The Student Room Group

On the road to 9s and A*A* Maths/FM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thekidwhogames
Yeah that's true aha I'm rushing the exams (but to a good 98+ UMS on average) since it's the last year.

Yeah that's true but I just find mechanics hard to understand as the physics behind it is beyond me. Thanks for the advice! You should take the AEA - it'll be a good qualification!

Yeah I have done a couple past papers and it is fun but I don't need it for my offer so.
Reply 61
That's a great result. You will definitely get the Hamilton - I'm assuming you're going for the book prize?

Your assumption is correct. My year has always done quite well in the Maths Challenge, so I'm not actually top in my year, as two of my friends are both exceptional at Maths(One got 127 Last year, the other got 123), so I usually come between 3rd or 5th in my year. Maclaurin is quite a tough one(114+), but I'm sure your make it, considering your so far ahead in Maths, good luck!
Reply 62
Damn that's really impressive - well done! In year 10, I wasn't allowed to take some modules so I just did the GCSE.

I'm doing the exact same modules apart from D1 - I'm either opting for M3 or S3.

What will you be taking in sixth form?

Definitely Chemistry and Physics as I got 9s in them in my mocks. My other mocks weren't as good.
Original post by AddQ7
Definitely Chemistry and Physics as I got 9s in them in my mocks. My other mocks weren't as good.

Will you only be taking 2?
Reply 64
Will you only be taking 2?

Yeah, I don't see what else I can do in year 12 and 13 apart from STEP and BMO.
You mentioned earlier that you might be doing some sort of maths programme at Imperial next year. About 2 months ago, my school have been suggesting that I should do something like that at Imperial, but not sure due to lack of information.
Original post by AddQ7
Yeah, I don't see what else I can do in year 12 and 13 apart from STEP and BMO.
You mentioned earlier that you might be doing some sort of maths programme at Imperial next year. About 2 months ago, my school have been suggesting that I should do something like that at Imperial, but not sure due to lack of information.

That's true. A sole focus on problem-solving can get us to full marks in Senior and scoring good marks on BMO1/BMO2 and STEP.

Yes there's some program that introduces you to first year undergraduate Maths work. The guy said he'll email me so I'll start it next month but haven't received it yet. I don't think if it's an actual thing or not.

So I'm focusing on problem solving/STEP next year. Are you also taking AEA this year?
Reply 66
That's true. A sole focus on problem-solving can get us to full marks in Senior and scoring good marks on BMO1/BMO2 and STEP.

Yes there's some program that introduces you to first year undergraduate Maths work. The guy said he'll email me so I'll start it next month but haven't received it yet. I don't think if it's an actual thing or not.

So I'm focusing on problem solving/STEP next year. Are you also taking AEA this year?

No, I'll probably do it next year. It's because I want to spend more time on my GCSEs (mainly English since I'm not very good at it).
Original post by AddQ7
No, I'll probably do it next year. It's because I want to spend more time on my GCSEs (mainly English since I'm not very good at it).

Ah fair enough - good luck with English and your other exams this year!
After reading all the posts on this thread...."These kids are mad"....

I'm holding a Cambridge maths offer, but think your intelligence and diligence have far exceeded mine..
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 69
Good Luck Man!
Original post by Ginpo
Good Luck Man!

Thanks man!
Update:

- So I competed in the IMC and qualified for the IMOK Maclaurin Olympiad (currently preparing for that)
- Got the GCSE Physics Olympiad to do
- Also officially finished FM (time for past papers); I learnt 2 modules over this half term
Update:

- So I competed in the IMC and qualified for the IMOK Maclaurin Olympiad (currently preparing for that)
- Also officially finished FM (time for past papers); I learnt 2 modules over this half term

Well done:tongue:
The physics Olympiad look interesting, wish my school did it:frown:...good luck with it!
Hey

I'm currently in year 11 and my exams start in 3 months so I may as well start this thread now in order to monitor my progress and see if I get what I'm hoping for... the real intensity begins now

Completed Qualifications:

Spoiler

What I'd like to get this year:

Spoiler

Class tests:

Spoiler

Extra stuff:

Spoiler

What I want to do:

Spoiler

Stress:

Spoiler

Ali, back at flexing lol
Hey, only just checking in because I haven't been on TSR but I do want to be kept updated! :h:
Original post by YD17HXM
Ali, back at flexing lol

Lowe it bare mandem doing it on TSR so may as well (I know this person irl, he's a friend)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 76
Update:

Which FM modules are you doing out of interest?
Reply 77
Original post by Notnek

OP is doing FP1-3, S2, M2 and M3
Original post by Notnek

Black Water already replied but I'm taking FP1-FP3, S2, M2-M3 for FM.
Reply 79
Black Water already replied but I'm taking FP1-FP3, S2, M2-M3 for FM.

Which one did you find the hardest / will require the most revision?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending