The Student Room Group

Should I take Media Studies A Level?

(Is this the wrong topic? Maybe. But everyone ignored it in the other topic, and I think it’s an important question, so I’m posting it here.)

Hello,

I’m in Year 10. In my school we had to choose three non compulsory subjects for GCSE; I chose computing, Spanish and history. Media Studies was an option but my parents talked me out of it. Now I regret doing history because it’s a difficult GCSE, I take little interest in it outside the lessons, I’m average (at least in my school) at it and I just don’t see it opening up many paths in my future.

My parents, especially my dad, were very adverse to me taking it for GCSE, so I didn’t, but it’s the one subject I take a big interest in outside of school. So I have a few questions to pose here:

1) Does taking A Level Media Studies disadvantage you if you didn’t take it for GCSE compared to if you did? It would normally not be an issue because only some schools offer the option (indeed, at my original secondary school before I moved, it was not) but the problem is the sixth form I would do the A Level in is in my current school, and so the students taking it would most likely have taken it for GCSE. Would this make it more difficult for me?

2) Is it true that you have to be ruthless to get a career in this subject? I’m not sure if this is true or has been told to me by my parents to ward me off. I’m not a naturally very outgoing person so if so this would be a large factor in deciding whether or not this would be for me.

3) How well does it pay? I’m worried it may pay peanuts unless you’re very lucky.

4) Finally, should I take the GCSE outside of normal lessons (for example, in my spare time)? And if so, is it necessary or even possible to take the final exam?

Thanks if you saw this and replies would be very grateful as this will impact my future heavily (I still have a while to think about it, but I’m worried I should make a decision sooner rather than later.

Thanks again!

Owen
Nope. Don't take it. It could become pain in the ass.
For me, this is an incredibly easy decision. Keep History and drop Media Studies.

History is respected much more by Universities and, although it may seem difficult now, your essay skills will develop closer to the exam. Remember, your only in year 10 so you're not going to be getting 9s straight away. There is a lot of content to history but If you learn it, you will probably be fine.

Media studies, on the other hand is not respected by unis, as it is considered an essay course.

A History GCSE can lead you more places as, if you wish to continue this into A level, will take you very far. What you have to remember is that you can get jobs in media with a History degree, but you can't necessarily get a job in History with a media degree. Therefore, taking GCSE History will open more doors.

Furthermore, changing courses at this time in the GCSE will mean a lot of extra work which you could put into improving your history skills which will contribute to better grades anyway.

I hope this helps.
Reply 3
Original post by Fasih123
Nope. Don't take it. It could become pain in the ass.

Sorry but could you expand on why?
It's not as easy as it looks especially the portfolio. You need to give it a lot of time which could harm your other subjects
Reply 5
Original post by MusicmaestroBAR
For me, this is an incredibly easy decision. Keep History and drop Media Studies.

History is respected much more by Universities and, although it may seem difficult now, your essay skills will develop closer to the exam. Remember, your only in year 10 so you're not going to be getting 9s straight away. There is a lot of content to history but If you learn it, you will probably be fine.

Media studies, on the other hand is not respected by unis, as it is considered an essay course.

A History GCSE can lead you more places as, if you wish to continue this into A level, will take you very far. What you have to remember is that you can get jobs in media with a History degree, but you can't necessarily get a job in History with a media degree. Therefore, taking GCSE History will open more doors.

Furthermore, changing courses at this time in the GCSE will mean a lot of extra work which you could put into improving your history skills which will contribute to better grades anyway.

I hope this helps.

Hey, thanks for your help!

I was never intending to switch my GCSE course, I was saying after my GCSEs what should I do? I imagine your answer would be the same but confirmation would be useful.

I assume by this, then, that media corporations don’t look for any of this sort of stuff at all if you wanted to work there?
Original post by OwenDaBoss
Hey, thanks for your help!

I was never intending to switch my GCSE course, I was saying after my GCSEs what should I do? I imagine your answer would be the same but confirmation would be useful.

I assume by this, then, that media corporations don’t look for any of this sort of stuff at all if you wanted to work there?

Yes, Keep history. History is very useful.

Obviously this is subjective and each corporation is different. Some may look for media studies and it should be a valuable asset but it is not an essential. For example, a lot of industries just look for a 'standard degree' to prove that you have a certain level of education. However, like I said, you have more options open to you through studying history -such as journalism for example.

Quick Reply

Latest