The Student Room Group

Why do women want gender equality in the workplace, but not in dating?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loveleest
LOL but let a women say she wants a "man" to act like one and she is going against feminism

You can't abort at 9 months x

I would not say that to a woman. I respect women, who know what they want and go for it. I am not a weak man that hides behind societal structures to try to weaken women.

I just get annoyed when some women demonstrate double standards and this has been talked about on this thread.

To your abortion point, you wrote that a woman should be allowed to abort at any time. So she can abort at 9 months then? Also, the legal threshold that has been put is 24 weeks or 6 months.

So i want to ask you again, how many weeks or months do you think abortion should happen? 6 weeks, 12 weeks, 18 weeks, 24 weeks?
Some horse ****. Look on TSR and see the amount of "men" that complain about asking women out, paying for dates and then compare that to the women who now say they are okay with paying for dates and asking men out. So gtfo with that bs.

Sometimes, what some women say and do are very different. A woman can say she is okay with paying for dates and asking a man out, but in reality she will never do that.

I once took a “feminist” out on a date. We went for movie and then dinner. I paid for the movie (with popcorn and all the extras). During the dinner, i asked her to split the bill with me because it was a very traditional restaurant with good food and was quite expensive. She agreed. Few weeks later, i heard around that she told her friends that i was cheap cos I made her split the bill.

This is a woman that professes to be a feminist. Whenever she spoke, she always argued about women equality, yet expected me to have paid for both the dinner and movie.

I know she is just one person and I should not generalise but some other men have had similar experiences of double standards with some women. We cannot all be wrong.
Original post by Wired_1800
Sometimes, what some women say and do are very different. A woman can say she is okay with paying for dates and asking a man out, but in reality she will never do that.

I once took a “feminist” out on a date. We went for movie and then dinner. I paid for the movie (with popcorn and all the extras). During the dinner, i asked her to split the bill with me because it was a very traditional restaurant with good food and was quite expensive. She agreed. Few weeks later, i heard around that she told her friends that i was cheap cos I made her split the bill.

This is a woman that professes to be a feminist. Whenever she spoke, she always argued about women equality, yet expected me to have paid for both the dinner and movie.

I know she is just one person and I should not generalise but some other men have had similar experiences of double standards with some women. We cannot all be wrong.

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool thats hilarious :smile: Also something i would do tbh
I would not say that to a woman. I respect women, who know what they want and go for it. I am not a weak man that hides behind societal structures to try to weaken women.

I just get annoyed when some women demonstrate double standards and this has been talked about on this thread.

To your abortion point, you wrote that a woman should be allowed to abort at any time. So she can abort at 9 months then? Also, the legal threshold that has been put is 24 weeks or 6 months.

So i want to ask you again, how many weeks or months do you think abortion should happen? 6 weeks, 12 weeks, 18 weeks, 24 weeks?

So why is it that when I pointed out that "men" are becoming more unmanly you bought up feminism?

12 weeks

I don’t get why you then jump on the internet to rant about how women have double standards and are hypocrites instead of confronting the actual person that did it? The majority of women on here have said they don’t do the listed things in OP’s post. Is the purpose just so a bunch of guys can whine about how they have been wronged?

I agree that the situation mentioned was totally unfair. But surly taking it up with the girl, saying “if you believe in equality, why were you upset about splitting the bill?” Instead of generalising that this is some kind of epidemic of all girls. The aim of these threads is to hate on girls for things that a specific girl has done to someone. Men sure as hell don’t like being generalised so why this behaviour is being retaliated is beyond me.

These threads are no better than the “men are trash” misandrist posts. It isn’t confronting a problem because ultimately whoever your problem was with most likely isn’t reading this thread.
looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool thats hilarious :smile: Also something i would do tbh

Whhhyy add fuel to the fire? :no:
Situations like that are exactly why there are so many of these posts hating on women exist. How can you be treated with respect if you’re being hypocritical like that?
Original post by cat_mac
Whhhyy add fuel to the fire? :no:
Situations like that are exactly why there are so many of these posts hating on women exist. How can you be treated with respect if you’re being hypocritical like that?

1) It was a joke.
2) IDC if sexist men hate on women lol bye
1) It was a joke.

Spoiler

Yeah, I don't think that's very unusual to be honest.

An old friend of mine always posts "feminist" facebook statuses etc. She was complaining to me that a guy she really fancied wasn't asking her out. I said, "Why don't you just ask him out"? She said, "It's the man's job to do that". And this was a self-proclaimed feminist, with an Economics degree from Cambridge.

Obviously it's just an anecdote, but there are definitely some very hypocritical people out there.

You see. Fake feminism
So why is it that when I pointed out that "men" are becoming more unmanly you bought up feminism?

12 weeks

Fair enough.

I brought up feminism because it is a toxic facade for women superiority rather than equality.
Fair enough.

I brought up feminism because it is a toxic facade for women superiority rather than equality.

I completely disagree but ok
Original post by cat_mac
I don’t get why you then jump on the internet to rant about how women have double standards and are hypocrites instead of confronting the actual person that did it? The majority of women on here have said they don’t do the listed things in OP’s post. Is the purpose just so a bunch of guys can whine about how they have been wronged?

I agree that the situation mentioned was totally unfair. But surly taking it up with the girl, saying “if you believe in equality, why were you upset about splitting the bill?” Instead of generalising that this is some kind of epidemic of all girls. The aim of these threads is to hate on girls for things that a specific girl has done to someone. Men sure as hell don’t like being generalised so why this behaviour is being retaliated is beyond me.

These threads are no better than the “men are trash” misandrist posts. It isn’t confronting a problem because ultimately whoever your problem was with most likely isn’t reading this thread.

I am not the only one that has experienced double standard from women. So we are trying to address it on this thread.
I completely disagree but ok

Ok, what do you disagree with?
Ok, what do you disagree with?

That feminism is a about female superiority rather than equality. If anything, feminism is becoming more male focused than ever before. Feminism is now shifting towards men (unfortunately)
Original post by snowman77
This is what I don't understand about the modern day gender equality/feminism movement. They want equality in some areas, but other areas they are happy for things to stay the same as long as they receive the benefit.

Women want equal treatment in the workplace with their male colleagues. They want equal pay (FWIW the gender pay gap is a myth - same job for same hours get paid the same, otherwise it's illegal), they don't want to experience sexual harassment in the workplace (what about all the false accusations which ruin men's careers?), they want the same opportunities men have, they want equal opportunities for promotion (despite many of them taking time off for maternity leave).

This is all fair enough. Except they don't want equality in dating. Men are still expected to:

- ask the woman out and face possible rejection (women might give subtle hints, but under no circumstances will they ask the man out - that is "his job":wink:
- pay for the first date (and possible subsequent dates as well)
- propose to the woman
- treat her with meals/gifts
- hold open the door for her
- give up his coat if she's cold, so he can freeze (but never the other way around)
- put the majority of effort into sex (this is centered around pleasing the woman - the man's enjoyment is always assumed)
- be manly and dominant, never show any weak emotions, keep his problems bottled up because otherwise it's "unmanly"
- household chores must now be shared. Women no longer have to do all the cooking and cleaning, it's shared equally between men, because otherwise it's gender discrimination/oppression. Despite the fact men are still seen as the primary breadwinner in the household and a man without a job is a virtual disaster.

So back to the original question: Why do women want gender equality in the workplace (and indeed many other areas), but not in dating? I'm interested to hear to views of men, women and any feminists.

Um, not sure where you're getting these ideas from. Obviously you can't stereotype every single woman in this way - that would be stupid and reductive. Plenty of women ask men out and split bills etc etc. Maybe some of these things are just nice things to do for someone else. No woman 'expects' this kind of behavior. I think it's you with the outdated attitudes.
That feminism is a about female superiority rather than equality. If anything, feminism is becoming more male focused than ever before. Feminism is now shifting towards men (unfortunately)

Nope, feminism is just about equality...

I basically only ever ask guys out and I wouldn't dream of not splitting the bill. Definitely not an anomaly.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Yeah, I don't think that's very unusual to be honest.

An old friend of mine always posts "feminist" facebook statuses etc. She was complaining to me that a guy she really fancied wasn't asking her out. I said, "Why don't you just ask him out"? She said, "It's the man's job to do that". And this was a self-proclaimed feminist, with an Economics degree from Cambridge.

Obviously it's just an anecdote, but there are definitely some very hypocritical people out there.

It is hypocritical and there are a fair bit of women that do it. They do not believe the rubbish that come out of their mouth. Once you challenge them, they get defensive and attack you as being a woman hater.

If you tell a woman that she should lose weight, she will say that you are body-shaming, but then insult overweight men. If you say that a woman is not that attractive, she will attack you for face-shaming, but then insult another guy for being ugly. There are many other examples.

I have heard some women have very very high standards for men, but they are nothing special. When you call them out, they go on a vicious attack and call you names for trying to “silence” them.
I am not the only one that has experienced double standard from women. So we are trying to address it on this thread.

'Experienced double standards from women' maybe there were just some humans who treated you in a way you didn't like. To say that 'womankind' has treated you in a certain way is vaguely pathetic. Try being a woman and actually experiencing the harassment and inequality in the workplace that still exists. I mean really...do we need to wheel out statistics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending