The Student Room Group

What are your opinions on 0-hours contracts?

As the title says really, What are your opinions on 0-hours contracts? And why?
Are they, good, bad or alright for some?
Reply 1
I think they’re not ideal since they are not secure permanent jobs but they are better than nothing. I’d rather be on a zero-hours contract than have no job at all. I don’t think banning zero-hours contracts would be a good idea since they are a temporary solution that can help people struggling to get a full-time job by offering them experience and income.
Reply 2
Was good for me, let me adapt my work shedule to what I wanted to do the next week.
Original post by Trapz99
I think they’re not ideal since they are not secure permanent jobs but they are better than nothing. I’d rather be on a zero-hours contract than have no job at all. I don’t think banning zero-hours contracts would be a good idea since they are a temporary solution that can help people struggling to get a full-time job by offering them experience and income.

I totally agree.
They arent ideal for people in full time employment, but obviously its better than no job at all.
They can be useful to people like students though.
But i do think that employers are quick to use them. Mainly for their own advantage, in that they can give people less hours, send people home early etc if its quieter.
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
I totally agree.
They arent ideal for people in full time employment, but obviously its better than no job at all.
They can be useful to people like students though.
But i do think that employers are quick to use them. Mainly for their own advantage, in that they can give people less hours, send people home early etc if its quieter.

I find employers are quick to use other contracts with fixed daily/weekly/monthly hours.

The last four jobs I've been offered the employer has requested contracted hours.
Original post by Quady
I find employers are quick to use other contracts with fixed daily/weekly/monthly hours.

The last four jobs I've been offered the employer has requested contracted hours.

I think it depends on the place. Quite a few want contracted hours. And quite a few others are quick to go down the 0 hours route.
Reply 6
Are there even salaried jobs available as zero hour contracts?
Original post by Quady
Are there even salaried jobs available as zero hour contracts?

Salaried jobs arent 0 hours (as far as im aware).
Some places that tend to do it are places like restaurants, fast food places, a few shops or factories might do it etc.
Reply 8
Original post by Emma:-)
Salaried jobs arent 0 hours (as far as im aware).
Some places that tend to do it are places like restaurants, fast food places, a few shops or factories might do it etc.

I guess some places have flexi time systems which work similar to 0-hours contracts.
Depends on the person needs and the situations. For instance, I like the thought of being able to do something as and when to gain some experience in a different sector whilst working full time Monday to Friday. At least if the second job is of something of strong interest, not just any old job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending