The Student Room Group

Why do women want gender equality in the workplace, but not in dating?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loveleest
One is a human, the other one isn't.

So the second question. Why is it wrong to kill it when it's human but not beforehand?
Original post by Wired_1800
What?

A slow developer is like someone with downs syndrome. Medicine is now quite advance that doctors can find whether an unborn baby will have DS. The issue is that they wont know whether it will be moderate or extreme DS. Extreme DS shows severe mental retardation or slow cognitive development.

So you think that it is okay for a woman to kill a Downs Syndrome baby because it could affect her social life. Wow!

I think you are really young and probably naive. You need to mature a bit and then we can have a chat.

DS is about far more than slow cognitive development. I'm sure my friend would love if that was all the issues his 12 year old has. But he also has behaviour difficulties and no speech and he still requires a lot more care than most 12 year olds.
Original post by Tiger Rag
DS is about far more than slow cognitive development. I'm sure my friend would love if that was all the issues his 12 year old has. But he also has behaviour difficulties and no speech and he still requires a lot more care than most 12 year olds.

I agree, but i don't think you friend would want to shoot his 12 year old dead because it was affecting their social life.
No, because I believe that whilst the "baby" is in the womb, they are not actually human beings yet (up to 36 weeks). So If a Mother killed a human (her child) then it's obviously murder. I do think she should give her child up to adoption

I think you are confused. Doctors will strongly disagree with your point.

The term 'baby' is a bit too vague for these kinds of arguments. It makes more sense to talk of a pregnancy involving the development of a foetus which at some point can be described as a 'person'. Until a foetus becomes a person then there's no 'murder'. Sure, you can argue about the point a foetus becomes a person but otherwise that is the distinction applied.
Original post by Axiomasher
The term 'baby' is a bit too vague for these kinds of arguments. It makes more sense to talk of a pregnancy involving the development of a foetus which at some point can be described as a 'person'. Until a foetus becomes a person then there's no 'murder'. Sure, you can argue about the point a foetus becomes a person but otherwise that is the distinction applied.

You can try to make a distinction whatever way you like.
I do not agree. I do not think a woman has the right to decide the fate of an unborn child.

I agree that some people are too extreme either way. We are talking about the termination of life. Some people see it like changing shoes or some mundane thing.

I do agree that there are two extreme sides, im more in the middle.
But i do think that because the foetus is living inside of the woman, she should have the right to terminate. She isn’t an incubator solely for the care of her potential child, if her economic status will make the childs life and her life harder, or she simply isnt ready for the responsibilities of a child then it should be her choice.
Original post by EqualitySloth
I do agree that there are two extreme sides, im more in the middle.
But i do think that because the foetus is living inside of the woman, she should have the right to terminate. She isn’t an incubator solely for the care of her potential child, if her economic status will make the childs life and her life harder, or she simply isnt ready for the responsibilities of a child then it should be her choice.

That is the key problem. A woman should not have the right to take another person’s life.

If she gets pregnant and finds out that she is unable to take care of the offspring then there are opportunities for adoption and public support. There are women who take that step rather than terminating the unborn child.

I am getting tired of going round circles. It is ridiculous how people have attempted to bring up reasons to justify the killing of an unborn child.

In the end, like i wrote before, the woman can do whatever she wants. If she rips out her womb today, i would not care. However, my view is nobody should have a right over the fate of another person’s life.
You can try to make a distinction whatever way you like.

But abortion is legal and morally defended on the basis of such a distinction. If you can't, for example, satisfactorily demonstrate that a fertilised egg is suddenly a 'person' (as most of us would accept that term) then you won't easily convince supporters of abortion that it is wrong.
But abortion is legal and morally defended on the basis of such a distinction. If you can't, for example, satisfactorily demonstrate that a fertilised egg is suddenly a 'person' (as most of us would accept that term) then you won't easily convince supporters of abortion that it is wrong.

I am not here to convince supporters of abortion why they should not support the killing of unborn children. I am here to state my opinions.

Whether abortion is legal is not something to be proud of. There were times that slavery was legal and morally defended where black people were viewed as 3/5 of a human being. There were times that it was legal and morally defended to discriminate against women, because they were viewed as weak and unintelligent. Even now it is legal to be islamophobic and use ridiculous claims to morally defend people’s stupid irrational fear of Muslims.

To your point about conception and when does a fertilised egg become a person, i have explained my view to another poster, which was left un-rebutted. I do not want to repeat it. I’d suggest you scroll back and read my exchange with other posters. Else, i will run the risk of repeating myself more than I would want to.
(edited 6 years ago)
I am not here to convince supporters of abortion why they should not support the killing of unborn children. I am here to state my opinions...

So you don't want anyone to respond to your views if they are critical of them? I mean, we are all here stating our opinions aren't we? All you have to say is that your position is based on the premise that a fertilised egg is a 'child' or a 'person', no? Some of us, a lot of us, reject that premise is all.
That is the key problem. A woman should not have the right to take another person’s life.

If she gets pregnant and finds out that she is unable to take care of the offspring then there are opportunities for adoption and public support. There are women who take that step rather than terminating the unborn child.

I am getting tired of going round circles. It is ridiculous how people have attempted to bring up reasons to justify the killing of an unborn child.

In the end, like i wrote before, the woman can do whatever she wants. If she rips out her womb today, i would not care. However, my view is nobody should have a right over the fate of another person’s life.

You don’t seem to get that most people don’t consider a foetus a person, so getting an abortion isn’t seen as taking another person’s life. Until quite far along in pregnancy, the foetus cannot continue it’s “life” without the mother so it isn’t a separate entity.

You can believe that “life” starts at conception, but the point that life begins is opinion. It’s like calling a vegan a murderer and saying that they shouldn’t eat plants because they show signs of life, and some studies show plants can feel pain. We don’t think plants have as much right to life as humans, even though they grow and reproduce and ‘live’. To claim that eating plants is murder is ridiculous because their “life” is not equal to the life of a grown person, much like the “life” of an unborn foetus.

You’re going round in circles because you see the foetus to have as much value and life as a fully grown person, which most people find ludicrous and sometimes offensive. I don’t believe that anyone should be able to kill people, but a foetus isn’t a person. People will never take being called a murderer well, especially when they (and many others) don’t consider what they did murder.
So you don't want anyone to respond to your views if they are critical of them? I mean, we are all here stating our opinions aren't we? All you have to say is that your position is based on the premise that a fertilised egg is a 'child' or a 'person', no? Some of us, a lot of us, reject that premise is all.

I am open to my views being debated but i am not here to convince you to accept my views. Two different things.

I think a fertilised conceived egg is a person. There is a debate on that point, even among doctors and seasoned medical thinkers. Some accept the 24-week threshold for abortion, others reject that. To me, i believe that life begins at conception.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by cat_mac
You don’t seem to get that most people don’t consider a foetus a person, so getting an abortion isn’t seen as taking another person’s life. Until quite far along in pregnancy, the foetus cannot continue it’s “life” without the mother so it isn’t a separate entity.

You can believe that “life” starts at conception, but the point that life begins is opinion. It’s like calling a vegan a murderer and saying that they shouldn’t eat plants because they show signs of life, and some studies show plants can feel pain. We don’t think plants have as much right to life as humans, even though they grow and reproduce and ‘live’. To claim that eating plants is murder is ridiculous because their “life” is not equal to the life of a grown person, much like the “life” of an unborn foetus.

You’re going round in circles because you see the foetus to have as much value and life as a fully grown person, which most people find ludicrous and sometimes offensive. I don’t believe that anyone should be able to kill people, but a foetus isn’t a person. People will never take being called a murderer well, especially when they (and many others) don’t consider what they did murder.

I guess we have to stop here then. No point going on and on. Morality is not absolute but relative, so we have our own set of moral codes.

I am not going to apologise for my views and i don't care if people find it offensive. There is always someone, who is offended by something. They can kick rocks.

As i have written before, i am not there with every woman. So if she wants to do whatever she wants she can. Nobody cares and life goes on. We only have to accept the consequences of our actions.
(edited 6 years ago)
...I think a fertilised conceived egg is a person...

This position suggests that you have a significantly different view of what constitutes 'personhood' to that of those who support abortion.

No, I am not. I think 35 weeks is late. I would say 20 weeks. I do think women that want to abort should d it early as possible though.

It makes sense to say that a baby is not a human until it becomes developed..

It's like making a cake. The batter is not a cake until it finishes baking. Batter and the cake are two different things.
I am open to my views being debated but i am not here to convince you to accept my views. Two different things.

I think a fertilised conceived egg is a person. There is a debate on that point, even among doctors and seasoned medical thinkers. Some accept the 24-week threshold for abortion, others reject that. To me, i believe that life begins at conception.

LOL. So you think an egg in a human? are you actually being serious lol.

I remember when I was walking down with my friend once and a bird dropped it's egg. Guess what came out of the shell? It was raw egg.
So how was that raw egg a bird? Isn't it not fair to say it is a bird until it hatches out of the egg and then you can call it a bird....

That raw egg cannot breathe, eat, sleep, feel etc...but you would seriously call it a bird?
This position suggests that you have a significantly different view of what constitutes 'personhood' to that of those who support abortion.

Yes, that is correct. Now you understand one of elements of this debate.

When is an entity regarded as a person? Is it at conception? Is it at 6-8 weeks, when the heart and brain (two major determinants for proof of life) begins to function and develop? Is it after 12 weeks, when some other organs start to develop?

Is it after 20 weeks, when limbs start to significantly develop? Is it after 24 weeks, when Doctors suggest that the child begins to feel pain as a sensory response? Is it after 36 weeks, when the baby is about to be born? Or is it at birth?

Now, different people have different views on the above. Some Pro-lifers argue that life starts from conception and hence should not be killed. Others suggest different stages along the gestation period.

Some pro-choicers also argue that life should be sacred when the said life is considered a “person” but they do not agree an absolute point. The compromise is 24 weeks, when the most significant elements of development begins with sensory responses. That is why some pro-choicers rattle on about “oh, the child cannot feel pain, so it is not a human”.

We have had different scenarios on this thread to justify abortion. Some have used rape, which I think I have rebutted. Some have used incest, which I think I have rebutted. Some have used age and financial hardship, which I think I have rebutted. Some have tried to argue on not being ready for unwanted pregnancy or even the experience of pregnancy, which I think I have rebutted. Some have not even bothered to argue and just said, “oh, it is her body, let her be able to kill the baby”.

You see people want to have validation to do what they like. It is easy for a woman to kill her unborn child, if you tell her “don't worry darling, it is not really a child until this point”.

We live in an age when it is okay to normalise things. Once you can normalise the situation, then it is okay to justify it.
LOL. So you think an egg in a human? are you actually being serious lol.

I remember when I was walking down with my friend once and a bird dropped it's egg. Guess what came out of the shell? It was raw egg.
So how was that raw egg a bird? Isn't it not fair to say it is a bird until it hatches out of the egg and then you can call it a bird....

That raw egg cannot breathe, eat, sleep, feel etc...but you would seriously call it a bird?

A developing person. We are all developing from conception until death, whether natural or death by abortion.
No, I am not. I think 35 weeks is late. I would say 20 weeks. I do think women that want to abort should d it early as possible though.

It makes sense to say that a baby is not a human until it becomes developed..

It's like making a cake. The batter is not a cake until it finishes baking. Batter and the cake are two different things.

It is okay to kill a 5 month old baby? Ok.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending