The Student Room Group

On the road to 9s and A*A* Maths/FM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by tedgfbtebfetedfb
Really?

Yep. :smile: You’ll only have to do applied on normal Maths but for FM you don’t have to.
Reply 101
Original post by thekidwhogames
The new FM isn't available this year though - I've been told first entry for A2 FM is 2019?

Yeah that’s the only bad thing. Normal maths can be done this year.
Do you mean FM GCSE? If so then I'm not taking it but you can force your school (well not force but you get what I mean) to enter you. My friend really likes Maths (he's also great at it) so he convinced the school to enter him for FM GCSE and FMSQ. You should do the same - ask your school to let you sit a mock paper for FM and then enter you (I think you'll get the top grade A*^ which'll look among your sets of 9s). :smile:

Oh I thought you were taking fm gcse? What are you taking then?
Definitely M2 and M3 (especially M3). I find applied a lot harder than pure. I loved the pure content but didn't enjoy the applied (and also my physics GCSE knowledge is very limited compared to mechanics here so I had to spend a while) and also there's not a lot of videos on it xD

But the textbook is very useful (especially mixed excercises) so it got me through it. Also there aren't any Solomon papers I believe for applied which is a bit annoying since they were very useful.

Bruh I gotta ask, how the hell you doin this seriously? This is fckon incredible, you're singlehandedly juggling a levels and gcses lol. You should be very proud of coming this far and I have no doubt you'll be in Cambridge soon. Also, what modules do you do for FM? I'm currently doin fp3 m2 and s2.

I would also h8ghly recommend applying to MIT as they look desperately for people like you and will offer full ride if you get accepted.
Original post by Black Water
Yeah that’s the only bad thing. Normal maths can be done this year.

Yeah true but I need both to be done now so I can sit other stuff at 6th form.
Original post by peeked
Oh I thought you were taking fm gcse? What are you taking then?

Maths and Further Maths A levels (Edexcel).
Maths and Further Maths A levels (Edexcel).

Wait whaaat? So you’re doing maths and further maths a levels whilst in year 11? Alongside your GCSEs?
Original post by peeked
Wait whaaat? So you’re doing maths and further maths a levels whilst in year 11? Alongside your GCSEs?

Yeah I'm taking 12 modules this year alongside GCSEs and preparing for IMOK so that's why I have absolutely no free time (hence on TSR all the time) :tongue:
Yeah I'm taking 12 modules this year alongside GCSEs and preparing for IMOK so that's why I have absolutely no free time (hence on TSR all the time) :tongue:

Wow that’s incredible, I’m really amazed your doing 2 a levels as well your GCSEs! What are your plans for next year then?
Reply 109
Yeah true but I need both to be done now so I can sit other stuff at 6th form.

True, I’ll be easier for you then. What A-Levels are you going to take again? Chemistry, Physics and?
Original post by Radioactivedecay
Bruh I gotta ask, how the hell you doin this seriously? This is fckon incredible, you're singlehandedly juggling a levels and gcses lol. You should be very proud of coming this far and I have no doubt you'll be in Cambridge soon. Also, what modules do you do for FM? I'm currently doin fp3 m2 and s2.

I would also h8ghly recommend applying to MIT as they look desperately for people like you and will offer full ride if you get accepted.

I know right exactly what I was thinking! This guy's incredible!!
Why don't you just do A Level Further Maths next year in one year with whatever A Levels you want to do? Bro you are gonna die before sixth form (metaphorical of course) by pushing yourself too hard. Adore your work ethic but don't burn yourself out.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 112

Exactly lol. No one would dare to try this.
Hey

I'm currently in year 11 and my exams start in 3 months so I may as well start this thread now in order to monitor my progress and see if I get what I'm hoping for... the real intensity begins now

Completed Qualifications:

Spoiler

What I'd like to get this year:

Spoiler

Class tests:

Spoiler

Extra stuff:

Spoiler

What I want to do:

Spoiler

Stress:

Spoiler

Do you happen to know the name of the Imperial course? or if you could send me a link to apply?
Original post by 1000A* at GCSEs
Why don't you just do A Level Further Maths next year in one year with whatever A Levels you want to do? Bro you are gonna die before sixth form (metaphorical of course) by pushing yourself too hard. Adore your work ethic but don't burn yourself out.

I agree. It's seems like too much stress for no reason when he's got more than enough time next year. Still incredible tho.
I agree. It's seems like too much stress for no reason when he's got more than enough time next year. Still incredible tho.

Yeah I've heard of kids doing 6 A Levels but what this kid is trying to do is unprecedented. I don't mean to sound brash but OP needs a life beyond revision and books. Do the right extracurricular stuff before uni application and you will get an Oxbridge interview easy (probably an offer) without the unnecessary stress. In my opinion OP needs to continue his unbelievable work ethic but cut down on his workload.
Reply 116
Original post by 1000A* at GCSEs
Yeah I've heard of kids doing 6 A Levels but what this kid is trying to do is unprecedented. I don't mean to sound brash but OP needs a life beyond revision and books. Do the right extracurricular stuff before uni application and you will get an Oxbridge interview easy (probably an offer) without the unnecessary stress. In my opinion OP needs to continue his unbelievable work ethic but cut down on his workload.

A kid in a local school near me is doing A-Level Maths and he’s in Y8.

Is the Imperial programme you mentioned called AIMES, cuz I've taken part in it for 2 years and can provide feedback
Original post by Black Water
Yep. :smile: You’ll only have to do applied on normal Maths but for FM you don’t have to.

You honestly have no idea how happy I am. So happy to not do mechanics.
Reply 119
Original post by tedgfbtebfetedfb
You honestly have no idea how happy I am. So happy to not do mechanics.

Haha, sounds good for you. :smile: you’ll only have to do a little in normal maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending