The Student Room Group

Cambridge History Admissions Test

I'm going through my first year of the A level course and I figured that now would be a reasonable time to ask questions about the Cambridge History Admissions assessment.
1. What is the average score on each section of the test ?
2. Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for the exam ?
3. How would one structure each essay question ?
4. How much significance does the exam represent in the admissions process?

Finally just a question for interviews, not specifically Cambridge -
5. How do you prepare for a history interview?
6. Should i start reading history books ? if so, are there any you would reccomend? Perhaps it is a bit early too be thinking so far ahead. Either way, an answer for any of the questions would be very useful and appreciated
Reply 1
Original post by ClarkAC
I'm going through my first year of the A level course and I figured that now would be a reasonable time to ask questions about the Cambridge History Admissions assessment.

6. Should i start reading history books ? if so, are there any you would reccomend? Perhaps it is a bit early too be thinking so far ahead. Either way, an answer for any of the questions would be very useful and appreciated

Have you had a look at some of the existing threads about the HAT?

Also one of the Admissions Tutors will be hosting one of their regular threads in due course and will be best placed to answer questions. (And yes you are a bit early to be thinking about all this. :smile: )

You can see some previous threads from the links in this stickied post:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2467228
Welcome to the Cambridge University Forum! Please read :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
Have you had a look at some of the existing threads about the HAT?

Also one of the Admissions Tutors will be hosting one of their regular threads in due course and will be best placed to answer questions. (And yes you are a bit early to be thinking about all this. :smile: )

You can see some previous threads from the links in this stickied post:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2467228
Welcome to the Cambridge University Forum! Please read :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot, I shall have a perusal. I'm looking around universities in the not so distant future and i won't be taking AS levels due to the new linear system, so i thought perhaps i would see and ask about the admissions process.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Regarding books, the King's history department have a recommended reading list here. Also reading around your a-level history topics is a good idea.
:biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by poloo
Hi! There was a freedom of information request that released the HAA results for successful 2017-18 applicants, as well as other interesting info.https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/454498/response/1103894/attach/2/FOI 2018 01 Chen response letter and data.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

Hmm, it's all applicants, and would have been more useful to also ask if they got offers... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ClarkAC

Err, you are quite early, but I (somehow?!) got an offer for history from Cambridge this year and so I'll try to answer for you :smile:.

Section 1 (the multiple choice comprehension) is graded on a 1-9 scale with 4 being set as the average. In the 2016 HAA, a score of 25/36, I believe, would have been a 4. Section 2 (the source analysis section) is apparently marked out of 10.

I took the HAA in 2017 and got a 7 in section 1 and 7.5 in section 2 (according to the FOI here) so far from perfect, but maybe this will be of some use: for section 1 LNAT and TSA papers (available online and in some books) were useful as the format is similar to section 1 of the HAA and for section 2, practising source analysis using the HAA specimen, 2016 HAA and Oxford HAT papers (especially question 3) was helpful. I'd advise practising in timed conditions as the timing in the exam was, I thought, quite tight.

There's only one essay question: contrast and compare the sources. I took a comparative approach, picking out broad themes explored in both sources and analysing and evaluating how each source dealt with them.

No idea about how important the HAA is - sorry :smile:.

To prepare for my interview, I read over my personal statement and tried to imagine what issues might arise, read over the essays I submitted and thought about my argument and its strengths/weaknesses in light of my more recent reading and just generally tried to practise reading and understanding primary sources/historians' arguments.

If there is one book I would recommend above all others, it is Richard Evans' 'In Defence of History' - brilliant overview of the subject and of historiography!

Hope this helps and if you have any questions about what applying was like, feel free to PM :smile:.

EDIT: So recently some friends of a friend asked for some HAA tips and I collated all my notes from last year into a mini guide, which is linked here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g11ihhf8Toj4HoI2cEHglX9tOnZbL6RgJhlnBns-c84/edit?usp=sharing . Hope it can be of some help :smile:!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending