The Student Room Group

How shall I become a teacher?

Hi, I'm interested in becoming a primary (reception/ks1) teacher. There is a lot of information out there and it I'd really confusing. I studying a level 3 childcare and education course. After I have completed the course, which is the best way to become a primary teacher? I don't have a lot of money do uni is probably not the best option. Could I straight away do apprenticeship to become one? Also, do u need to have a c grade in gcse science? Thanks for reading x
Original post by EmilyMayRussell
Hi, I'm interested in becoming a primary (reception/ks1) teacher. There is a lot of information out there and it I'd really confusing. I studying a level 3 childcare and education course. After I have completed the course, which is the best way to become a primary teacher? I don't have a lot of money do uni is probably not the best option. Could I straight away do apprenticeship to become one? Also, do u need to have a c grade in gcse science? Thanks for reading x
C grade in science is a yes to my knowledge I'm afraid.:redface: I don't know how strict universities/schemes/employers are on that though...:hmmmm:

To be a Teacher you need Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). It's rare to get QTS without a degree.

You can do a Primary Education BA (with QTS) degree that normally lasts 4 years which will enable you to become a primary school teacher.

Or you can do a degree of your choosing and do a post-graduate qualification (like a PGCE or PGDE) afterwards that gives you QTS.

Other post-grad options are available like Schools direct and teach first, which award you with QTS as well.:smile:
Original post by EmilyMayRussell
x

Original post by 04MR17
C grade in science is a yes to my knowledge I'm afraid.:redface: I don't know how strict universities/schemes/employers are on that though...:hmmmm:

To be a Teacher you need Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). It's rare to get QTS without a degree.

You can do a Primary Education BA (with QTS) degree that normally lasts 4 years which will enable you to become a primary school teacher.

Or you can do a degree of your choosing and do a post-graduate qualification (like a PGCE or PGDE) afterwards that gives you QTS.

Other post-grad options are available like Schools direct and teach first, which award you with QTS as well.:smile:

Just to build on your answer - a grade C in GCSE Science is an absolute requirement, but there are GCSE-level equivalency exams that may be accepted; it'll be up to the individual institutions. BA QTS courses are often 3 years, so a year shorter than doing an undergrad degree than a PGCE, though several places are 4 years.

And Emily, as you want to teach Reception & KS1, look out for the 3-7 route. The 5-11 route is the most common, but that doesn't include EYFS and therefore Reception, so make sure, whether you end up applying for undergrad or postgrad routes, that it's the 3-7 route as a lot of places just do 5-11 by default and without emphasis. I'm applying for a 3-7 Primary PGCE this October and a lot of places I really liked (Durham and Manchester to name a couple) only offer 5-11, and undergrad courses are often the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending