The Student Room Group

Give Up Gaming?

Sounds like an extreme idea but would anyone consider doing this? Mocks are coming soon? Sacrifices, is it worth it?
Reply 1
Original post by averageatschool
Sounds like an extreme idea but would anyone consider doing this? Mocks are coming soon? Sacrifices, is it worth it?

Unless it's an absolutely integral part of your life then yes - I would recommend giving it up. I find it a real distraction so I uninstall Steam in advance of the exam period every summer to prevent the temptation. It's really easy to kid yourself that your only 'playing for a little bit in a break' but it will just sneak up you.
Lol good one
I don't see why you can't have plenty of time for both. It will be hard if you have been doing it along time and frequently but just taking breaks in important academic times is a good idea long term for sacrificing a bit of short term enjoyment
Reply 4
Yh Ive deleted fortnite untill summer or Ill get addicted. For gcses you can but defo not for a levels
Original post by averageatschool

I have done this step long time ago. In the one hand because the video games are more or less out of order, in the other hand because I have another hobbies and interest they have the same importance for me or are even more important.
I'd keep video games around for an hour a day, just to help alleviate stress.
Original post by aceplayyt
Yh Ive deleted fortnite untill summer or Ill get addicted. For gcses you can but defo not for a levels

You can be proud of yourself, really. Realizing the addiction is the one thing, but to interrupt gaming is the other. And the last step, stop to play video games, is quite difficult.
Reply 8
You don’t have to give it up, thats just torturing yourself and you won’t go from 2-3 hours of gaming a day to a sharp halt forever. You can still play games provided:
- they don’t interfere with your study times
- you don’t think about them during your studies

I play my video games before i sleep that way i finish my work during the day when its important. Same with using TSR, only use it when im on the train, eating breakfast etc.
I wouldn't give it up, I'd just take time off to make room for revision.
Other than the 2 south park games, I haven't played a video game in years.It wasn't an intentional giving up, I just outgrew them/was too ill I guess. :dontknow:
Hell no and I've got my GCSEs coming up in May :colone: :colone: :colone: :colone: :colone: :colone::colone: :colone: :colone: :colone: :colone: :colone:
Original post by aceplayyt

lol i should probably do that
I'm an A Level student and my exams are in three months, I don't feel the need to quit gaming. I play for an hour or two almost everyday and I try to not let it get in the way of my study. You just need self-discipline. :smile:
Honestly I find a good game usually doesn't negatively affect my performance. It's a great way to break up the monotony of spending hours studying, and I find that I play a lot more games during exam periods. In fact I actually don't play a lot of games in general, but when the exams are on the horizon I impulsively start playing.

It's your call, but games are very fun, and having fun is an aspect of performing well.
I somehow lost interest in it. Switched to another activity :biggrin:
I set myself hours when I should be studying and hours when I should be relaxing. In exams season those studying hours extend but I still let myself play videogames in those relaxing hours. But then again I very rarely get addicted to a game and I can never spend more than 2 hours playing a game straight, so I don't find it hard to stop gaming from eating up my time.
But if you are finding it hard to switch off maybe it would be a good idea to then maybe it would be a good idea to remove the temptation completely
My internet connection went down for 1 and a half years straight (for my PC only, wich is my only gaming device). I eventually got bored of gaming and slowly stopped.
Reply 18
I've graduated thanks to not gaming or having any kind of fun during my entire higher education career. No gaming, no social life, nothing. Yeah I know, I'm extreme but hey, at least I got that degree that most of my friends didn't.. and who are struggling to find a job..

There's a nuance though; I would game if I had my stuff done and if I was well-prepared for coming mocks. Was it worth it not gaming? Yes, it was worth it. However, I do have to tell you that I am now getting old and I'm desperately trying to recover the fun times I missed during all those years. Right now I'm forced with my nose into a job I hate. Anyway, I digress. I didn't spend 3 years doing my Bachelor, young one, I spent 6 years.. Yes, the road isn't so easy for some of us.

Don't fall into the trap of binge-gaming and try to stand strong on your two feet when your zombie friends with no self-discipline try to lure you with tempting lines like "come on bro, one more". Yeah, that "one more" can derail into 10 more hours. At some point you just have to call it quits, log off and risk being called an a*hole. You'll do yourself a service.
One good piece of advice: copy successful people, not losers. Guess why? If you copy losers, you'll end up going down their same path and.. I don't think you want that; I'd think you want a good life.

I recommend you don't game during coming mocks for one very important reason: to protect your future. I know what I'm talking about because I've been through that sour place called the real world, where no one respects you unless you've done something to show for it. Focus your time 100% on the mocks and divide your time wisely.
For example, at one point I was at a decision point: I had 3 months to catch up 3 exams: 1) Computer Science 2) English 3) Other languages. For me, 3 months was surely not enough to be well-prepared to pass them, so I asked my counselor for advice and he told me: put the least time into the courses you are pretty good at (English and languages) and focus 90% on the courses you are having great difficulty with (Computer Science). I did so and.. well, I passed all three of them! Great tactic, I must say.

All right, good luck out there and try to do your best, full throttle!
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply