The Student Room Group

Online- Falling in love

Scroll to see replies

Original post by starfab
i haven't either but from others conversations it seems so. Alhamdulliah for that sis. I think real lobe only comes one way and that's love attached to Allah. Develop feelings I can get but TSR takes it to another level sometimes

Hmmm I supoose one could argue that but I wasn't talking about looks anyway.

hmm. It could be argued that you are talking about looks as your way of confirming that this person exists is through seeing them. Therefore, if you've developed a relationship with someone, does it really matter if they are/ or are not the person they claim to be? The internet is a mask anyway. Food for thought...
Reply 21
That’s good to know masha’Allah. Yeah it does at times on here. Exactly, I agree sis.
Hahah perhaps I don’t really take some stuff on here seriously lol but trust it does happen- I’ve had many pms regarding this issue in the past lol.
Yeah pretty much, I think it would be impossible for me to fall in love with someone without first spending a significant amount of time with them in person. Becoming good friends with a girl or boy online is perfectly possible.
Original post by MusicmaestroBAR
You don't love your friends for how they look,

a relationship is just one step further than friendship, If you consider love to be on a spectrum.

I don't think the question is to do with looks. I don't think you could really call someone you've never met in real life your best friend either.
If you facetime a lot then I think yeah fair enough you're close to knowing what the person is really like. But if you only message then you really have no idea.
A guy was messaging me for a couple weeks on facebook and I knew he was at my uni and I had real life mutual friends but he didn't have many recent pics. I started to develop some attraction to him even though I didn't really know what he looked like. I liked him because we had really good conversations. After a couple weeks we met up at a party and it was incredibly awkward, he was nothing like he was online. When he was messaging he was so confident and chatty but in real life he was a completely different person. He was also a lot less attractive in real life but it was mostly his personality I was't a fan of. We bumped into each other several times after that and he was still the same, so it wasn't just that he was shy that one day.
Sometimes it works out for people but I think a lot of the time, people act very differently online and can kind of create whatever persona they want. So you can't really call it love just yet.
It's for people who are more personality centric and don't give too many ****s about initial physical attraction, I suppose.
Reply 25
That's exactly what I'm wondering 🤔. When i think of online dating , the first image in my head is the MTV catfish tv series . To sum that tv its reality vs expectations.
Reply 26
I knew a lad that was 'seeing' a girl for 3 years only to found out she was this bulldog-looking mess that lived round the corner from him. Hilarious for us but gutting for him.
I think you get an image in your mind who u think they and warp it towards what you want in a partner
In my case,i do know he exists.We met on facebook actually.N if u have been talking daily for five months,itz no wonder you get attached.N he can't sleep without hearing my voice before going to sleep,the same case with me tbh.According to me,i guess it's love...how wud u define love btw?
Original post by gjd800
I knew a lad that was 'seeing' a girl for 3 years only to found out she was this bulldog-looking mess that lived round the corner from him. Hilarious for us but gutting for him.

:lolwut: How did it take him 3 years? :rofl:
Original post by MusicmaestroBAR
hmm. It could be argued that you are talking about looks as your way of confirming that this person exists is through seeing them. Therefore, if you've developed a relationship with someone, does it really matter if they are/ or are not the person they claim to be? The internet is a mask anyway. Food for thought...

No I'm talking about how maybe the personalities don't match ip online and offline. If they are not who they claim to be, they aren't real. You're talking to someone who's pretending to be someone else then.

Original post by h333
That’s good to know masha’Allah. Yeah it does at times on here. Exactly, I agree sis.
Hahah perhaps I don’t really take some stuff on here seriously lol but trust it does happen- I’ve had many pms regarding this issue in the past lol.

I know it happens, I struggle with the how, lol. To me it's people being naive, it's different if they facetime etc or whatever they do, but I've had someone tell me they 'love' someone simply because they've been texting them enough, and 'what to do now' :lolwut: etc etc I am glad I haven't had many PMs like that, but if I do I'll ask them to pass it on to you :rofl:

Original post by Ninja Squirrel
Yeah pretty much, I think it would be impossible for me to fall in love with someone without first spending a significant amount of time with them in person. Becoming good friends with a girl or boy online is perfectly possible.

I can understand friendship at least.

He loves you

Original post by Anonymous
I don't think the question is to do with looks. I don't think you could really call someone you've never met in real life your best friend either.
If you facetime a lot then I think yeah fair enough you're close to knowing what the person is really like. But if you only message then you really have no idea.
A guy was messaging me for a couple weeks on facebook and I knew he was at my uni and I had real life mutual friends but he didn't have many recent pics. I started to develop some attraction to him even though I didn't really know what he looked like. I liked him because we had really good conversations. After a couple weeks we met up at a party and it was incredibly awkward, he was nothing like he was online. When he was messaging he was so confident and chatty but in real life he was a completely different person. He was also a lot less attractive in real life but it was mostly his personality I was't a fan of. We bumped into each other several times after that and he was still the same, so it wasn't just that he was shy that one day.
Sometimes it works out for people but I think a lot of the time, people act very differently online and can kind of create whatever persona they want. So you can't really call it love just yet.

Bit in bold, definitely

Original post by Retired_Messiah
It's for people who are more personality centric and don't give too many ****s about initial physical attraction, I suppose.

Then they have to see if they have physical attraction when they meet :lol:

Original post by samerf
That's exactly what I'm wondering 🤔. When i think of online dating , the first image in my head is the MTV catfish tv series . To sum that tv its reality vs expectations.

Thats how it prpbs is online, you'll have expectations etc then reality will hit.

Original post by gjd800

Not exactly seeing is it.

Original post by Dominoes
I think you get an image in your mind who u think they and warp it towards what you want in a partner

That makes sense. So when does the facade end...

Original post by Swiftie'
In my case,i do know he exists.We met on facebook actually.N if u have been talking daily for five months,itz no wonder you get attached.N he can't sleep without hearing my voice before going to sleep,the same case with me tbh.According to me,i guess it's love...how wud u define love btw?

I wasn't directing this at you, dw.
Facebook can still be faked, tbh. I can understand some sort of attachment etc if you talk ALL the time, but I still cannot understand it being love. I guess for love, if it's merely online you'd have to do a lot of facetiming, and phoning each other and even then I'd not call it love unless it matches irl.
I don't define love, I at least know it varies from person to person, couple to couple, whether I agree or not.

Original post by MrsMars

Probs only messaged, that sounds cat-fishy.
Reply 31
Original post by MrsMars

Wishful thinking/idiocy?
Reply 32
Hence the inverted commas.
Original post by gjd800

"bulldog" 😂 3 years man... You'd think the guy would ask to facetime or a photo at least.
Reply 34
"bulldog" 😂 3 years man... You'd think the guy would ask to facetime or a photo at least.

Yeah, suckered to the max. She was sending photos but of another girl - they spoke on the phone but never with video or whatever. I think it turned out later that it was her sister-in-law or something. Grim.
Original post by gjd800
Hence the inverted commas.

Was a statement really.

People use photos to cat fish.
Yeah I know but you could just ask them to for a photo holding something like a pen or whatever to prove it's actually them. I think people who get catfished are just desperate / gullible so they fall for it easily and don't think to question anything.
Yeah I know but you could just ask them to for a photo holding something like a pen or whatever to prove it's actually them. I think people who get catfished are just desperate / gullible so they fall for it easily and don't think to question anything

Ah ask for specifics, so it proves they're them.
Yeah agreed. Naive people who need love
Probably, or at least see if they look close enough to whatever photos of them you've seen. Double check they're actually the right gender and so on
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Probably, or at least see if they look close enough to whatever photos of them you've seen. Double check they're actually the right gender and so on

:toofunny:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending