The Student Room Group

On the road to 9s and A*A* Maths/FM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
How much revision did you do this weekend?
Original post by Notnek
Which one did you find the hardest / will require the most revision?

Definitely M2 and M3 (especially M3). I find applied a lot harder than pure. I loved the pure content but didn't enjoy the applied (and also my physics GCSE knowledge is very limited compared to mechanics here so I had to spend a while) and also there's not a lot of videos on it xD

But the textbook is very useful (especially mixed excercises) so it got me through it. Also there aren't any Solomon papers I believe for applied which is a bit annoying since they were very useful.
Original post by peeked
How much revision did you do this weekend?

I began revising for GCSEs. I revised science (I have an upcoming GCSE mock) from the start, revised some Computing, completed several IMOK problems and did some FM papers. Still got a lot to do for the rest of the day though :angry:
Reply 83
Original post by thekidwhogames
I began revising for GCSEs. I revised science (I have an upcoming GCSE mock) from the start, revised some Computing, completed several IMOK problems and did some FM papers. Still got a lot to do for the rest of the day though :angry:

Wow sounds quite productive, how many hours do you do on the weekend and on the weekdays?
Original post by peeked
Wow sounds quite productive, how many hours do you do on the weekend and on the weekdays?

Pretty much 24/7 to juggle in IMOK, Maths/FM and GCSEs and stuff. It's quite annoying revising 24/7 because you get no time to relax (waiting for sixth form to end this madness) :tongue:
Reply 85
Definitely M2 and M3 (especially M3). I find applied a lot harder than pure. I loved the pure content but didn't enjoy the applied (and also my physics GCSE knowledge is very limited compared to mechanics here so I had to spend a while) and also there's not a lot of videos on it xD

The M2/M3 Edexcel exams (are you Edexcel?) can throw up the some pretty tough questions so they'll probably require the most past paper practice to get used to the style of questions. I'm still surprised by the difficulty level of some of the M2/3 Edexcel questions I see. Make sure you practice IAL papers at some point to prepare you for the hard questions.
Original post by Notnek
The M2/M3 Edexcel exams (are you Edexcel?) can throw up the some pretty tough questions so they'll probably require the most past paper practice to get used to the style of questions. I'm still surprised by the difficulty level of some of the M2/3 Edexcel questions I see. Make sure you practice IAL papers at some point to prepare you for the hard questions.

Yeah M2/M3 Edexcel questions are a little annoying. I did IAL and (R) papers for everything but applied so far. I wish there's an option to take all pure.
Reply 87
Pretty much 24/7 to juggle in IMOK, Maths/FM and GCSEs and stuff. It's quite annoying revising 24/7 because you get no time to relax (waiting for sixth form to end this madness) :tongue:

Wow that's pretty insane, well done. Quite inspiring, I'm aiming to revise around 3 hours a school night and 6 hours on weekend days for now, 27 hours total.
Reply 88
Yeah M2/M3 Edexcel questions are a little annoying. I did IAL and (R) papers for everything but applied so far. I wish there's an option to take all pure.

You could’ve taken the new specification Maths and FM. Fair enough you’ll have to do S1/M1 for normal applied maths which you’d be ok on. For FM, you can take all Pure modules and don’t have to do any applied if you don’t want to.
Original post by Black Water
You could’ve taken the new specification Maths and FM. Fair enough you’ll have to do S1/M1 for normal applied maths which you’d be ok on. For FM, you can take all Pure modules and don’t have to do any applied if you don’t want to.

Really?
Original post by Black Water

The new FM isn't available this year though - I've been told first entry for A2 FM is 2019?
Original post by peeked
Wow that's pretty insane, well done. Quite inspiring, I'm aiming to revise around 3 hours a school night and 6 hours on weekend days for now, 27 hours total.

Thanks - no doubt with that, I think you can easily get 9s! What eaxm board do you do for your subjects?
Reply 92
Thanks - no doubt with that, I think you can easily get 9s! What eaxm board do you do for your subjects?

Maths - AQA
English Lang and lit - AQA
Science - OCR 21st century
Computing - OCR
French - AQA
Religious studies - Edexcel
Business - AQA

My school only does 10 GCSEs :frown: would’ve loved to do FM and like 1 more gcse
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by peeked
Maths - AQA
English Lang and lit - AQA
Science - OCR 21st century
Computing - OCR
French - AQA
Religious studies - Edexcel
Business - AQA

We do the same for Eng, Maths, Sci, Computing but not the same for French. How you finding Science/Computing OCR 21st century? You can make your school enter you for FM.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 94
The new FM isn't available this year though - I've been told first entry for A2 FM is 2019?

That's right. You could have done A Level maths new spec this year and FM new spec next year.

But I understand why you decided to do old spec - there are many more resources so it's much better for someone who is self-teaching. I would have done the same thing.
Reply 95
We do the same for Eng, Maths, Sci, Computing but not the same for French. How you finding Science/Computing OCR 21st century?

You do OCR 21ST century science? Yayyyyyy! Finally, literally everyone else I’ve spoken to does like AQA or like OCR gateway.
I’m finding computing pretty good, got a 9 in my mock and I think it’s not to bad.
With science there’s a lot to remember but I’ve just been making notes and stuff, what resources do you use for science?
Original post by Notnek
That's right. You could have done A Level maths new spec this year and FM new spec next year.

But I understand why you decided to do old spec - there are many more resources so it's much better for someone who is self-teaching. I would have done the same thing.

Yeah plus the textbooks are sick (they've been a little recycled for next spec) though the new FM has topics like modulo arithmetic, Euclidean algorithm, T sub, etc. which are coming down from IMOK/BMO Maths so it'll be really interesting :tongue:
Reply 97
Oh you do fm privately? That’s interesting I never consider that, I’ll look into it.
Original post by peeked
You do OCR 21ST century science? Yayyyyyy! Finally, literally everyone else I’ve spoken to does like AQA or like OCR gateway.
I’m finding computing pretty good, got a 9 in my mock and I think it’s not to bad.
With science there’s a lot to remember but I’ve just been making notes and stuff, what resources do you use for science?

Yeah ahaa no one does OCR 21st century. I do OCR Computing too which I think is a pretty easy subject with revision (the questions asked are straightforward e.g. explain this, define this so if you revise it, you're set - well done on that 9!).

Yeah science there's a lot of content. I just read the guide and do questions. I haven't done any notes/flashcards for anything throughout the year but I may start now for Computing. I use mygcsescience and then my CGP guide for science which I'm finding pretty good.
Original post by peeked
Oh you do fm privately? That’s interesting I never consider that, I’ll look into it.

Do you mean FM GCSE? If so then I'm not taking it but you can force your school (well not force but you get what I mean) to enter you. My friend really likes Maths (he's also great at it) so he convinced the school to enter him for FM GCSE and FMSQ. You should do the same - ask your school to let you sit a mock paper for FM and then enter you (I think you'll get the top grade A*^ which'll look among your sets of 9s). :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending