The Student Room Group

Asymmetrical face help - jaw surgery cost?

So one side of my face is lower down than the other. I've known this since I was around 11 but recently (I'm 19) for the past year or so it's REALLY started to bother me. I was wondering what the best way to fix this would be, as it seems to affect my whole face. I'm thinking it might be my jaw. my left side of my chin droops down and my mouth is crooked towards this side, which then makes my nose bend toward this side and be lower on this side. So my nostrils are also uneven and my nose tip droops. my eye is slightly bigger on that side too, it's like the droopiness of my jaw/chin has pulled everything down. This side is fatter too, so it's fat and then a big lump of chin muscle (especially when I smile), but on the other side it rounds off easily.

I hate the left side of my face, I refuse to get in picture on this side and I hate that I might have to live with this :frown: my self esteem and happiness would improve drastically if I had a more symmetrical face, but I fear how much all of this would cost. I'm not going to uni this year and I'm going to work but even then I can only spend a few thousand max. I wanted to correct this before I go to uni or meet lots of people in the future, I don't want to be remembered with my past wonky face!

Who do i enquire about this if I wanted to? Would I ask a dentist, even if its for cosmetic reasons? Because I'm not sure if it's my jaw/teeth, it could by my nose or something else
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by liiv18
So one side of my face is lower down than the other. I've known this since I was around 11 but recently (I'm 19) for the past year or so it's REALLY started to bother me. I was wondering what the best way to fix this would be, as it seems to affect my whole face. I'm thinking it might be my jaw. my left side of my chin droops down and my mouth is crooked towards this side, which then makes my nose bend toward this side and be lower on this side. So my nostrils are also uneven and my nose tip droops. my eye is slightly bigger on that side too, it's like the droopiness of my jaw/chin has pulled everything down. This side is fatter too, so it's fat and then a big lump of chin muscle (especially when I smile), but on the other side it rounds off easily.

I hate the left side of my face, I refuse to get in picture on this side and I hate that I might have to live with this :frown: my self esteem and happiness would improve drastically if I had a more symmetrical face, but I fear how much all of this would cost. I'm not going to uni this year and I'm going to work but even then I can only spend a few thousand max. I wanted to correct this before I go to uni or meet lots of people in the future, I don't want to be remembered with my past wonky face!

Who do i enquire about this if I wanted to? Would I ask a dentist, even if its for cosmetic reasons? Because I'm not sure if it's my jaw/teeth, it could by my nose or something else

when I had aesthetic problems when I was younger I always google tricks especially makeup tricks.

so just use make up or do you reallywant surgery?

edit
also teeth can affect how gum and jaw looks and your first bet would be GP if going the cosmetic route
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Sagul
when I had aesthetic problems when I was younger I always google tricks especially makeup tricks.

so just use make up or do you reallywant surgery?

I already contour my nose to look straighterbut that only works slightly from the front and doesn't work at angles. i also fill in the top of my left eyebrow so it looks higher in proportion and contour my jaw, but there's no way to hide the protruding bit of muscle on my chin and the wrinkle from smiling on that side.

I would really like surgery yes but thanks for replying
Reply 3
Original post by liiv18
I already contour my nose to look straighterbut that only works slightly from the front and doesn't work at angles. i also fill in the top of my left eyebrow so it looks higher in proportion and contour my jaw, but there's no way to hide the protruding bit of muscle on my chin and the wrinkle from smiling on that side.

I would really like surgery yes but thanks for replying

I have seen someone who looks like Gretchen from recess transform their face just by braces and maybe some other teeth related procedure which will be much cheaper

also there are filler options but they are temporary
Reply 4
Hii bro I have the exact same problem but also scoliosis with uneven shoulder I started a dentist treatment in Italy it improves a little bit but you can't get simmetrical face.Recently I saw a video on YouTube about tmj treatment that without any surgery can fix this problem and I sent an email to the doctor and now I'm waiting for the answer.We have the same problem if you have any other option let me know

Quick Reply

Latest