aren't going anymore. They're used to assessing people to find the most obvious answer and sometimes they apply that to anxiety and things. They also aren't immune to the silly trying to comfort people thing. You'll know quite well that somebody saying "it's just exams, no big deal" doesn't actually help you feel better (especially if exams aren't even what you're anxious about), but doctors actually don't always get that. They're human and they do that human thing of wanting to say something even when there's nothing to say.
What they can do though is get you to the right people and it sounds like there trying to do that for you. CAMHS will be more understanding cos they're trained and used to this sort of stuff. In the meantime you can also talk to your school about counseling. They're a bit more limited than CAMHS, but they are an understanding person to talk with and can be really supportive while you're going through stuff.

If you don't like your specific GP you can also see ask to see a different one next time. My surgery has GPs who are better with different things so there was one I always tried to see for MH cos I felt better seeing them.

Unfortunately what's going on in your brain is a bit complicated for "normal" people to understand and that means sometimes even when they're trying their best they can shove their foot in it.

Quick Reply

Latest