The Student Room Group

QTS skills test 2018-please answer if you have done these tests!

Hi, I am frustrated about these skills tests because there are mixed views about the level of difficulty. Please tell me are they similar to the government ones online, and what should you be scoring on them to take the test? Some people say the actual exam is a lot harder than the government ones, and some say the actual exam is easier.

It is very confusing, and I don't know if I am ready. I'm getting 70s on the government ones as well as on QTS Maths Tutor website.

Any advice will be much appreciated.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I just did the government practice ones and got: literacy 81/72/76/78 and numeracy 60 (redid it) 85/82/82/82 and passed both of them first time when I went to do the real ones.
My only advice would be to practice, I would think if you got marks in the 70's on the real ones then that should be a pass (though I know it depends on the exact mix of questions you get which is why there is no fixed pass mark published). I found the actual tests very similar to the practice ones too so didnt struggle too much on the day.
I would also recommend you have a look at the booking site as there can be a waiting time to get booked on, you are allowed to change the booking (I think you have to do this 3 days before your due to take the tests) so it might be worth getting them booked in. If I was getting 70's on practices I would have given them a go.
I hope this helps and good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by lottie2017
Hi, I just did the government practice ones and got: literacy 81/72/76/78 and numeracy 60 (redid it) 85/82/82/82 and passed both of them first time when I went to do the real ones.
My only advice would be to practice, I would think if you got marks in the 70's on the real ones then that should be a pass (though I know it depends on the exact mix of questions you get which is why there is no fixed pass mark published). I found the actual tests very similar to the practice ones too so didnt struggle too much on the day.
I would also recommend you have a look at the booking site as there can be a waiting time to get booked on, you are allowed to change the booking (I think you have to do this 3 days before your due to take the tests) so it might be worth getting them booked in. If I was getting 70's on practices I would have given them a go.
I hope this helps and good luck!

Hi, I've booked in for numeracy next month. I got 71% last month, and I've done more revision since then so I'll try another test. How long did you revise for? A QTS tutor told me that the government ones are outdated. I don't know whether he said this so that I can purchase papers off him. Are the mental arithmetic questions similar to the government website ones? The pass mark is 63%.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Zonyali123
Hi, I've booked in for numeracy next month. I got 71% last month, and I've done more revision since then so I'll try another test. How long did you revise for? A QTS tutor told me that the government ones are outdated. I don't know whether he said this so that I can purchase papers off him. Are the mental arithmetic questions similar to the government website ones? The pass mark is 63%.

The questions were similar to the government ones - I dont think you'd need to purchase new books just practice :smile:

I did about a month of revision and just used online free resources without any problems.
Reply 4
Original post by lottie2017
The questions were similar to the government ones - I dont think you'd need to purchase new books just practice :smile:

I did about a month of revision and just used online free resources without any problems.

Do you think I've fine right by booking in for my test next month?
Do you think I've fine right by booking in for my test next month?

Yes I think thats fine - just practice in the meantime. :smile:
Hi, I am frustrated about these skills tests because there are mixed views about the level of difficulty. Please tell me are they similar to the government ones online, and what should you be scoring on them to take the test? Some people say the actual exam is a lot harder than the government ones, and some say the actual exam is easier.

It is very confusing, and I don't know if I am ready. I'm getting 70s on the government ones as well as on QTS Maths Tutor website.

You don't find out your scores for the actual tests, so it's hard to judge. I found a few elements easier (e.g. grammar on the literacy test) and most elements about the same. I was regularly scoring 85% on the practice tests and passed first time.

I'd assume the exam is about the same, but I'd want a 10% margin of error to allow for nerves etc.
Reply 7
Hello!
I did my literacy test last week and passed, highest I got was 72% on practise ones. I would say the grammar was the easiest part and the online tests are harder than the real ones! I have my numeracy one in a few weeks dreading it!
Reply 8
Original post by Amy6p
Hello!
I did my literacy test last week and passed, highest I got was 72% on practise ones. I would say the grammar was the easiest part and the online tests are harder than the real ones! I have my numeracy one in a few weeks dreading it!

Hi, I got 70% without any revision when I tried the literacy test, but it's the numeracy I was worried about, and after revision I'm now scoring over 70 in numeracy, but I'm still worried. What are you scoring in the numeracy tests? What resources are you using?
Reply 9
Hi, I got 70% without any revision when I tried the literacy test, but it's the numeracy I was worried about, and after revision I'm now scoring over 70 in numeracy, but I'm still worried. What are you scoring in the numeracy tests? What resources are you using?

Thats really good! I felt more confident with the literacy. I have just started revising the ways to work questions out and not done a full online test yet , I’ve paid £19.99 for a package from Ga numeracy as the reviews looked really good! YouTube also have good videos and I have the book from amazon to help too!
Original post by Amy6p
Thats really good! I felt more confident with the literacy. I have just started revising the ways to work questions out and not done a full online test yet , I’ve paid £19.99 for a package from Ga numeracy as the reviews looked really good! YouTube also have good videos and I have the book from amazon to help too!

That's good. Is your test this month?
Reply 11
That's good. Is your test this month?

Yeah in two weeks!
Original post by Amy6p
Yeah in two weeks!

Do you think you’re ready?

All you need an hour or so each evening and perseverance!

I highly recommend that you sign up to NumeracyReady (its only £20 for 20 tests!) and go through each one. Perfect each one and then move on to the next. It even has videos specifically made to help with the test. The videos actually show you some shortcuts and ways to remember calculations.

There are other services you can sign up to, like QTSMathsTutor, but I found that one to be really far off the real thing. NumeracyReady seemed very similar to what I took at the centre.

The book is also a good tool and could be used to supplement your study (bedtime reading!).

Above all, the official DfE tests are the best thing to revise/prepare with. Just keep taking them again and again until you are CONSISTENTLY gaining 80-90% in each. There are 4 tests there and they are the most accurate representation of the real test.

Like I've said, you just need a lot of patience and some perseverance. The tests can be passed but you just need to work out the best way of preparing. I did the above and glad to say I passed on second attempt
Original post by computed

I highly recommend that you sign up to NumeracyReady (its only £20 for 20 tests!) and go through each one. Perfect each one and then move on to the next. It even has videos specifically made to help with the test. The videos actually show you some shortcuts and ways to remember calculations.

There are other services you can sign up to, like QTSMathsTutor, but I found that one to be really far off the real thing. NumeracyReady seemed very similar to what I took at the centre.

The book is also a good tool and could be used to supplement your study (bedtime reading!).

Above all, the official DfE tests are the best thing to revise/prepare with. Just keep taking them again and again until you are CONSISTENTLY gaining 80-90% in each. There are 4 tests there and they are the most accurate representation of the real test.

Like I've said, you just need a lot of patience and some perseverance. The tests can be passed but you just need to work out the best way of preparing. I did the above and glad to say I passed on second attempt

I find that QTS Maths Tutor is a bit on the difficult side, but this helps you build confidence. I’m getting higher marks in the qts maths tutor tests than I was before. I scored 86% yesterday. I’m going to try a government test again to see how much I get. I find the government ones easier than qts maths tutor. What were you getting in the practice tests before your fists attempt which you failed?
Reply 15
Original post by computed

Thankyou! I have paid for the numeracy package! It is really good. I find maths so hard literacy was easier to revise than numeracy! I have my exam in two weeks and I am stressing!! YouTube helps for the tricks! I was thinking of moving my exam and I revising so much every night!!!
Reply 16

I passed today on my seccond attempt . I failed the first test by 1 mark. I think they are on a par with the government online ones. I signed up to G & A Numerical and I found the tests on that site harder.
Good Luck
Reply 17
Well done!!!
Reply 18
I'm super worried about the timed part of the numeracy tests, is 18 seconds enough time?!
Original post by tjmehhh
I'm super worried about the timed part of the numeracy tests, is 18 seconds enough time?!

Hi, I’ve passed my numeracy test now. Yes, it is enough time if you practice and learn all the short cut methods. I started to calculate the answer when the lady read the question out. Someone reads the question out twice, and then the 18 seconds start.

Quick Reply

Latest