The Student Room Group

My chances to UK 🇬🇧 universities

Hi, I'm Mehdi, 16.5 years old, I live in Paris even if I come from Algeria. I've applied with UCAS to five courses but I don't know if grades are available to be admitted. Let me give you courses I've applied for :

1. MEng Aeronautics Engineering - Imperial
2. MEng Mechanics Engineering - Imperial
3. BEng Aerospace Engineering - Glasgow
4. BEng Mechanics Engineering - Glasgow
5. BEng Aerospace Engineering - Bristol

Now, let me give you my grades. I study on 12th grade in a selective secondary school of Paris. We are the sixth secondary school by the 42 schools of the county :

Mathmatics : 14.5
Physics : 13.5
Biology : 10.5
Philosophy : 12
French : 14
History Geography : 18
English : 16.5
Sport : 13
Spanish : 13.5
Research : 16
Ranking : 5th/25

Thanks for answering. I really wait replies of universities. Bybye.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by medizzerparis
Hi, I'm Mehdi, 16.5 years old, I live in Paris even if I come from Algeria. I've applied with UCAS to five courses but I don't know if grades are available to be admitted. Let me give you courses I've applied for :

Now, let me give you my grades. I study on 12th grade in a selective secondary school of Paris. We are the sixth secondary school by the 42 schools of the county :

Mathmatics : 14.5
Physics : 13.5
Biology : 10.5
Philosophy : 12
French : 14
History Geography : 18
English : 16.5
Sport : 13
Spanish : 13.5
Research : 16
Ranking : 5th/25

Thanks for answering. I really wait replies of universities. Bybye.

Just saying: universities in the UK won't really care how good your school is.

Also, if you want to be accepted by the unis then you should take a English Proficiency test such as IELTS.
Original post by stoyfan
Just saying: universities in the UK won't really care how good your school is.

Also, if you want to be accepted by the unis then you should take a English Proficiency test such as IELTS.

they do care how good your school is. they take the academic record of a pupil as a first principle but then they holistically look at whether their grades were in the context of going to a good school or a poor one.
Original post by CollectiveSoul
they do care how good your school is. they take the academic record of a pupil as a first principle but then they holistically look at whether their grades were in the context of going to a good school or a poor one.

However, unless you mention it on your application they won't have this data on schools outside the UK.
Thanks for fast replies. I confirm I'll pass IELTS in 15 days, I'll try to get 7 or 7.5, this score satisfies Imperial's requirements. In France, public schools are not all equal, and I don't talk about private schools. I'll be surprized if the admissions council doesn't take care of the ranking :u:
What's your average grade (using the coefficients for different subjects)?

You can then look on university websites to see what they require, e.g. for engineering at Glasgow the standard entry requirement is an average of 17, with at least 16 in maths and physics.

https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/entryrequirements/#/europeanstudents
Original post by KittyN
What's your average grade (using the coefficients for different subjects)?

You can then look on university websites to see what they require, e.g. for engineering at Glasgow the standard entry requirement is an average of 17, with at least 16 in maths and physics.

https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/entryrequirements/#/europeanstudents

Any coefficient during the year, only for the Baccalaureate : 9 in Mathmatics, 6 in Physics and Biology, 4 in French, 3 for Philosophy English and History, 2 for Researching Spanish and Arabic.

The best general average in my classroom is 15 and the best physics average is 14.5, and some pupils of my classroom will make great studies even if their grades are not great because our school is selective.

I think I'll get 15 for Baccalaureate, but universities reply before its beginning ( 15th to 22nd June ). I wish sincerely the universities will take care of ranking, statements and recommendations.
I think I'll get 15 for Baccalaureate, but universities reply before its beginning ( 15th to 22nd June ). I wish sincerely the universities will take care of ranking, statements and recommendations.

How it normally works in England is that universities give conditional offers. So they will say to you, for example "we give you an offer, on the condition that you get 16 in the bac". Then, once you get your results, if you have met the offer they will confirm the place.
Oh good. So I know I'll have to work harder for the BAC. French universities accept of refuse, there are not conditionnal offers
Do you know about firm and insurance choices?

You might want to read this guide:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/firm-and-insurance-choices
Reply 10

When did you apply?
Original post by Doonesbury
When did you apply?

In January. The deadline was on January 15th for undergrad courses ( excluding med & veto courses )
Reply 12
In January. The deadline was on January 15th for undergrad courses ( excluding med & veto courses )

I know. I was just checking you were aware. :smile:

So have you had any replies at all?

Is your school used to making UCAS applications?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know. I was just checking you were aware. :smile:

So have you had any replies at all?

Is your school used to making UCAS applications?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did everything by myself. My school doesn't know what is UCAS, they can help you with ParcourSup ( the French UCAS ), but no more. I don't have any reply, I wait them for April/May
Reply 14
I did everything by myself. My school doesn't know what is UCAS, they can help you with ParcourSup ( the French UCAS ), but no more. I don't have any reply, I wait them for April/May

Did someone provide your reference? And predicted grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did someone provide your reference? And predicted grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes my Math, Physics and English teachers provided me recommendation letters, they all affirm my secondary school is one of the most selective of the county, but they didn't give BAC predictions
Reply 16
Yes my Math, Physics and English teachers provided me recommendation letters

Via the UCAS Reference? Or did you send them direct to the universities?
Via the UCAS Reference? Or did you send them direct to the universities?

With UCAS, why ??
Reply 18
With UCAS, why ??

Again, just checking.
Any comment about my project ??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending