The Student Room Group

Investment Banking

Hello, I will be starting to study Business Economics at the University of Glasgow and I am hoping to pursue a career in IB when I finish. Given that I would get a first or a 2.1, how likely is it that I will be able to pursue this career?

Scroll to see replies

First year Spring weeks.
Oh no, an investment banking thread.... 😂😂
Original post by Pedaw1
Hello, I will be starting to study Business Economics at the University of Glasgow and I am hoping to pursue a career in IB when I finish. Given that I would get a first or a 2.1, how likely is it that I will be able to pursue this career?

Glasgow is a non target for IB, have you firmed them yet?
Original post by Pedaw1

Getting a 1st or 2:1 is table stakes, that won't differentiate you from the thousands of other people with the same stuff.. Glasgow is a non-target, sure, but it's not such a bad university that you'd have no looks (given your CV and applications are up to scratch).. No one can say what will happen all you can do is put your best foot forward.

Posted from TSR Mobile
IB is dead tbh, Hedgefunds are where the real talent is.
Original post by Realitysreflexx

You ideally need to get some IB experience before working at a hedge fund. A lot of lucrative high finance careers require a 2 stint in IB
Original post by Caesar333
You ideally need to get some IB experience before working at a hedge fund. A lot of lucrative high finance careers require a 2 stint in IB

i would rather learn how to invest my own money, (granted i get a high paying job with enough dispensable income) then take that portfolio to a hedgefund... (highly hypothetical dreaming).
i would rather learn how to invest my own money, (granted i get a high paying job with enough dispensable income) then take that portfolio to a hedgefund... (highly hypothetical dreaming).

Im not sure what your point is.

Lol good luck getting into any non-quant hedge fund without high finance experience. And for the quant ones, good luck getting and passing those interviews without a quantitative degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Lol good luck getting into any non-quant hedge fund without high finance experience. And for the quant ones, good luck getting and passing those interviews without a quantitative degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hedgefund managers arent all quants though.....and they hire on relationships and experience, its not cheesy investment bank maths test lol. If i get to know the right people i could get into a hedgefund or maybe start one. But yes this is the dreamy luck route, im gonna work in strategy ideally im more suited for that, its just a shame i love markets, really nothings more interesting. (dont have the quant skills).
Hedgefund managers arent all quants though.....and they hire on relationships and experience, its not cheesy investment bank maths test lol. If i get to know the right people i could get into a hedgefund or maybe start one. But yes this is the dreamy luck route, im gonna work in strategy ideally im more suited for that, its just a shame i love markets, really nothings more interesting. (dont have the quant skills).

If you don’t have a solid track record you won’t be hired. If you start there, you will just do ER for a HF instead of an IB.
Original post by xtrembob
If you don’t have a solid track record you won’t be hired. If you start there, you will just do ER for a HF instead of an IB.

Isnt it really just reading computer screens analysing market events and going with your "gut". I feel like thats what it used to be lol. As if these guys are working out new formulas everyday i just dont see it. Do IB really rewrite the algorithims? i doubt it likely they babysit the screens and looks for triggers and watch CNBC...I feel like this whole maths thing is just a filter, would be interesting to see if an actual IB spent his whole day actually analysing share valuations seems silly. Wouldnt that then be qualitative research which seems silly since computers do it better then humans anyway? all very mystical stuff tbf.
Isnt it really just reading computer screens analysing market events and going with your "gut". I feel like thats what it used to be lol. As if these guys are working out new formulas everyday i just dont see it. Do IB really rewrite the algorithims? i doubt it likely they babysit the screens and looks for triggers and watch CNBC...I feel like this whole maths thing is just a filter, would be interesting to see if an actual IB spent his whole day actually analysing share valuations seems silly. Wouldnt that then be qualitative research which seems silly since computers do it better then humans anyway? all very mystical stuff tbf.

It's a prestigious job, so they can afford to be picky. Even if the job is as simple as you seem to think it is.

Whatever delusional dream you have, it still requires either IB experience/other HF or a PhD in maths
It's a prestigious job, so they can afford to be picky. Even if the job is as simple as you seem to think it is.

Whatever delusional dream you have, it still requires either IB experience/other HF or a PhD in maths

I totally agree :smile: but hey discussing even your irrational dreams sometimes is fun lol.
Reply 15
Original post by Princepieman
Getting a 1st or 2:1 is table stakes, that won't differentiate you from the thousands of other people with the same stuff.. Glasgow is a non-target, sure, but it's not such a bad university that you'd have no looks (given your CV and applications are up to scratch).. No one can say what will happen all you can do is put your best foot forward.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, thankyou! I might consider after finishing my degree at Glasgow to try and obtain a doctorate in economics at Cambridge as they require either a high 2.1 or a first which I feel I can do. Maybe that would boost my chances of becoming an IB.
Original post by Pedaw1
Okay, thankyou! I might consider after finishing my degree at Glasgow to try and obtain a doctorate in economics at Cambridge as they require either a high 2.1 or a first which I feel I can do. Maybe that would boost my chances of becoming an IB.

Something you have to know, is that once you are out of sixth form, no one really cares about your grade as long as you have a decent 2.1+. They select on a very individual basis hence seek other skills as well. These jobs are not rocket science and do not require PhDs but a miriad of various skills that are defining you as an individual. Cambridge is an option but there are many more than just Cambridge
Reply 17
Original post by xtrembob
Something you have to know, is that once you are out of sixth form, no one really cares about your grade as long as you have a decent 2.1+. They select on a very individual basis hence seek other skills as well. These jobs are not rocket science and do not require PhDs but a miriad of various skills that are defining you as an individual. Cambridge is an option but there are many more than just Cambridge

So should I look at doing things such as summer and easter internships and join clubs such as investment clubs?
I totally agree :smile: but hey discussing even your irrational dreams sometimes is fun lol.

Speak for yourself bro. Im guessing those rejections hit you hard huh?
Speak for yourself bro. Im guessing those rejections hit you hard huh?

im in uni, first year have never even applied...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending