The Student Room Group

GCSE History vs Geography ??

Poll

geography or history?

Hi,im currently in y9 and i will be picking my gcse options (deadline is tommorow and im panicing on what to pick)
can someone help me decide pls (pros and cons would be helpfull< so would explanation of the course/subject)
history exam board: EDEXCEL
geography exam board:AQA
extra info:
i get the same marks on both,currently on a 7B, but started geography by a 6c and history 6A
i enjoy both
im thinking to pick RS+SPANISH+Triple science>im really good at science
carrer choices are to go into MEDICINE or LAW
(edited 6 years ago)
I did history and really enjoyed it... if your good at remembering specifics like dates and names then history would be good for you. As for what’s in it, it depends on the exam board.
Reply 2
Original post by Izzayyyy
I did history and really enjoyed it... if your good at remembering specifics like dates and names then history would be good for you. As for what’s in it, it depends on the exam board.

the exam board is edexcel
Reply 3
I did geography and enjoyed it a lot. I found human geography much more interesting and enjoyable compared to physical but still, I did rate it. in your history exams you'd probably be writing essays (I don't really know though) whereas geography is like a science paper. mostly 2-4 makers with a couple of 6 and 12. if you're into current events then I'd say geography x
Original post by error405
Hi,im currently in y9 and i will be picking my gcse options (deadline is tommorow and im panicing on what to pick)
can someone help me decide pls (pros and cons would be helpfull< so would explanation of the course/subject)
extra info:
i get the same marks on both
i enjoy both
im thinking to pick RS+SPANISH+Triple science

History. Its far more interesting and far more relevant to today's political climate. Don't take sociology, though. That's code for don't throw your life away.
Reply 5
Original post by Unkilled
History. Its far more interesting and far more relevant to today's political climate. Don't take sociology, though. That's code for don't throw your life away.

thanks
Reply 6
Original post by zsg
I did geography and enjoyed it a lot. I found human geography much more interesting and enjoyable compared to physical but still, I did rate it. in your history exams you'd probably be writing essays (I don't really know though) whereas geography is like a science paper. mostly 2-4 makers with a couple of 6 and 12. if you're into current events then I'd say geography x

thnx:h:
I’ve done both and personally i enjoyed history the most it was rly interesting
Reply 8
Original post by blueamaraxx
I’ve done both and personally i enjoyed history the most it was rly interesting

which one do you think is easier?
extra info:
i get the same marks on both
i enjoy both
im thinking to pick RS+SPANISH+Triple science

GEOGRAPHY:
PROs:
- People generally find it easier to revise than history
- You get to learn about things that are happening now and are affecting us today (particularly in human geography)
- Less essay writing
- If you were to continue geography at a higher level, it would benefit you in courses such as geography degrees, environmental studies, planning and even architecture.
- Some of the content comes up in GCSE chemistry
CONS:
- A lot of people find some parts physical geography more boring than human or vice versa (i personally found both interesting so it depends really)
- Some people find it hard to learn things like case studies

I didn't take history myself, but this is what i've heard from people generally:
HISTORY:
PROS:
- Useful if you want to go into history/politics/law later on
- Skills learnt could be useful in other subjects such as English
- Despite the work load, people still find the content interesting
CONS:
- May be difficult if you don't like essay writing especially under timed conditions
- More memorising than geography
- Coursework is more "intense" than geography (from what I've heard)
(edited 6 years ago)
which one do you think is easier?

I found history easier just because i find physical geography really hard, but some people are the opposite
Btw I'd say if u maybe want to go into law history would be more beneficial coz its analysing etc
Reply 12
Original post by blackvoid17
GEOGRAPHY:
PROs:
- You get to learn about things that are happening now and are affecting us today (particularly in human geography)
- Less essay writing
- If you were to continue geography at a higher level, it would benefit you in courses such as geography degrees, environmental studies, planning and even architecture.
CONS:
- A lot of people find some parts physical geography more boring than human or vice versa (i personally found both interesting so it depends really)

I didn't take history myself, but this is what i've heard from people generally:
HISTORY:
PROS:
CONS:
- May be difficult if you don't like essay writing especially under timed conditions

thannkyou soo much< just what i need
Reply 13
added a poll above pls vote guys.^
GEOGRAPHY:
PROs:
- Less essay writing
CONS:

HISTORY:
PROS:
CONS:

There is no coursework in History -.-
No idea about Geography, but I doubt it.
Original post by Bill Nye
There is no coursework in History -.-
No idea about Geography, but I doubt it.

There is coursework for both. Maybe it depends on the exam board? Or maybe they got rid of it this year.
There is coursework for both. Maybe it depends on the exam board? Or maybe they got rid of it this year.

They got rid of coursework for nearly all subjects
I am taking History instead of Geography for my GCSEs. I find History much more interesting, as you learn different (and important) historical events that have occurred, and I find that it links to some of my other subjects better than Geography - namely, Economics (learning about the Wall Street Crash, and America's depression - links to inflation, boom and bust, etc) and English (we studied Animal Farm, so events from the Russian Revolution that we learn are useful for English). However, it is your choice: whichever you prefer the most, pick that one, because if your grades are similar in the subjects, the one you enjoy most will be easier to revise for and you will probably get better grades. However, I would have thought that History would be more useful for Law.
[QUOTE="username3765926;76291134"]History. Its far more interesting and far more relevant to today's political climate. Don't take sociology, though. That's code for don't throw your life away.[/
Sociology is a good subject

There isn't coursework
history >>>>>>>>>>> geography

Quick Reply

Latest