The Student Room Group

Piano Lesson Help.

Hello everyone,
I want to buy a book to become better at playing the piano, but I don't know what to get. I've done piano lessons for 2 years so I know the basics. Can anyone help?
try getting ABRSM books or other exam books and Alfred's basic adult piano book. Just get the books that meet your playing level.
Reply 2
Original post by TheDevil
try getting ABRSM books or other exam books and Alfred's basic adult piano book. Just get the books that meet your playing level.

I tried Alfreds but it wasn't very helpful
the up-grade books or really easy jazzing about are quite nice:tongue:
Tagging @nyxnko_ cause they know piano stuff too:biggrin:
Reply 4
Try the Suzuki method - it was created by Suzuki to make people realise music is just like another language. It's really fantastic - many internationally renowned musicians learnt their instruments on this method. I started the violin at 3 on it and it's really served me well! Don't worry - it starts at a really approachable level!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_method
(edited 6 years ago)
You could also get enjoyable music books, there are a few bits on youtube what is ok. Few channels Sheet Music Boss, The Online Piano and Violin Tutor. What level/grade is your piano playing? What kind of music are you into?
Reply 6
You could also get enjoyable music books, there are a few bits on youtube what is ok. Few channels Sheet Music Boss, The Online Piano and Violin Tutor. What level/grade is your piano playing? What kind of music are you into?

I don't mind whether they are enjoyable or not. I'm a grade 3 and anything really
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Bobeth
Try the Suzuki method - it was created by Suzuki to make people realise music is just like another language. It's really fantastic - many internationally renowned musicians learnt their instruments on this method. I started the violin at 3 on it and it's really served me well! Don't worry - it starts at a really approachable level!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_method

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Toastiekid
the up-grade books or really easy jazzing about are quite nice:tongue:
Tagging @nyxnko_ cause they know piano stuff too:biggrin:

Thanks! :smile:
There is also "pianoTV" on youtube and is one of the most useful piano channels on youtube, she also has advise on books, videos about composers. Her channel has helped me a lot since i am self-taught and dont have much books for piano yet.
Reply 10
There is also "pianoTV" on youtube and is one of the most useful piano channels on youtube, she also has advise on books, videos about composers. Her channel has helped me a lot since i am self-taught.

I'll definitely consider it. Thanks a lot! :smile:
honestly, it depends on whether you want to actually improve in terms of technique or if you just want to be able to play certain songs to a decent level. If it's the former, I suggest Hanon and Czerny. It's a bit boring but it really does help you quite a bit. There are also quite a few exercises that you can get off YouTube, etc. which can help you improve your technique as well. If it's the latter, I suggest just learning the piece and then practising it :biggrin:
Hope it helps :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest