The Student Room Group

A graduate on an apprenticeship who is getting paid £3.50 an hour

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 299400
GCSE qualification in how to print documents.

You can’t get gcse’s from an apprenticeship... and “how to print documents” isn’t even a subject. Either you’re trolling or getting scammed lmao. Who’s your training provider?
Original post by 299400
Sorry mate but you're likely a 16 year old , is straight out of school and has a long career ahead of him/her. You working in a garage on 3.50 isn't bad because you will learn a lot of useful stuff like fixing cars, therefore, you'll earn good amount of money in the future whereas I am 20 something with a degree and on 3.50 an hour doing monkey work like photocopying and making tea rounds! go figure

university was a mistake for you then. if you think graduating guarantees you a nice 27k salary straight away then you need to wake up. You should've gotten an apprenticeship after college/sixth form but cant change that now.
Reply 22
Original post by 299400
Sorry mate but you're likely a 16 year old , is straight out of school and has a long career ahead of him/her. You working in a garage on 3.50 isn't bad because you will learn a lot of useful stuff like fixing cars, therefore, you'll earn good amount of money in the future whereas I am 20 something with a degree and on 3.50 an hour doing monkey work like photocopying and making tea rounds! go figure

How rude. Someone is offering you advice and then you say something like that without any actual facts to back your statement up.
Believe me I've been where you have, earning crap money knowing it won't really lead to anything. You obviously took the job for a reason - if you don't like it apply for something else. Some apprenticeships such as engineering or mechanics are useful because yes, whilst its crap money to bring it leads to a decent career. I have also seen apprentices for working in retail, something which 10 years ago you could walk into after or before ending high school. Kudos to you for wanting to get off the dole but find something else!
Reply 23
Original post by Tw1x
How rude. Someone is offering you advice and then you say something like that without any actual facts to back your statement up.
Believe me I've been where you have, earning crap money knowing it won't really lead to anything. You obviously took the job for a reason - if you don't like it apply for something else. Some apprenticeships such as engineering or mechanics are useful because yes, whilst its crap money to bring it leads to a decent career. I have also seen apprentices for working in retail, something which 10 years ago you could walk into after or before ending high school. Kudos to you for wanting to get off the dole but find something else!

how is that rude?
Also I wouldn't call this a job it's more of an exploitation rather.
Reply 24
Original post by 299400
how is that rude?
Also I wouldn't call this a job it's more of an exploitation rather.

Implying that the person trying to help you was '16 and straight out of school with a long career ahead' with no need to worry about being on a crap wage?
Well, more fool you for taking it. I've took pay cuts in my life for the sake of my happiness but whilst I was job hunting I would never have taken 'apprentice in butchery' or 'apprentice in level 2 shop assistant. I'm sorry but when I left school these were job you needed no experience in and you still earned minimum wage. You are right, it is exploitation, so find something else?
Original post by 299400
Chemistry

Where from?
Original post by returnmigrant

Did you read the thing you linked? Because it says they are still eligible if the company is willing to pay, or if it is not funded by the government. (Lots of apprenticeships are not supported by the government.)
Original post by cat_mac
What’s the qualification you’re working towards though?

nothing useful...

OP isn't learning a skill. This is one of those apprenticeships where 5 years ago they'd have hired an actual employee on minimum wage or just above... but luckily now they can call it an apprenticeship and halve the wage.

OP I wouldn't call you a failure but the system has failed if you can have a good degree like chemistry and end up working in something like this. Keep looking for other options and don't give up.
Reply 28
Original post by doodle_333
nothing useful...

OP isn't learning a skill. This is one of those apprenticeships where 5 years ago they'd have hired an actual employee on minimum wage or just above... but luckily now they can call it an apprenticeship and halve the wage.

OP I wouldn't call you a failure but the system has failed if you can have a good degree like chemistry and end up working in something like this. Keep looking for other options and don't give up.

BIB - what I was trying to explain earlier. It used to really wind me up when I was job seeking, jobs that were given freely to people without being qualified passed off as apprentices so they can get away with paying less than minimum wage. To me an apprentice is something that is going to learn to a trade and earn decent money not being 'qualified' to work in a shop, it really is sickening.
How did you end up working in your apprenticeship? What kind of jobs were you looking for after graduation, and what work experience do you have before?
Should've done a degree apprenticeship
Original post by Tw1x
BIB - what I was trying to explain earlier. It used to really wind me up when I was job seeking, jobs that were given freely to people without being qualified passed off as apprentices so they can get away with paying less than minimum wage. To me an apprentice is something that is going to learn to a trade and earn decent money not being 'qualified' to work in a shop, it really is sickening.

Yep. Really sad. I had an old job where I was replaced by an apprentice and I've worked with apprentices doing these jobs... appalling that the government allows it and sad for the person who gains no real qualification.
Reply 32
Original post by doodle_333
Yep. Really sad. I had an old job where I was replaced by an apprentice and I've worked with apprentices doing these jobs... appalling that the government allows it and sad for the person who gains no real qualification.

What was the job if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by 299400
What was the job if you don't mind me asking?

Support work
what u playing at pal
quit and find a proper job
Reply 35
Original post by Dominoes
what u playing at pal
quit and find a proper job

well u help me find one at dominos?

Quick Reply

Latest