The Student Room Group

Teenage Muslim Girl and Feminist AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aardwolf
Well, it is indisputably a choice whether somebody engages in homosexual behaviour or not. If somebody is attracted to people of the same gender, they do not have to act on it, just like a pedophile does not have to act on their attraction to children (not that I am against homosexual behaviour at all, I'm just clarifying the facts).

Thank you...someone willing enough to convey the simple truth about homosexuality. Hate it when people try to twist scientific fact to pander to societal issues.
Original post by Anonymous
Actually cannot believe the number of men who probably aren't muslims who are trying to argue the principles of Islam to a Muslim woman...

And you seem to be under the delusion that being a Muslim automatically makes you more educated on Islam than all non-Muslims. That simply isn’t true and this website alone has demonstrated that many Muslims’ knowledge of their own religion is dire and the number of times they’ve had to be corrected by non-Muslims is...well, I’ve lost count.
Actually cannot believe the number of men who probably aren't muslims who are trying to argue the principles of Islam to a Muslim woman...

It's actually hilarious :rofl: tbf no one takes them seriously anyways
Original post by Oruese
Lived in northern nigeria which i can tell you is pretty "die hard"

so be quiet

#rekt
What has the fact you're a teenager got to do with anything?

Only question I could think of.
Original post by remaal

& noo, ure not stating 'facts'. you pulled up some out-of-context quotes from the Quran (in english btw, which is not as accurate as the original arabic) .

Well given it’s an English Forum. I would have expect him to use English quotes.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
And you seem to be under the delusion that being a Muslim automatically makes you more educated on Islam than all non-Muslims. That simply isn’t true and this website alone has demonstrated that many Muslims’ knowledge of their own religion is dire and the number of times they’ve had to be corrected by non-Muslims is...well, I’ve lost count.

The mis-information of the masses allows them to be easily controlled, the good ol'catholic church tried to do this back in the day, banning all forms of text concerning the bible unless you were a priest. Till the printing press and martin luther came along.
Original post by Charliepow
how do I react to those few Muslims that use their religion as a way to oppress or look down upon lgtb people? i hope not to offend you btw I'm just curious as Ibe had someone be deeply homophobic to me and when I went to my friends they just replied with well that's his religion.
thanks

i’m an ex-muslim (not anti-muslim!!) lesbian so i really relate to that homophobia from muslims, esp as i live in a muslim community (im closeted btw so the homophobia i witness is passive, not directed at me but rather towards lgbt in general. “behind-their-backs” homophobia, the worst kind...)

here’s the thing. i’m not gonna lie to you. being lgbt (being gay & transgender specifically, other sexualities/gender identities aren’t really recognised) is a major sin in islam. it’s why often, lgbt muslims are the first to leave islam. HOWEVER. islam is a religion of peace and tolerance, so muslims must be tolerant with those that they disagree with. this way we can co-exist peacefully (this only applies where muslims are minorities, though. in a majority muslim society, with sharia law..lgbt are punished. lgbt MUSLIMS, to clarify! though being very ~openly~ lgbt in a muslim society, as a non-muslim, can be seen as corruption, and that’d have its own punishment. don’t take my word on that though, it’s probably a law thing & not a religion thing. im assuming you don’t live in a country with sharia law so this doesn’t really apply to you)

..anyway. those muslims were not right to oppress you like that. they still disagree with you, and they don’t necessarily support you, but they shouldn’t discriminate against you.

man though..i totally get the superiority thing. im hesitant to say this, bc islam is already so vilified and i don’t wanna “expose a flaw in it” if you will, but that priority thing does come from the religion. muslims believe that they’re enlightened and are superior knowledge-wise. howeverrr, egoism and TREATING people as inferior is very frowned upon in islam. so there you gonna on that. they shouldn’t *treat* you as inferior. if they do, it’s even against their religion.
Original post by Charliepow
how do I react to those few Muslims that use their religion as a way to oppress or look down upon lgtb people? i hope not to offend you btw I'm just curious as Ibe had someone be deeply homophobic to me and when I went to my friends they just replied with well that's his religion.
thanks

i’m an ex-muslim (not anti-muslim!!) lesbian so i really relate to that homophobia from muslims, especially as i live in a muslim community (i’m closeted btw so the homophobia i witness is passive, not directed at me but rather towards lgbt in general. “behind-their-backs” homophobia, the worst kind...)

here’s the thing. im not gonna lie to you. being lgbt (being gay & transgender specifically, other sexualities/gender identities aren’t really recognised) is a major sin in islam. it’s why often not, lgbt muslims are the first to convert. HOWEVER. islam is a religion of peace and tolerance, so muslims must be tolerant with those that they disagree with. this way we can co-exist peacefully (this only applies where muslims are minorities, though. in a majority muslim society, with sharia law..lgbt are punished. lgbt MUSLIMS, to clarify! though, being ~very~ openly lgbt in a muslim society, as a non-muslim, can be seen as corruption, and that’d have its own punishment. though that could be law not religion so don’t take my word for it. i’m assuming you don’t live in a country with sharia law so this doesn’t really apply to you)

..anyway. those muslims were not right to oppress you like that. they still disagree with you, and they don’t necessarily support you, but they shouldn’t discriminate against you.

man though..i totally get the superiority thing. i’m hesitant to say this, bc islam is already so vilified and i don’t wanna “expose a flaw in it,” if you will, but that priority thing does come from the religion. muslims believe that they’re enlightened and are superior knowledge-wise. howeverrr, egoism and TREATING people as inferior is very frowned upon in islam. so there you g on that. they shouldn’t *treat* you as inferior. and if they do, know they’re going against their religion.
i’m an ex-muslim (not anti-muslim!!) lesbian so i really relate to that homophobia from muslims, especially as i live in a muslim community (i’m closeted btw so the homophobia i witness is passive, not directed at me but rather towards lgbt in general. “behind-their-backs” homophobia, the worst kind...)

here’s the thing. im not gonna lie to you. being lgbt (being gay & transgender specifically, other sexualities/gender identities aren’t really recognised) is a major sin in islam. it’s why often not, lgbt muslims are the first to convert. HOWEVER. islam is a religion of peace and tolerance, so muslims must be tolerant with those that they disagree with. this way we can co-exist peacefully (this only applies where muslims are minorities, though. in a majority muslim society, with sharia law..lgbt are punished. lgbt MUSLIMS, to clarify! though, being ~very~ openly lgbt in a muslim society, as a non-muslim, can be seen as corruption, and that’d have its own punishment. though that could be law not religion so don’t take my word for it. i’m assuming you don’t live in a country with sharia law so this doesn’t really apply to you)

man though..i totally get the superiority thing. i’m hesitant to say this, bc islam is already so vilified and i don’t wanna “expose a flaw in it,” if you will, but that priority thing does come from the religion. muslims believe that they’re enlightened and are superior knowledge-wise. howeverrr, egoism and TREATING people as inferior is very frowned upon in islam. so there you g on that. they shouldn’t *treat* you as inferior. and if they do, know they’re going against their religion.

Thank you so much and I just want to wish you the best, I can't imagine how tough it must be to live a community where you have to hide yourself.
ROFL to all the people crying about hijab, it is a symbol of empowerment for me, no matter how much you try and debate against that, I will keep wearing it no matter what, as it empowers me :h:
Original post by Aardwolf
Sexual orientation can be influenced over time and it is not determined from birth unlike eye colour.

Sexual orientation cannot be influenced over time such that it changes and becomes different to that assigned your sex by biology inside your mother's womb.

Biology is made up of two components; anatomy and physiology. For a sexuality to be defined as being natural and normal it has to conform with both these components and be complimented in the partner chosen for a relationship. In men and women anatomy and physiology compliment each other. The physiology of the male compliments that of the female. They are therefore said to be biologically compatible with one another. Homosexuality, transsexuality and all other forms of sexual relations are not natural. The anatomy and physiology of the male does not compliment that of another male e.g. men or women cannot have children with the same sex. Men lack an orifice for a penis in other males. Women lack an organ for the vagina in other women. All forms of non-hetrosexaulity are not biologically natural. They are not the result of nature but rather nurture.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by Oruese
on the contrary im pissed off at pretty ignorant people like you perpetuating this totally stupid and completely false narative of muslim women being empowered. Some of these "women" are actually girls forced into marriages with stupid disgusting men when they're like 14 or 15 and get knocked up immediately and then die cos their body can't take the strain COS THEY'RE KIDS.

Only to leave that society and to come here and see imbeciles like you and the thread creator claiming hijab is "empowerment" like islam and female equality are reconcilable talkless of being possible.

Go and live in those societies talk your feminist crap and pray you live to post another stupid comment

Forced marriage has nothing to do with Islam. It's a cultural thing that sick people have diluted with religion.

Forced marriage is against Islam.
Original post by Know Your Enemy
What has the fact you're a teenager got to do with anything?

Only question I could think of.

Okay, my new question is why you no answer my original question? It's not exactly a proper question but this is an AMA and it was all I could think of. :laugh:
Reply 74
Okay, my new question is why you no answer my original question? It's not exactly a proper question but this is an AMA and it was all I could think of. :laugh:

Sorry, I didn't see your old question, I don't think there are so many posts on here.

A
Original post by Cod3tte
Sorry, I didn't see your old question, I don't think there are so many posts on here.

A

It's no problem. I just wondered why you felt the need to mention you were a teenager in the title when people of any age/religious demographic can classify themselves as a feminist.
Reply 76

And I guess me being a teen, well... I don't really know to be honest, I guess it's because as a teenager I'm learning more about women's right's, equality ect.

:smile:
What is your favourite aspect of being a muslim?
Reply 78
Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx
What is your favourite aspect of being a muslim?

Call me crazy, but I enjoy fasting and Ramadan.

I started to keep them all when I was 12, and just learning to have the strength to go without was really good for me. Plus it felt really good to finally break my fast after the long day, and it actually made me appreciate the food God has given me.
Original post by Cod3tte
Call me crazy, but I enjoy fasting and Ramadan.

I started to keep them all when I was 12, and just learning to have the strength to go without was really good for me. Plus it felt really good to finally break my fast after the long day, and it actually made me appreciate the food God has given me.

That is good to hear x
When you first started fasting, was it your own choice or your parents advised you to start?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending