The Student Room Group

Moving into flat - list of items I will need

First ever time moving out what will I definitely need (very basics)
Original post by Esme6560

Is it furnished?

Will the flat be furnished? Or will you need things like a cooker, fridge, freezer, wardrobe, somewhere to sit and sleep?
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
Is it furnished?

Nope
Nope

A bed ,a fridge and freezer and something to cook with are the main things to sort things first. Then you would need pans, cutlery and bedding.
Reply 5
Lamps and throws to make it cosy. Slow cooker for easy batch meals.
Original post by jsam0226
Lamps and throws to make it cosy. Slow cooker for easy batch meals.

Lol those aren't the "very basics" that the OP asked for and needs.

OP - fridge, freezer, oven, cooker, bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers, bedside table, TV, TV stand, sofa, armchairs, coffee table, bookcase, dining table, kettle, toaster, microwave, desk, chairs. That's your furniture.

Then stuff like lights, curtains, mats, hooks for doors, loo rolls, loo roll holder, towels, plates, cutlery, bowls, draining board, pots, pans, pillows, duvet, duvet covers, shoe rack, extension leads. That's all I can think of right now.
Reply 7
Original post by DrawTheLine
Lol those aren't the "very basics" that the OP asked for and needs.

OP - fridge, freezer, oven, cooker, bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers, bedside table, TV, TV stand, sofa, armchairs, coffee table, bookcase, dining table, kettle, toaster, microwave, desk, chairs. That's your furniture.

Then stuff like lights, curtains, mats, hooks for doors, loo rolls, loo roll holder, towels, plates, cutlery, bowls, draining board, pots, pans, pillows, duvet, duvet covers, shoe rack, extension leads. That's all I can think of right now.

To be honest I glazed over the basic part....But some parts of the world consider comfort a basic need (Denmark for example). And I'd argue a TV isn't a basic requirement either. But point taken.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jsam0226
To be honest I glazed over the basic part....But some parts of the world consider comfort a basic need (Denmark for example). And I'd argue a TV isn't a basic requirement either. But point taken.

I would have assumed the OP was in the UK considering it's a UK site. And I agree with you about the TV, but I thought I'd put it in because it tends to be a staple part of a living room nowadays. Of course, it depends on the OP's personal preferences.
If it's unfurnished it also depends a bit on space (e.g. if you don't have a living room, only a studio that's different) and finances (e.g. if you're tight on money you can skip TV/stand/bedside table)

living room - sofa/chairs, TV, TV stand, perhaps some shelves/storage
bedroom - bed, clothes storage (drawers or wardrobe), bedside table, bedding (duvet, pillows, covers)
kitchen - fridge/freezer, oven/hob, pots/pans/crockery/cutlery, depending what/how you like to cook - kettle, microwave, toaster, slow cooker, you may also want to invest in a big shop of herbs/spices/etc if you like to cook proper food (go to an asian supermarket for this!)
bathroom - toilet brush, towels (also if you want, toilet roll holder, toothbrush holder, towel rack)

you may also want some hooks on the back of the door, pictures, throw, cushions, lights/lamps, desk+chair

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending