The Student Room Group

Anyone looking forward to "Love, Simon"?

This is one of the only movies that I have been excited to see since the end of the Harry Potter film franchise (6 years ago!)
This is about a closeted gay teen named Simon (Nick Robinson :smile:), who is coming to terms with his sexuality and ends up emailing a fellow pupil at his school in the same situation. He eventually comes out. I have almost finished the book in preparation. I really want to see this movie, although I don't know how to convince my parents. I'll try and sneak out some how. It looks really good and everyone who has seen the preview showings have rated it highly.

TRAILERS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykHeGtN4m94
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0cbWdlQg_8

Scroll to see replies

It's genuinely very exciting! It is the movie that I need to see at this point of my coming out story. Anyone planning to see it?

Glad that they got Nick Robinson for the main role as well. He is cute.
Why would you need to convince your parents?
But I'm wanting to see it too
Original post by AzureCeleste
Why would you need to convince your parents?
But I'm wanting to see it too

They don't know that I am gay and would question why I want to see it given the theme.
Not sure what to do, but will try and see it somehow. I am really excited!
(edited 6 years ago)
Who else is excited?
im so excited to watch it too!!
I haven't been so excited for a movie in years. It is much better than the usual action/adventure movie that I am dragged to see. 20th Century Fox seem to have done a great job and it is a great storyline.

I wish that it was being released next month, rather than April. Then, I would be able to see it on the last day before the Easter holidays. Instead, I will need to sneak out at some point.

I have to mention though - if someone at school found out, would they assume I was gay?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
No I’m not lol
Reply 8
And why do you need your parents permission? Ofc if that’s how it is in your family, just ask! They won’t think anything of it:smile:
Original post by jxnna01
No I’m not lol

Not your type of movie?

I would imagine that most of the people seeing it will be gay guys and probably some lesbians as well. Maybe a few straight girls with their gay best friends as well. Definitely not much straight guys.
Original post by jxnna01
And why do you need your parents permission? Ofc if that’s how it is in your family, just ask! They won’t think anything of it:smile:

It would make them curious though. I'm just not ready to come out, and want to avoid any mention of LGBT around them.
Yeah.. it seems a bit boring to me. Like there is no plot twist, really. I wouldn’t mind watching it.. as long as someone payed for me, lol!!
Original post by jxnna01
Yeah.. it seems a bit boring to me. Like there is no plot twist, really. I wouldn’t mind watching it.. as long as someone payed for me, lol!!

A lot of movies seem to lack plot twists these days, IMO.
I find action/adventure type movies to be really boring. At least this is something quite close to my heart, not to mention a cute actor playing the main character.
Original post by Joe2001
A lot of movies seem to lack plot twists these days, IMO.
I find action/adventure type movies to be really boring. At least this is something quite close to my heart, not to mention a cute actor playing the main character.

Honestly, I’m more of a chick flick then an adventure!! And musical.. yeah. And of course, it’s Nick Robinson man😍
Original post by jxnna01
And of course, it’s Nick Robinson man😍

They made a good choice with him! Really easy on the eye, and if the trailer is anything to go by, he sure looks great in this movie. A lot of girls loved him after Jurassic World and other movies, but this will likely boost his gay fanbase.
(edited 6 years ago)
what?
Original post by monkeyman0121
what?

I'm not really sure what you are asking, but if you are wondering about the movie: Nick Robinson plays a gay teen named Simon who comes to terms with his sexuality and then starts e-mailing an anonymous gay guy at his school, and he eventually comes out. It sounds right up my alley.
Reply 17
Definitely, I remember reading the book about a year ago and only hearing about the moving a couple months ago. Can't wait to see it when it comes out.
Original post by T.J.A
Definitely, I remember reading the book about a year ago and only hearing about the moving a couple months ago. Can't wait to see it when it comes out.

I bought the book nearly 6 weeks ago whilst on prelim leave. Read most of it, but haven't read much for a while due to being in school full time and trying to hide it from family.
The book is great though!
Reply 19
Original post by Joe2001
I bought the book nearly 6 weeks ago whilst on prelim leave. Read most of it, but haven't read much for a while due to being in school full time and trying to hide it from family.
The book is great though!

Fair enough, if you ever finish the book there are a couple others you should read if you find a way, names Openly Straight and its sequel Honestly Ben.

Quick Reply

Latest