The Student Room Group

Why do women want gender equality in the workplace, but not in dating?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by littleone123
I basically only ever ask guys out and I wouldn't dream of not splitting the bill. Definitely not an anomaly.

True, but many other women would not dream of doing it.
Original post by Wired_1800
It is hypocritical and there are a fair bit of women that do it. They do not believe the rubbish that come out of their mouth. Once you challenge them, they get defensive and attack you as being a woman hater.

If you tell a woman that she should lose weight, she will say that you are body-shaming, but then insult overweight men. If you say that a woman is not that attractive, she will attack you for face-shaming, but then insult another guy for being ugly. There are many other examples.

I have heard some women have very very high standards for men, but they are nothing special. When you call them out, they go on a vicious attack and call you names for trying to “silence” them.

Mate, it sounds like you have issues.

I mean, I don't know who these Jane Austen types are that you hang out with. I've personally never encountered anyone like this.
Original post by loveleest
That feminism is a about female superiority rather than equality. If anything, feminism is becoming more male focused than ever before. Feminism is now shifting towards men (unfortunately)

Women empowerment was the main point, but it has now turned to man-hating.

Again, strongly disagree...
It is hypocritical and there are a fair bit of women that do it. They do not believe the rubbish that come out of their mouth. Once you challenge them, they get defensive and attack you as being a woman hater.

If you tell a woman that she should lose weight, she will say that you are body-shaming, but then insult overweight men. If you say that a woman is not that attractive, she will attack you for face-shaming, but then insult another guy for being ugly. There are many other examples.

I have heard some women have very very high standards for men, but they are nothing special. When you call them out, they go on a vicious attack and call you names for trying to “silence” them.

Why would you say that? is it not all subjective anyway

no not imo lol

Plus all your comments come across as 'women bashing'.

well tbh i always think if a guy is interested enough he would ask you out
'Experienced double standards from women' maybe there were just some humans who treated you in a way you didn't like. To say that 'womankind' has treated you in a certain way is vaguely pathetic. Try being a woman and actually experiencing the harassment and inequality in the workplace that still exists. I mean really...do we need to wheel out statistics?

Not all women get harassed and it is rapidly on decline. Men are not predators on the lookout for a woman to attack.

Mate, it sounds like you have issues.

I don't have issues.

I mean, I don't know who these Jane Austen types are that you hang out with. I've personally never encountered anyone like this.

We live in two different communities, so you cannot compare.
Not all women get harassed and it is rapidly on decline. Men are not predators on the lookout for a woman to attack.

I don't have issues.

OK maybe you've had some bad experiences but I just don't understand the point of your arguments - they're not helpful and it just comes across as though you're hurting from interactions you've had with women - which are very much not representative of women as a whole.
Plus all your comments come across as 'women bashing'.

He has referred women to whores many times but screams about equality lol
I mean, this whole massively gendered dialogue is stupid anyway - we are all just people after all. Some people act reasonably and some people act unreasonably.

I don't have issues.

To say harassment is on the decline just shows you are young, naive and/or unempathetic. I don't blame you for that necessarily. I would just say sometimes it's important to recognise you have no personal experience of an issue and therefore perhaps you should temper having strongly held opinions on it. To say that harassment is still a massive problem is not the same as saying, as you put it, that men are all 'predators on the lookout for a woman to attack'.
(edited 6 years ago)
I am not the only one that has experienced double standard from women. So we are trying to address it on this thread.

I never said you were. I’m querying why you don’t take it up with the women who do it instead of generalised rants about how we’re all hypocrites.

If the post was made in an anecdotal way about a specific experience like yours I’d have no issue with discussing it. But it wasn’t, it was an accusation “why do women only want equality if it benefits them” and a bunch of dumb generalisations based on what seems to be very little knowledge of women.

Experiencing double standards and questioning it isn’t what’s happening when it’s made as an accusation against woman-kind instead of whoever the problem was with.
OK maybe you've had some bad experiences but I just don't understand the point of your arguments - they're not helpful and it just comes across as though you're hurting from interactions you've had with women - which are very much not representative of women as a whole.

I never said all women. I have mentioned some women, so i am not generalising. You should read properly next time.

To say harassment is on the decline just shows you are young, naive and/or unempathetic. I don't blame you for that necessarily. I would just say sometimes it's important to recognise you have no personal experience of an issue and therefore perhaps you should temper having strongly held opinions on it.

What? Are you insane? There are objective stats that suggest sexual harassment now is low than then the past and has been on the decline for years. Do not confuse the MeToo campaign which argues about historical cases to present day cases.
I never said all women. I have mentioned some women, so i am not generalising. You should read properly next time.

What? Are you insane? There are objective stats that suggest sexual harassment now is low than then the past and has been on the decline for years. Do not confuse the MeToo campaign which argues about historical cases to present day cases.

Um...Weinstein? One small example.
Original post by cat_mac
I never said you were. I’m querying why you don’t take it up with the women who do it instead of generalised rants about how we’re all hypocrites.

If the post was made in an anecdotal way about a specific experience like yours I’d have no issue with discussing it. But it wasn’t, it was an accusation “why do women only want equality if it benefits them” and a bunch of dumb generalisations based on what seems to be very little knowledge of women.

Experiencing double standards and questioning it isn’t what’s happening when it’s made as an accusation against woman-kind instead of whoever the problem was with.

This is the way both sides hold the arguments. The MeToo campaign makes generalisation about sexual harrassments.

Maybe in that comment, but I often use some women rather than generalising all women. No need to get your panties in a twist.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41741615

I could literally post hundreds of links to articles like this.

Maybe you should read them and start educating yourself.
(edited 6 years ago)
Um...Weinstein? One small example.

Weinstein’s case is a historical case that happened over many years. Just because it was reported in 2016 does not mean that he abused all those women in 2016.

Many of the MeToo stories are historical cases and there are very few current cases. Even the Trump tape was about 10 years old.

You should look up the stats. Sexual harassments have been on the decline for some years now.
Weinstein’s case is a historical case that happened over many years. Just because it was reported in 2016 does not mean that he abused all those women in 2016.

Many of the MeToo stories are historical cases and there are very few current cases. Even the Trump tape was about 10 years old.

You should look up the stats. Sexual harassments have been on the decline for some years now.

Oh my goodness, ok, even if sexual harassment was still in decline as you allege, does it even matter? If it happens at all, it matters.

There are very few current cases? There will be thousands of cases worldwide going on handled by employment lawyers at any one moment, that you won't have heard of because this is happening to ordinary people every day. There will also be thousands of unreported incidents happening every day.

Again, to be honest, you're just consistently demonstrating your ignorance on these matters.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending