The Student Room Group

Teenage Muslim Girl and Feminist AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx
That is good to hear x
When you first started fasting, was it your own choice or your parents advised you to start?

It was my own choice :smile:

To be honest my parents weren't really keen on the idea of me fasting to begin with because I'm already really small and skinny and they didn't want me to faint or anything. But they never tried to stop me because they knew one day, I would anyway, fast so why hold me back? :smile:
Original post by Cod3tte
It was my own choice :smile:

To be honest my parents weren't really keen on the idea of me fasting to begin with because I'm already really small and skinny and they didn't want me to faint or anything. But they never tried to stop me because they knew one day, I would anyway, fast so why hold me back? :smile:

Ahh yeah, my parents were the same and even till this day, they still are. But sounds like you are stubborn and tbh if you want to fast, then its your own choice. No-one can stop you
Reply 82
Ahh yeah, my parents were the same and even till this day, they still are. But sounds like you are stubborn and tbh if you want to fast, then its your own choice. No-one can stop you

Yeah you could say I'm pretty stubborn xD
Original post by Cod3tte
Yeah you could say I'm pretty stubborn xD

This is so irrelevant but the first time I came across your username in a thread, I thought you were a guy:redface: maybe its cuz of the name lol
Reply 84
This is so irrelevant but the first time I came across your username in a thread, I thought you were a guy:redface: maybe its cuz of the name lol

Lol.

Haha no, I'm 100% sure I'm a girl xD
Original post by CookieButter
Sexual orientation cannot be influenced over time such that it changes and becomes different to that assigned your sex by biology inside your mother's womb.

Biology is made up of two components; anatomy and physiology. For a sexuality to be defined as being natural and normal it has to conform with both these components and be complimented in the partner chosen for a relationship. In men and women anatomy and physiology compliment each other. The physiology of the male compliments that of the female. They are therefore said to be biologically compatible with one another. Homosexuality, transsexuality and all other forms of sexual relations are not natural. The anatomy and physiology of the male does not compliment that of another male e.g. men or women cannot have children with the same sex. Men lack an orifice for a penis in other males. Women lack an organ for the vagina in other women. All forms of non-hetrosexaulity are not biologically natural. They are not the result of nature but rather nurture.

There are so many issues with this post I could go about attacking, but I think it's just worth pointing out that you start by saying "sexual orientation cannot be influenced over time such that it changes and becomes different to that assigned your sex by biology inside your mother's womb" and then end by saying "all forms of non-hetrosexaulity are not biologically natural. They are not the result of nature but rather nurture." You essentially directly contradict yourself and admit that my point was correct.
Original post by Aardwolf
There are so many issues with this post I could go about attacking, but I think it's just worth pointing out that you start by saying "sexual orientation cannot be influenced over time such that it changes and becomes different to that assigned your sex by biology inside your mother's womb" and then end by saying "all forms of non-hetrosexaulity are not biologically natural. They are not the result of nature but rather nurture." You essentially directly contradict yourself and admit that my point was correct.

You failed to understand the comment. Emphasis on the words biology, nature and nurture in that statement. The key to understanding my comment is in those three words.

You implied that nurture changes biology. In my reply I wrote that it does not...that biology and its two components (anatomy and physiology) remain constant irrespective of nurture. As in, biologically speaking heterosexuality is natural, is innate, is the result of nature...whilst homosexuality and all forms of non-heterosexuality are the result of nurture/are artificial....our biology remains constant irrespective of the influence of nurture. Nurture might influence our choices. It does not however change our nature. It does not make something that is abnormal/unnatural natural/normal. it changes our views. Our behaviour.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by Anonymous
ROFL to all the people crying about hijab, it is a symbol of empowerment for me, no matter how much you try and debate against that, I will keep wearing it no matter what, as it empowers me :h:

How exactly does it empower you?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Cod3tte
Forced marriage has nothing to do with Islam. It's a cultural thing that sick people have diluted with religion.

Forced marriage is against Islam.

tsk tsk tsk....mohammed your beloved prophet did it though
He married a 9-year old aisha and had sex with her. Your own "holy" books say so.

Again the knowledge of your own religion is absent
Original post by Cod3tte
Lol.

Haha no, I'm 100% sure I'm a girl xD

oh thank God i thought you'd be one them transexual hijab wearing men who try to merge western madness with wahabism
Original post by Cod3tte
Show me the quotes where that is mentioned and I will give you my opinion on them.

4:11 - (Inheritance) "The male shall have the equal of the portion of two females".
2:282 - (Court testimony) "And call to witness, from among your men, two witnesses. And if two men be not found then a man and two women".
2:223 - "Your wives are as a tilth unto you; so approach your tilth when or how ye will..." (from an overtly sexual passage).
4:34 "Men are in charge of women, because Allah hath made the one of them to excel the other, and because they spend of their property (for the support of women). So good women are the obedient, guarding in secret that which Allah hath guarded. As for those from whom ye fear rebellion, admonish them and banish them to beds apart, and scourge them."

You never gave your opinion on it. How can you be Muslim and feminist at the same time do you follow some deranged form of feminism where men are in charge and when your wife disobeys you " scrouge them". I don't know what that means but it seems brutal.
Reply 91
Original post by The PoliticalGuy
You never gave your opinion on it. How can you be Muslim and feminist at the same time do you follow some deranged form of feminism where men are in charge and when your wife disobeys you " scrouge them". I don't know what that means but it seems brutal.

4:11 - (Inheritance) "The male shall have the equal of the portion of two females".
This is made up for in marriage when a woman is given a mahr, only she can have full control over that once it is given to her from the groom's side.

2:282 - (Court testimony) "And call to witness, from among your men, two witnesses. And if two men be not found then a man and two women".

Many people take this out of context, this is only meant financially.

2:223 - "Your wives are as a tilth unto you; so approach your tilth when or how ye will..." (from an overtly sexual passage).

This is simply stating that a husband and wife can share consensual sexual pleasure.

4:34 "Men are in charge of women, because Allah hath made the one of them to excel the other, and because they spend of their property (for the support of women). So good women are the obedient, guarding in secret that which Allah hath guarded. As for those from whom ye fear rebellion, admonish them and banish them to beds apart, and scourge them."

A verse which many struggle to understand. This is simply stating that men should look after women, not control them. The word "scrouge" is used as a metaphor for emotionally disciplining them, not physically. And women can equally do the same to men if he mistreats her.
Reply 92

Original post by Cod3tte
This is made up for in marriage when a woman is given a mahr, only she can have full control over that once it is given to her from the groom's side.

Prophet Muhammad gave 500 dirhams each to his wives as mahr, which at the time of bestowing, equated to £283. This causes many Islamic scholars and Muslims to deduce that the minimum amount of money to be given to a bride is said amount (though there isn't much doubt that this amount will vary among families). Also, the amount of money allocated to be inherited by the offspring also varies, so mahr won't always 'make up' for the amount of money lost when compared to that of a male child. Presumably more than often, it doesn't make up for it, especially as inheritance money on average (10,000s) has a far greater magnitude in terms of value than mahr (1,000s at most). In my opinion, it would be better if mahr and the inheritance rule between the genders was abolished, it's less complicated, and it's fairer.

Original post by Cod3tte

Many people take this out of context, this is only meant financially.

What do you mean by 'this is only meant financially'? I can see where you got this from, as it mentions this rule when the case in a court is debt. But that doesn't negate the fact that they regard a female as half of a man as a witness in these sort of cases for no discernible reason.

Original post by Cod3tte

A verse which many struggle to understand. This is simply stating that men should look after women, not control them. The word "scrouge" is used as a metaphor for emotionally disciplining them, not physically. And women can equally do the same to men if he mistreats her.

How did you conclude that the word scrounge was a 'metaphor'? Scourge means to whip as a punishment. Also, what do you think about the portion of the verse that says 'one excels the other'?

I don't at all mind people who practice their religion peacefully and indiscriminately (towards others), but some people need to acknowledge that these verses from their religious texts exist. Sure, as a peaceful Muslim, you would take no action to these verses and that's favorable to all of us, but some people will.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending