The Student Room Group

Uni tuition fee review and more: Q&A with Sam Gyimah, Minister for Universities

Scroll to see replies

Sam, why have the Conservative governments of the last few years done so little to address the fact that technical and vocational education is still such a poor relation of academic education?

Will charging different fees for different courses actually drive students from poorer backgrounds into poorer and less prestigious courses thus, in effect, adding to the class inequality that seems so embedded in our education system?

Should we bring back maintenance grants to improve social mobility?

Do you think students from poorer backgrounds are put off university by the idea of having to get a loan?
When you tell people what you studied do you say peepee ee or do you list the subjects?

Did you enjoy studying peepee :teehee:
How much was your student loan debt on graduation and how much have you repaid?
What do you plan to do about the University Strikes?

What do you think of my idea to reduce costs at University?: make expensive modules optional instead of compulsory and thus students who don't want to do those modules don't have to do them and the University saves the costs from those expensive modules so everyone wins! For example, many students aren't at all interested in practical lab classes preferring more theoretical causes so why should they do such courses when they cost the University so much and they want to do them?
Original post by EY1001
Why have you allowed the interest rate to be set at such a punitively high level and what do you plan to do about it?
Are you planning to look at the levels of the maintenance loan as at 18 we're supposed to be independent but there's no way that you can pay for accommodation and food without handouts from parents who may not always be willing or able to contribute?
If the fee level is reduced will this apply retrospectively to those who start a degree this year or is it worth taking a year out in the hope it will be much cheaper next year?

Interest rates are set by the MPC
Reply 25
Original post by Appleorpear
Interest rates are set by the MPC

The student loan rate isn't tied to the BOE base rate. It's tied to the RPI.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
What's your favourite way to cook eggs?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
The student loan rate isn't tied to the BOE base rate. It's tied to the RPI.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I thought he was talking about the BoE interest rates
I think alot of universities have expanded far too aggressively over past few years, giving rise to a number of unconditional offers and we have seen lower ranked universities also aggressively recruit whilst falsely implying a unique level of access to the sports or entertainment industry.

Do you support bringing back a cap on university places ? Should the number of places a university can offer be linked to how many students find graduate employment with in 6 months ?

ps Please dont introduce different fees for different courses, its very hard to predict the future and I dont think the govt would do a good job of picking good and bad courses, its far too open to political cycle. It would lead to a distortion of student choices, another factor to weigh up
(edited 6 years ago)
What is your opinion on unconditional-if-firm offers given out by some universities? Are these a form of bribery, and do they encourage students to underperform at A-level?
Should there be a return of some form of ema for over 19s in fe? At the moment there’s no maintenance funding for someone who is studying in FE.
Hi! Will the tuition fees be lowered for international students as well? Thanks you
Any news on removing international students from the immigration cap?
If STEM degrees are more expensive than other degrees in the future, what will be done to ensure students from low income backgrounds are not put off these degrees?

Do you think the current student finance system is sustainable long term when most students will not repay everything they have borrowed? If not, what would you like to do to change this?

How will you continue to ensure that working in UK universities is attractive to academics in order to keep the standard and reputation of UK higher education high worldwide?
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
We're going to go tomorrow and film the interview and then we'll upload an article with the video in it :woo:

alright can you message me when it happens

Okay :hat2:
Okay :hat2:

Still not out? :frown:
Reply 37
Still not out? :frown:

Unlikely on a weekend... I'm sure TSR will be putting it up as soon as it's ready.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry this took a bit longer than expected :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLI2QQqUJfM

I'll be putting it in an article on TSR too in a bit & properly updating everyone, but thought you might want a first look! :smile:
Reply 39
Sorry this took a bit longer than expected :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLI2QQqUJfM

I'll be putting it in an article on TSR too in a bit & properly updating everyone, but thought you might want a first look! :smile:

He's "only just come across" unconditional if firm offers...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending