The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Profesh
Also true, alas; but the "hobby", such as it is, prevails more among men—at least as regards our domestic scene—and that disparity is likewise mirrored in the UK's paucity of notable female composers, producers and DJs, if not of 'practising musicians' per se, to the extent that encountering such on native soil might feel tantamount to crossing paths with an actual unicorn.

Conversely, the situation in continental Europe seems somehow more broadly conducive to female representation within this field, and—again, somewhat anecdotally; insomuch as OkCupid (ahem) can bear witness—it strikes me as perhaps no co-incidence that women hailing from these cultures will seem to exhibit a greater net tendency towards the kind of cosmopolitan musical attitude that I personally prize in a prospective partner; to preferences which span the acoustic and the electronic in more or less equal measure, and do not eschew left-field, experimental or otherwise 'difficult' material that, while by no means unassailably avant garde or purely technical, still requires one's ear to be attentive, perceptive, and generally responsive to nuance. In short: the kind of dating profile that abounds with names like Debussy, Satie, Rautavaara, Venetian Snares, Amon Tobin, The Coup, Frank Zappa, Pan Sonic, Coldcut, Xiu Xiu, and so forth.

Unfortunately, my own experience remains that such women—in the UK, if not necessarily elsewhere—are still vanishingly thin on the ground, and more's the pity.

That music is beautiful and truly moves one’s core being...and fills with a sense of completeness and inner peace...but allowing oneself to spend too much time in that experience can prove quite hazardous. The essence of what ‘we’ really are. It takes someone quite unique to be able to move their body and full being in tune with it. Don’t let my love of Britney Spears and one direction fool you, as laughable though you may find them. Not that I think I ever have or ever could fool you, mind.

Batshit crazy? Indeed. Totally harmless though, I promise.
Original post by Profesh
Formerly, yes; for the better part of two years. Not since 2010, though.

Nothing to do with me and Amy I hope?
Girls should exlpore music, look at 40s n 50s the rat pack especially, such great music
Original post by Zargabaath
Yes lol, almost every girl i've met has either been into the standard chart garbage, or has been "alt" but actually only listened to the most bland, entry level bands in any given genre.

"Oh you like metal, what bands do you like?"
"I really like black Sabbath and bring me the horizon xDDDD"

"Oh you like hiphop, what artists do you like?"
"I really like kendrick and miigos xDDDD"

ect ect

Don't even get me started on the indie ones smh

as a female indie kid- i'm intrigued- please expand on that point?
Reply 44
Original post by questionofrust
as a female indie kid- i'm intrigued- please expand on that point?

What are your favourite bands?
Original post by difficult
What are your favourite bands?

Ezra Furman, Little Comets, Wolf Alice, VANT, INHEAVEN, but I also am a fan of jazz, e.g. Wynton Marsalis etc.
I think it is true to say there is objectively good music, opposed to mediocre, formulaic, structurally derivative, chord progression simplistically cliched, trash music.

Most people just aren't that interested in music, others have a true passion for it. The later can easily differentiate good music from bad, even in genres they don't usually like or listen to. For example, I don't really like, or listen to, modern rap and 'R&B', but I can tell a great tune when I hear one.

Think you OP made it perfectly clear that there are exceptions to rule. But people who are really into music, I think it's far to say far more men have a passion for good music than women. (and for all the pedants, of course that does not mean there aren't plenty of women with great taste in quality music!)
There is objectively good and bad music I agree.

People who think there isn't are usually the ones who have been described in this thread.
Original post by Wilfred Little
What's wrong with Sabbath and Kendrick?

Yeah I'd be all over a girl if they liked sabbath as in properly liked them and had actually listened to a few of their albums.
Original post by CollectiveSoul
yeah i do actually. i can't think of a single girl who would know of Dream Theater or a non-goth girl who liked Metallica. pink floyd are way more popular amongst guys and older music in general. can't speak for old school hip hop as i dont listen to that...

Dude, good taste in music! I'm listening to Dream Theater rn aha
Original post by black1blade
Yeah I'd be all over a girl if they liked sabbath as in properly liked them and had actually listened to a few of their albums.

Both probably are 'entry' level (in the sense that they are that good, if you are new to either genre then they will be among the first to be recommended) but neither are bland imo.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Both probably are 'entry' level (in the sense that they are that good, if you are new to either genre then they will be among the first to be recommended) but neither are bland imo.

Yeah musically sabbath is great and so is kendrick too probs (I'm not really into that sorta music myself but I never said I had broad tastes XD).
Original post by Dylan7889
Girls should exlpore music, look at 40s n 50s the rat pack especially, such great music

Some of us have done / do.
Reply 53
Original post by Tiger Rag
Some of us have done / do.

Yeah tbf I think there are lot of girls probably familiar with Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin etc. kind of hard not to be. Again though, there are probably more who are into Drake, Ed Sheeran and Charlie Puth so maybe still a minority.
Original post by JoshDarnIt
Dude, good taste in music! I'm listening to Dream Theater rn aha

good lad.

which are your favourites by them?
good lad.

which are your favourites by them?

Damn, I love every album of theirs so its hard to choose! I'd say Octavarium is my fave album with the song itself being one of my faves. Breaking all Illusions is a close contender too. And damn, Space Dye Vest just hits me in the feels.

Whenever they release their next album, I hope its not like their most recent. I enjoyed it and all, but its definitely not their strongest.

Wbu? Which ones are your favourites?
Original post by JoshDarnIt
Damn, I love every album of theirs so its hard to choose! I'd say Octavarium is my fave album with the song itself being one of my faves. Breaking all Illusions is a close contender too. And damn, Space Dye Vest just hits me in the feels.

Whenever they release their next album, I hope its not like their most recent. I enjoyed it and all, but its definitely not their strongest.

Wbu? Which ones are your favourites?

i have never 'got' Octavarian.

One of my favourite songs of all time (up there with bohemian rhapsody, fade to black and stairway to heaven) is A Change of Seasons....and to me Octavarian just sounds like a half-arsed rehash of it... maybe i need to re-listen!

also love the Hollow Years live at budokan and metropolis..but tbh most of them are good :yy:
i have never 'got' Octavarian.

One of my favourite songs of all time (up there with bohemian rhapsody, fade to black and stairway to heaven) is A Change of Seasons....and to me Octavarian just sounds like a half-arsed rehash of it... maybe i need to re-listen!

also love the Hollow Years live at budokan and metropolis..but tbh most of them are good :yy:

To me, I see Octavarium and A Change of Seasons as 2 of the best songs in progressive rock/metal history, but hey, that's just my opinion :smile: It just takes me on a journey.
Original post by Zargabaath
Yes lol, almost every girl i've met has either been into the standard chart garbage, or has been "alt" but actually only listened to the most bland, entry level bands in any given genre.

"Oh you like metal, what bands do you like?"
"I really like black Sabbath and bring me the horizon xDDDD"

"Oh you like hiphop, what artists do you like?"
"I really like kendrick and miigos xDDDD"

ect ect

Don't even get me started on the indie ones smh

Your use of the "xDDDD" :rofl:
I'd say it depends on the person. As a female, I will admit that I have listened to pop groups in the past and I do enjoy some chart music. However, my taste is quite varied I reckon; I like songs from different genres. Songs I like range from the 1960s to now.

Latest