The Student Room Group

lump in neck!!!!!!

there's a lump in the right side of my neck, where you'd usually feel for your pulse. I'm aware there are glands in your neck so I felt both and did feel prominant lumps, however the one on the right is significantly larger and it's as though I can move it under my skin!!!! I don't know if i should go to my gp I've been countless times because of my health anxiety and they've never found anything seriously wrong with me (yet, some tests are still being done) but this raises some red flags with me. what should i do??
do u mean in your throat?
I’d book an appointment with your gp, it’s better to be safe, rather than sorry. Even if it isn’t anything serious, it’s still worth getting it checked.
Reply 3
Original post by R.Lunat
do u mean in your throat?

well, below the jawline on the right side
Original post by Anonymous
well, below the jawline on the right side

Probably just a swollen lymph node, have you been ill recently?
You're fine, unless it persists for months. Swollen neck glands are very normal and can sometimes be tender, but this is just your immune system.
Reply 6
Original post by Anxn_Blr_
I’d book an appointment with your gp, it’s better to be safe, rather than sorry. Even if it isn’t anything serious, it’s still worth getting it checked.

I was thinking that but I'm still very anxious just now as it's the weekend but i feel this is urgent :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by Goldenshark
Probably just a swollen lymph node, have you been ill recently?

I had the flu at the start of january so it's kinda recent
Try to stay as calm as possible, after all, you don’t know the source of what’s causing this, and therefore it may be nothing. But, if you are still very anxious, I’d recommend calling an emergency service line (depending on what country you live in) & explain the situation. They’ll give you advice, which may help ease your mind.
Reply 9
Original post by sterchess
You're fine, unless it persists for months. Swollen neck glands are very normal and can sometimes be tender, but this is just your immune system.

well I have only just discovered this

maybe I should wait but my worries for this being serious are quite high:frown:
I had the flu at the start of january so it's kinda recent

Yeah probs just a lymph node. If it doesnt go by the end of next week then contact your GP just to be sure
Original post by Anxn_Blr_
Try to stay as calm as possible, after all, you don’t know the source of what’s causing this, and therefore it may be nothing. But, if you are still very anxious, I’d recommend calling an emergency service line (depending on what country you live in) & explain the situation. They’ll give you advice, which may help ease your mind.

i have nhs 111 but i've heard they aren't very good so I've been skeptical about calling, i've decided I'll wait just now and try to calm down, but if it gets worse and I start panicking i'll probably call or get to my gp asap
Original post by Goldenshark
Yeah probs just a lymph node. If it doesnt go by the end of next week then contact your GP just to be sure

yeah i've decided to wait for a week but if it gets worse then I'll call up soon
Sounds like a good idea. Partake in a hobby you like, or call a friend/family member, if possible. They might be able to help you calm down. But, if you really do start to panic, call 111, or book an appointment with the gp asap. I don’t think you should worry too much though, unless it is causing you significant pain.
well I have only just discovered this

maybe I should wait but my worries for this being serious are quite high:frown:

seriously. unless it's very painful it's quite normal. Most people will experience it.
I was thinking that but I'm still very anxious just now as it's the weekend but i feel this is urgent :frown:

Do you not live near a walk in centre?
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Do you not live near a walk in centre?

yes but they're still closed on weekends due to staff shortages

Quick Reply

Latest