The Student Room Group

Couple sharing room in student housing

I currently live in a shared student house however there's a couple sharing a room with us and they share the rent (£100 each while the rest of pay £200 each). Is this legal? I'm asking as they are horrible tenants and they never contribute towards heating and electric. What would happen if I let our landlord know ? It's not really fair that they pay a considerable amount less than the rest of the tenants
Original post by Anonymous
I currently live in a shared student house however there's a couple sharing a room with us and they share the rent (£100 each while the rest of pay £200 each). Is this legal? I'm asking as they are horrible tenants and they never contribute towards heating and electric. What would happen if I let our landlord know ? It's not really fair that they pay a considerable amount less than the rest of the tenants

If the landlords aware and he has the correct licence then it's not illegal , if you informed the landlord it d be up to them whether to evict the tenant or not.
Reply 2
Is it in the contract that they can share a room and pay half rent? If it is then not much you can do, but if it isn't tell your landlord as technically one shouldn't be in there. Or tell them that if they don't start contributing to bills you will tell the landlord. If/When they pay for some of the bills tell the landlord anyway as it's still not cool. They've used a situation to their advantage, now do the same back.
If the landlords OK with it, then it's probably fine. However if this is a student house and the rent is £200 then I doubt the landlord knows, most won't let two people share like that. I would call a house meeting and try and deal with the bills issue - they should be paying two shares towards everything since they use more water etc. If they won't agree then report to the landlord. It's worth discussing it with them first cos tbh it might not be easy for the landlord to evict them if they're difficult about it .

Quick Reply

Latest