The Student Room Group

Maths at Warwick

Has anyone else got problems with the Maths teaching at Warwick?
Original post by AphysouPam

What problems specifically?

You can bring them up to your Class Reps, the tutors, personal tutor or even the lecturer directly.

It depends on the module, I think the worst experience for me was 2nd year but this year (3rd) I have been pleasantly surprised. However it seems to be the case that across all of COWI that the lecturers are sub-par but then again, they are hired for their research not their teaching ability. If you have any specific questions about the Warwick courses and which lecturers have good/bad reps though let me know.
Reply 3
Original post by Jai Sandhu
It depends on the module, I think the worst experience for me was 2nd year but this year (3rd) I have been pleasantly surprised. However it seems to be the case that across all of COWI that the lecturers are sub-par but then again, they are hired for their research not their teaching ability. If you have any specific questions about the Warwick courses and which lecturers have good/bad reps though let me know.

No problem with specific teachers. Problem is that primary course teaching should be taught by professionals. The fees aren't for paying trainees. The extent of the use of graduates for teaching and setting exam papers should be relected in the national grading of the department. Warwick would then come off pretty poorly.
No problem with specific teachers. Problem is that primary course teaching should be taught by professionals. The fees aren't for paying trainees. The extent of the use of graduates for teaching and setting exam papers should be relected in the national grading of the department. Warwick would then come off pretty poorly.

I wasn't aware of graduates setting the exams, do you have any solid evidence of this? Also no graduate student actually lectures modules as far as I am aware, they run support classes as is the case with almost every other university in existence.

Quick Reply

Latest