The Student Room Group

Oxford or UCL?

I've got offers to study medicine at both Oxford and UCL and am generally unsure which one I should firm. I like the curriculums of both unis, the methods of teaching and the areas they are located in.

I would just like to know what past and current Oxford and UCL students think about those unis (the support they gave, the opportunities on offer, the social lives they had there).
What were your GCSE grades?
Reply 2
Its medicine so you'll defo get a job so its not about job oppurtunities. Ucl probs better social life and Oxford has better reputation
Reply 3
Original post by s.m30
What were your GCSE grades?

13 A*s
They're both good universities for medicine.

I'd probs pick Oxford for the prestige and college/traditional atmosphere.

What college is your Oxford offer for?
Reply 5
I'm not too sure, but congratulations!!
What A-levels did you do btw? And what are your predictions?
Reply 6
Put the one with higher entry requirements as your firm, so if you miss the offer you can go straight to your insurance. Also, on results day, if you change your mind you can call up your firm and ask them to release you to your insurance, so you still have until August to make up your mind anyway.
Reply 7
Original post by Petulia
Put the one with higher entry requirements as your firm, so if you miss the offer you can go straight to your insurance. Also, on results day, if you change your mind you can call up your firm and ask them to release you to your insurance, so you still have until August to make up your mind anyway.

Unfortunately, both gave me the same offer to the letter and neither will budge.
Reply 8
Original post by haha0901
Firm Oxford, after being an Oxford pupil you get benefits for life. You say you went to Oxford and people will redo your kitchen for cheaper, or sell you that car for cheaper. Its literally still benefitting my mum and she's in her 50s.

Really?

Could you tell me more?
Reply 9
Original post by Chief Wiggum
They're both good universities for medicine.

I'd probs pick Oxford for the prestige and college/traditional atmosphere.

What college is your Oxford offer for?

Magdalen
Original post by Tantalus
Magdalen

lol that's a great college, take the Oxford offer.

Can't you still change from Oxford to London for clinicals anyway?
Reply 11
I tend not to think the worst of people from the outset.
Even people on the internet.

He may have been trolling or he may not have been. Regardless, I do not make accusations like that straight away.
Reply 12
My goodness... Having more gems than someone else is not the be all and end all. I sincerely think people who frequent the Student Room that often need to get out more.

I had thought that my response to that individual indicated some level of polite skepticism. Clearly, I had thought wrong.
Reply 13
Has anyone on TSR transferred (or known anyone who has transferred) from Oxford to London for clinicals?

How did they find the change? Did they feel like they were behind compared to their other coursemates at their new university?
Original post by Tantalus
Has anyone on TSR transferred (or known anyone who has transferred) from Oxford to London for clinicals?

How did they find the change? Did they feel like they were behind compared to their other coursemates at their new university?

I'm a former student and I know of a few. I think you start a little behind as the London students - although not necessarily having much clinical experience at all, they have at least been through how to examine someone before, whereas you have not - but you rapidly catch up and i did not hear of any academic problems. In fact, i think they tend to do very well.

Its worth remembering the process - when you apply for London you choose staying at Oxford or you choose which London uni you want, and unless you have very bad results you will very likely get into your first choice - most choose UCL or Imperial, but you have the freedom. I think for someone that is clearly interested in London, but not dead-set on London, that's pretty invaluable.

There is a correlation vs causation argument, but Oxford graduates do a lot better in doctor's exams.

Student satisfaction is much higher at Oxford.

Student living is a lot cheaper at Oxford.

London unis tend to keep their medics quite separate, with medics often having separate sports teams to the rest of the uni even. Because of the college system medics are a lot more integrated at Oxford. Could be a positive or negative depending on your view of course.

Tutorial system is another unique aspect. UCL does more lectures i think though, if that's your thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending