The Student Room Group

How reliable is test.hiv?

Hey,

Gonna get a test done, I can't go to a clinic/GP due to my family :/.
Has anyone used test.hiv kit? I can't see it being mentioned anywhere on the NHS... So I was wondering how reliable it is?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Very reliable
Reply 2
Original post by HateOCR
Very reliable

Thank you! Will order one now!
Depending on where you are, you may be able to have a free postal one or there could be a one hour test available in a community setting - when I was living in London, the local sports centre had them.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Hey,

Gonna get a test done, I can't go to a clinic/GP due to my family :/.
Has anyone used test.hiv kit? I can't see it being mentioned anywhere on the NHS... So I was wondering how reliable it is?

Thanks!

Hi. Do you mind if I ask what it is that means you can't go to a clinic or anything? Obviously if you have contracted something you'll need to sort out what you need to do about that so you may need to see somebody anyway.

As far as the test.hiv kit goes, this is what their site says about the accuracy:
"The HIV test may not detect an infection that was contracted very recently.
The test highly accurate after 4 weeks, and almost 100% accurate after 8 weeks.
If you have had unprotected sex in the last 6-8 weeks, we recommend you test immediately and also complete a new test kit in 6 weeks to be sure of your status."
https://www.test.hiv/faqs#q9
Reply 5
Original post by Kindred
Hi. Do you mind if I ask what it is that means you can't go to a clinic or anything? Obviously if you have contracted something you'll need to sort out what you need to do about that so you may need to see somebody anyway.

As far as the test.hiv kit goes, this is what their site says about the accuracy:
"The HIV test may not detect an infection that was contracted very recently.
The test highly accurate after 4 weeks, and almost 100% accurate after 8 weeks.
If you have had unprotected sex in the last 6-8 weeks, we recommend you test immediately and also complete a new test kit in 6 weeks to be sure of your status."
https://www.test.hiv/faqs#q9

My family is religious and would be upset that I've had sex before marriage. I have a family friend who works in my local GP and he would tell my parents if he saw me there. It would be hard explaining why I went to the GP without telling them :/

If I have anything then I guess I would have no option but tell them. I'd rather not do that unless it comes to that, fingers crossed it doesn't.

Thanks! I've ordered it and I'll test me self soon!
Reply 6
My family is religious and would be upset that I've had sex before marriage. I have a family friend who works in my local GP and he would tell my parents if he saw me there. It would be hard explaining why I went to the GP without telling them :/

If I have anything then I guess I would have no option but tell them. I'd rather not do that unless it comes to that, fingers crossed it doesn't.

Ah. Well in that case you can always go to a sexual health clinic near you. There are strict confidentiality rules for medical things so they can't tell your parents about it. I get that if a family friend works as a receptionist or whatever they might say "oh hey I saw _ the other day" and that could put you in a tight spot, but you can always go somewhere they aren't.
Here's a link that explains confidentiality for young people:
https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Sexandyoungpeople/Pages/Willtheytellmyparents.aspx
Hopefully your test will come back clear and it won't be an issue though. :smile:
Reply 7

Should have just went to your local sexual health clinic. No one you know works there and it's completely anonymous if you want it to be. They usually ask you to register but don't ask for ID so can use false name and such

Quick Reply

Latest