The Student Room Group

How is the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LostAccount
Sheffield and opportunities in the same sentence?

Do you live in a parallel universe?

"I visited two university cities, a tourist town for old folk, an overhyped half retirement city half university town and a decent-but-boring port city. On this basis, I feel I have a full understanding of life outside of London due to my weekend (or less) visits to places I find boring to my interests."

So, are you saying that those cities aren't a reflective representation of the UK as a larger whole? I've spent time in other small towns and also visited Bristol. They did not even compare to London, and even cities like Birmingham and Manchester aren't comparable to London in terms of what it has to offer. I went to Portsmouth a couple of weeks before Christmas and asked the shop assistant when they closed. 7PM, he said. I was stunned and asked "is that because it's Saturday, or...?"
And he simply replied "Oh no, that's because it's the Christmas season, so we're open a bit later than usual. But, in January we'll go back to our usual closing time, which is 6PM"
I smiled and left rather quickly. That was in Portsmouth.

Employment prospects in Norwich aren't comparable to employment prospects in London. Have fun living in Worcester, though :smile:
Original post by angelinahx
So, are you saying that those cities aren't a reflective representation of the UK as a larger whole? I've spent time in other small towns and also visited Bristol. They did not even compare to London, and even cities like Birmingham and Manchester aren't comparable to London in terms of what it has to offer. I went to Portsmouth a couple of weeks before Christmas and asked the shop assistant when they closed. 7PM, he said. I was stunned and asked "is that because it's Saturday, or...?"
And he simply replied "Oh no, that's because it's the Christmas season, so we're open a bit later than usual. But, in January we'll go back to our usual closing time, which is 6PM"

Employment prospects in Norwich aren't comparable to employment prospects in London. Have fun living in Worcester, though :smile:

Just because other cities you’ve visited haven’t been to your liking, doesn’t make them cr*p.

I hate London and avoid it as much as I can, I find it far too busy and unfriendly. But I can appreciate that is has a lot to offer, it just isn’t for me. Instead of talking sh*te about the rest of the UK (most of which you haven’t spent a considerable amount, or any, time in) give useful reasons why you don’t like them and be open minded enough to understand that your taste isn’t the same as everyone else’s. E.g. someone who hates shopping isn’t going to care when shops close, and wouldn’t be put off by that factor at all.
Original post by cat_mac
Just because other cities you’ve visited haven’t been to your liking, doesn’t make them cr*p.

I hate London and avoid it as much as I can, I find it far too busy and unfriendly. But I can appreciate that is has a lot to offer, it just isn’t for me. Instead of talking sh*te about the rest of the UK (most of which you haven’t spent a considerable amount, or any, time in) give useful reasons why you don’t like them and be open minded enough to understand that your taste isn’t the same as everyone else’s. E.g. someone who hates shopping isn’t going to care when shops close, and wouldn’t be put off by that factor at all.

1. Employment prospects in London are comparable to the employment prospects in NYC or Tokyo and unparalleled to Cambridge, Brighton or even Manchester.
2. The main reason many small British cities are doing as well as they are is London pumping money into them and paying more tax than the next 37 largest cities combined so that Bernie in Watford can receive his welfare checks.
3. The culture in London is unparalleled to any other city in the UK. You can view Michelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci paintings, discover anarchist bookshops, watch world class theatre plays in the West End and many things are free.
4. There is something for everyone. Whether your interests are books, dance, theatre, writing, indie pop, martial arts or kittens you will find a range of cultural and brilliant activities to do in London and you never run out of things to do, art exhibitions to discover, restaurants in Camden to eat in, rooftop bars in Hoxton to drink in or clubs to go to.
5. It's a world city. Swansea is not.

That's okay, people thriving in energetic environments with the privilege of being able to take advantage of living in a world class metropolis typically avoid Durham and Kettering as much as possible too.
(edited 6 years ago)
1. Employment prospects in London are comparable to the employment prospects in NYC or Tokyo and unparalleled to Cambridge, Brighton or even Manchester.
2. The main reason many small British cities are doing as well as they are is London pumping money into them and paying more tax than the next 37 largest cities combined so that Bernie in Watford can receive his welfare checks.
3. The culture in London is unparalleled to any other city in the UK. You can view Michelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci paintings, discover anarchist bookshops, watch world class theatre plays in the West End and many things are free.
4. There is something for everyone. Whether your interests are books, dance, theatre, writing, indie pop, martial arts or kittens you will find a range of cultural and brilliant activities to do in London and you never run out of things to do, art exhibitions to discover, restaurants in Camden to eat in, rooftop bars in Hoxton to drink in or clubs to go to.
5. It's a world city. Swansea is not.

That's okay, people thriving in energetic environments with the privilege of being able to take advantage of living in a world class metropolis typically avoid Durham and Kettering as much as possible too.

Your ignorance is truly astounding.
It's great... Apart from Brexit lol
Original post by cat_mac
Your ignorance is truly astounding.

Why is that, exactly? You asked me to explain to you why London is and will remain objectively better than Portsmouth or Worcester.
Why is that, exactly? You asked me to explain to you why London is and will remain objectively better than Portsmouth or Worcester.

Can you not read? I asked you to be open minded and realise that you aren’t in a position to judge the entire UK from your limited experiences, and that people enjoy different things in a place to live. The success of London was never up for debate, the childish dismissal of the rest of the country and the other three countries in the UK based on the shops not being open late is ridiculous.

But if you couldn’t comprehend my previous post I highly doubt you’ll manage with this. Good luck in your overpopulated expensive city!
Original post by WiSi
angelinahx, I really appreciate your help.
I think that money is not the most important thing is life, even if the system make them to be.
So I won't move to another place just for money, it depends how much more money I will have to earn.
My impression of UK, is that there is a huge different between rich and poor people, but this is true also in the US.

Anyway, 930 euros per month for what?
Just insurance ?
I'm started to think that gender equality in work exist no where.....

Those UK's cities you nominated to me looks very clean, and modern, they do not look bad, I don't know why you say that are so bad.

Australia is very far, why it should be better then UK?
Was founded by UK, was an old colony.

"But for the love of God, don’t randomly move to some city with 200,000 people where you’ll make £6.5 hourly as a shop assistant."
This is the reality of the city where I live, 100.000 people and if you work in the restaurant you are paid 7 euros per hour.

Before moving I intend to get a bachelor and a master degree.

I think that there are no country that give you a good job without a preparation.

20 years ago Italy was 4th in the where to born index...today is 26 in the index...and the economy is worst then the Greek's one.
development....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index
Here UK is in the 16th position.

Different people like different things, and obviously lots of people like other cities in the UK, because they chose to live in them! Birmingham and Manchester are probably England's second cities, while Glasgow and Edinburgh in Scotland are the UK's second cities IMO- they aren't world cities, comparable with London, and the jobs available may depend more on your field- but the cost of living in these cities will be a lot cheaper too.

In London, rents are utterly insane, taking away a huge chunk of your take home pay. Most people who work in London will live out of the city and have an insane commute instead, especially if they've bought a house rather than renting. Obviously a lot of people love London and it's a great city, and for some careers it might be your only option.

However there are loads of other great cities in the UK, such as Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Cardiff and Belfast. The jobs and careers available will vary from city to city, but most will have lots of opportunities- the cost of living will be loads cheaper than London, and you'll be able to explore the UK and have great connections back to Europe.

However, all of this only really applies if you were to come this summer. Brexit is going to have a huge impact on the ability of EU citizens to come and work in the UK (single market membership is not looking likely :frown: ) our economy is going to tank and everything will be a shambles. If you're aiming to come in 3-4 years time, then I would definitely look elsewhere in the EU/world.
Original post by Realitysreflexx

This homeownership obsession is silly, most people in the UK just as in the US own their home but it isnt by any means paid off.

It overwhelmingly is by the time of retirement and often before hitting 50. Hence ability to pass something on, as well as earn for yourself.

OP wont be living that life regardless, this was meant to give him a pragmatic view of his opportunities, he will face far more challenges in the UK with his limited resources....

Your 'pragmatic view' is nothing more than fear mongering diatribe about things that haven't happened yet.

I wanted to retain him the EU for his own benefit rather then expose him to your working class identity crisis that caused Brexit. If things were so rosy in the UK for the common man their wouldnt have been a Brexit.

Brexit happened for political not economic reasons. Did the working class identity crisis cause Norway to vote against joining the EU? Did the working class identity crisis cause Switzerland to vote against joining the EU?

Britons simply do not feel like 'Europeans', which makes sense as it always has been the least likely polled populace to describe themselves as 'European only' or 'European and (nationality)' or '(nationality) and European.'

The German economy is far stronger then the UK and you know it. Those cars you drive primarily german and financed.

British cars are primarily American, given that the top selling brands are Ford and Vauxhall respectively, who are owned by Ford and GM.

The German economy is not 'far stronger'. German GDP fell by -5.6% compared to the UK falling -4.3% in 2009. Manufacturing economies are far more dependent on global macroeconomic circumstances.

Consumption economies like the UK are not. The UK has a larger consumption than Germany even though it has 20 million fewer people. That in itself says Britons have higher earnings. As Britain is primarily consumption-driven, a 'catastrophic Brexit' will not really hurt Britain that much.

Compare that to Germany which exports 80 billion to the UK every year. A catastrophic Brexit will have a far larger impact on BMW and Mercedes than Mr. Average from Swindon.

Every been to Munich???? Koln??? the Ruhr metropolitan area, Germany is rich powerful, PRODUCES and doesnt just consume..

And who will Germany be exporting it's trade gap to once Britain apparently falls on its own sword?

Perhaps some other country wants to buy a million German cars each year.

Some areas are weaker such as eastern germany (reunification struggles after years of communist brainwash). Other then that its very rich.

Very rich?

Have you yourself been to the Ruhr? Essen? Dortmund? These are hellholes comparable to Sheffield and West Yorkshire in general. Post-industrial Hertz IV heavens.

Other then the inflated earnings in London and the south the north is mighty poor.

So just like East Germany, Schleswig, Bremen, Hamburg and Niedersachsen then.

Also I love your 'other than', lol. As if Eastern Germany is a different country. Well so is the north of England really, if we want to discount stuff. It's an anomaly.

The poorest district in Germany is Thuringia, which has a GDP PPS of 19700, directly comparable to poor Liverpool in Merseyside district with a GDP PPS of 19800.

MeckPomm has a GDP PPS equal to South Yorkshire at 19900.

Saxony-Anhalt has a GDP PPS equal to Northern Ireland at 21000.

Rhineland-Palatinate has a GDP PPS equal to Greater Manchester at 23500.

Upper Franconia (Bavaria) has a GDP PPS equal to Hampshire at 27000.

Kassel has a GDP PPS equal to Gloucestershire at 28000.

Lower Bavaria has a GDP PPS equal to Cheshire at 28800.

Stuttgart has a GDP PPS equal to Buckinghamshire at 35000.

Upper Bavaria has a GDP PPS equal to Northeast Scotland at 40000.

Suddenly your German Wealth Dream doesn't sound so rosy.

Now lets put all of that into the context of sector composition: German GDP is inflated by manufacturing (corporate profits) and British GDP is inflated by housing and consumption (personal income).....

Data from Eurostat.

Literally the only problem in the UK that is pulling it down is the uncontrollable housing system. Beyond that it is fairly similar to the US and Switzerland in structure.

Australia is also the only capitalist economy in the developing hotbed of asia, thats an easy meal, with developed economy knowledge to dominate the region in banking.

>tfw most of Australian investments and deposits do not even come from Asia
>tfw casually ignores Canada

London wont be banking in Europe soon and that might become an issue, you may move to australia in search of work lol.

Right.
It overwhelmingly is by the time of retirement and often before hitting 50. Hence ability to pass something on, as well as earn for yourself.

Your 'pragmatic view' is nothing more than fear mongering diatribe about things that haven't happened yet.

Brexit happened for political not economic reasons. Did the working class identity crisis cause Norway to vote against joining the EU? Did the working class identity crisis cause Switzerland to vote against joining the EU?

Britons simply do not feel like 'Europeans', which makes sense as it always has been the least likely polled populace to describe themselves as 'European only' or 'European and (nationality)' or '(nationality) and European.'

British cars are primarily American, given that the top selling brands are Ford and Vauxhall respectively, who are owned by Ford and GM.

The German economy is not 'far stronger'. German GDP fell by -5.6% compared to the UK falling -4.3% in 2009. Manufacturing economies are far more dependent on global macroeconomic circumstances.

Consumption economies like the UK are not. The UK has a larger consumption than Germany even though it has 20 million fewer people. That in itself says Britons have higher earnings. As Britain is primarily consumption-driven, a 'catastrophic Brexit' will not really hurt Britain that much.

Compare that to Germany which exports 80 billion to the UK every year. A catastrophic Brexit will have a far larger impact on BMW and Mercedes than Mr. Average from Swindon.

And who will Germany be exporting it's trade gap to once Britain apparently falls on its own sword?

Perhaps some other country wants to buy a million German cars each year.

Very rich?

Have you yourself been to the Ruhr? Essen? Dortmund? These are hellholes comparable to Sheffield and West Yorkshire in general. Post-industrial Hertz IV heavens.

So just like East Germany, Schleswig, Bremen, Hamburg and Niedersachsen then.

Also I love your 'other than', lol. As if Eastern Germany is a different country. Well so is the north of England really, if we want to discount stuff. It's an anomaly.

The poorest district in Germany is Thuringia, which has a GDP PPS of 19700, directly comparable to poor Liverpool in Merseyside district with a GDP PPS of 19800.

MeckPomm has a GDP PPS equal to South Yorkshire at 19900.

Saxony-Anhalt has a GDP PPS equal to Northern Ireland at 21000.

Rhineland-Palatinate has a GDP PPS equal to Greater Manchester at 23500.

Upper Franconia (Bavaria) has a GDP PPS equal to Hampshire at 27000.

Kassel has a GDP PPS equal to Gloucestershire at 28000.

Lower Bavaria has a GDP PPS equal to Cheshire at 28800.

Stuttgart has a GDP PPS equal to Buckinghamshire at 35000.

Upper Bavaria has a GDP PPS equal to Northeast Scotland at 40000.

Suddenly your German Wealth Dream doesn't sound so rosy.

Now lets put all of that into the context of sector composition: German GDP is inflated by manufacturing (corporate profits) and British GDP is inflated by housing and consumption (personal income).....

Data from Eurostat.

Literally the only problem in the UK that is pulling it down is the uncontrollable housing system. Beyond that it is fairly similar to the US and Switzerland in structure.

>tfw most of Australian investments and deposits do not even come from Asia
>tfw casually ignores Canada

Right.

You can pull as many stats 📊📊 as you like but whats utterly childish is you thinking that you make up some substantial sum of trade with us.

Even if trade tariffs were to go up and slightly increase the cost of owning a bmw, audi, or mercedes as if anyone would switch to British cars???

Higher tariffs wont effect us because we have superior products.

Your consumers will simply suffered markedly the not so rich, which is why OP in his unstable situation shouldnt risk his time in the UK.

I can survive UK inflation, im concerned about your overall living standards. If inflation goes up your overstretched in debt society will get real problems.

And if the bank of England has to raise rates to combat inflation.... bye bye credit, hello higher mortage payments, then forced on tenants and the cycle goes.

All your economic growth is built upon being in a free trade easy credit environment,

Well your about to leave that system....So worry more about your own issues then the lack of wealth in the worlds 3rd strongest econonomy...
Reply 70
Canada has a bigger banking sector than Germany and France put together and their only access is to themselves. Australia has a bigger banking sector than Germany as well.

You have less uncertainty yes.

You also have lower earnings and far lower chances of ever owning your own home, or just about any wealth to pass to your own kids.

The median wealth of a German family is half of an Italian one. It is absurdly low and it is just an inch above Slovenia. Most Germans don't own a home and never will. There's also a very hard time in finding credit, and Germans rely on savings to fund their purchases. It 's why very rare in Britain to find a car 10 years and older, whereas in Germany that's the standard.

according to Credit Suisse Wealth Datebook 2017: http://publications.credit-suisse.com/tasks/render/file/index.cfm?fileid=A8BD95FB-A213-1EE7-59CC7F2F001A11AF

Median Wealth per adult
1) Switzerland - $229,059
2) Australia - $195,417
3) Belgium - $161,589
7) United Kingdom - $102,641
12) Spain - $63,369
13) United States - $55,876
14) Germany - $47,091
15) Sweden - $45,235

There are advantages and disadvantages to every developed country. Earning potential and wealth are not one of the advantages for Germany, and certainly not over the UK. Quality of life is probably better, as are prices, but not earnings.

One would only emigrate to Germany if they want to become German and live there for the rest of their life. It is certainly not the location for a quick buck before you return to Italy.

That's an oversimplification. Different countries have different needs and wants from Brexit. To imply that the EU is united in its position to the UK is absurd.
Poland would be more than happy to see the UK go without monetary contribution and single market, but want them in the freedom of movement area.
Germany doesn't mind the UK leaving the freedom of movement area, but wants them to continue to contribute to the EU budget and stay in the single market as its crucial to the survival of many German export businesses.

First of all GBP/USD is today in the same position as before the referendum. It has climbed back up over the last year. So this is a redundant conversation.

Hypothetically in terms of food, the UK could strike those very free trade agreements it claims it wants with countries who are net exporters. Ukraine of course being the closest and cheapest fertile basket case, and in desperate need of any income.

First of all that's ******** - Brits have a higher income than Germans.
Second of all that's economically incoherent. Lower incomes do not spur an appreciation in the currency strength. That's nonsensical. If anything, it's the opposite.

I found this online.
Anyway, the median salary is not always representative to the real situation, because a foreign can't understand how much cost the life there, and how much money of the one you earned, you can spend.

This is why I opened this thread, to ask people that live there and know better then stats how is the life.

For example India have a very high GDP, but it doesn't seem that there are good opportunities there.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 71

Where I live, I never seen a shop that stay opened after 7:30 PM.
Reply 72
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Different people like different things, and obviously lots of people like other cities in the UK, because they chose to live in them! Birmingham and Manchester are probably England's second cities, while Glasgow and Edinburgh in Scotland are the UK's second cities IMO- they aren't world cities, comparable with London, and the jobs available may depend more on your field- but the cost of living in these cities will be a lot cheaper too.

In London, rents are utterly insane, taking away a huge chunk of your take home pay. Most people who work in London will live out of the city and have an insane commute instead, especially if they've bought a house rather than renting. Obviously a lot of people love London and it's a great city, and for some careers it might be your only option.

However there are loads of other great cities in the UK, such as Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Cardiff and Belfast. The jobs and careers available will vary from city to city, but most will have lots of opportunities- the cost of living will be loads cheaper than London, and you'll be able to explore the UK and have great connections back to Europe.

However, all of this only really applies if you were to come this summer. Brexit is going to have a huge impact on the ability of EU citizens to come and work in the UK (single market membership is not looking likely :frown: ) our economy is going to tank and everything will be a shambles. If you're aiming to come in 3-4 years time, then I would definitely look elsewhere in the EU/world.

I think and hope that with a degree will be easier to apply to the UK.
Reply 73
This homeownership obsession is silly, most people in the UK just as in the US own their home but it isnt by any means paid off.

Do you mean that in Germany people do not have about owning a house ?

Higher tariffs wont effect us because we have superior products.

Haha. The sheer arrogance and ignorance.

Anyways, speak to the German Chamber of Commerce and the CEOs of Volkswagen and BMW AG, they clearly disagree.

I can survive UK inflation, im concerned about your overall living standards. If inflation goes up your overstretched in debt society will get real problems.

Inflation is good for debt. It lowers the real value of it.

Basic maths and economics.
Haha. The sheer arrogance and ignorance.

Anyways, speak to the German Chamber of Commerce and the CEOs of Volkswagen and BMW AG, they clearly disagree.

Inflation is good for debt. It lowers the real value of it.

Basic maths and economics.

You really arent bright,

consumption is driven by an easy flow of credit, high inflation in a low rate of interest for banks lets them realize they are losing money through small business loans...

https://www.moneyexpert.com/debt/personal-insolvency-rates-rise-2nd-year-running/

furthermore,

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/national/administrations-rise-ahead-of-subtle-shift-towards-more-difficult-times-kpm

Your looking at past statistics and drawing irrelevant conclusions,

yet have no real understanding of personal debt levels, nor credit markets.

Economic growth is driven by ease of credit not by uncertainty and financial tightness.

more then target inflation causes central banks to have to raise rates in order to prevent banks from tightening credit yet causes further economic weakness by a rise in consumer prices.

Macroeconomics and credit markets, monetary system awareness.....
Original post by WiSi
I think and hope that with a degree will be easier to apply to the UK.

If coming to the UK is really important to you, I would look at doing a degree in something that will likely be a high need for the UK in the future- such as a healthcare profession or someone with niche skills in computing or engineering.

I don't agree with this position, but both main parties in the UK have said they don't want freedom of movement once the UK has left the EU. It might be that we have to accept it, or have to accept some level of movement, in order to get the deal we need, but this is a sticking point for the UK. Teresa May (the PM) is known for wanting strong controls on immigration from her time as home secretary.

I do think it's unrealistic to think in 3-4 years you will be able to come over to the UK easily in any field. However, chances are the economy will tank anyway, so you probably won't want to come here!

Ireland might be a good option, though, as they are an English speaking country and their economy is starting to improve again. They are also hoping to benefit from the UK leaving the EU as some institutions/companies will want an English speaking EU base. Dublin is a great city and I would love to spend a few years there!
You really arent bright,

consumption is driven by an easy flow of credit, high inflation in a low rate of interest for banks lets them realize they are losing money through small business loans...

https://www.moneyexpert.com/debt/personal-insolvency-rates-rise-2nd-year-running/

furthermore,

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/national/administrations-rise-ahead-of-subtle-shift-towards-more-difficult-times-kpm

Your looking at past statistics and drawing irrelevant conclusions,

yet have no real understanding of personal debt levels, nor credit markets.

Economic growth is driven by ease of credit not by uncertainty and financial tightness.

more then target inflation causes central banks to have to raise rates in order to prevent banks from tightening credit yet causes further economic weakness by a rise in consumer prices.

Macroeconomics and credit markets, monetary system awareness.....

you are so confused about everything it's not worth replying
you are so confused about everything it's not worth replying

Yet the bank of england announced this week, it wants to raise rates 3 times this year....

Yet the UK economy is the slowest growing major economy.

Your indenial or out of your depth.
I have spent extensive time in Manchester and I've visited Birmingham, Exeter, York, Brighton, Portsmouth, Bristol and Cambridge. These cities were so boring (except maybe Manchester and Bristol, which still can be explored in a weekend) that I wanted to immediately leave and go back to London.
The employment prospects in Portsmouth aren't equal to the ones in London hence why it's rated as one of the top places to be a student and why people from all over the world want to come and live here.

As I said, we get it. London is your life and everywhere else is sh*t and you know because you visited once. Can you actually hear yourself? Take your head out of your arse for five seconds, must be getting hard to breathe up there.

Quick Reply

Latest