The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE msc in public policy and administration

Any Msc public policy and administration applicants /offer holders?

I applied on Jan 17th, haven't heard back, but the availability recently changed to limited. Little worrying.
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Hello! Offer holder here. I applied back in early December and got my offer in late Jan. Any fellow offer holders out there? Best of luck!
Reply 3
Hello! I also apply the day they let know the applicants of the limited availability and haven't hear back. Guess it's too early. Best of luck Meeravai and congrats Oetrine!
Reply 4
Congratulations!!

If you dont mind could you tell me a bit about your grades and background.

Original post by Oetrine
Hello! Offer holder here. I applied back in early December and got my offer in late Jan. Any fellow offer holders out there? Best of luck!
Reply 5
Hi! Hoping for the best for both of us! Could you tell me a bit more about your grades and background.
Original post by MedLaw1
Hello! I also apply the day they let know the applicants of the limited availability and haven't hear back. Guess it's too early. Best of luck Meeravai and congrats Oetrine!
Reply 6
Thank you MedLaw1 and Meeravai! Best of luck to you both and hope to hear good news from you both!

I am likely on the older end of the age spectrum since many people go straight to masters after undergrad these days. I am from the US and graduated from college 8 years ago and have been working in the public sector since then. I went to a solid/ respectable US school (not an Ivy tho) and had decent grades (over 3.5 GPA). Maybe I am a little too conscious of my age but they probably looked at my work experience a little more than my grades since I've been out of school for a long while now. I am quite nervous about being back in the academic environment and in a different country at that, true be told.

How about you guys? Are you comfortable with sharing a little about yourselves?
Reply 7
Hi again Oetrine and Meeravai :-) Thank you for your wishes Meeravai, wish you the same! And what a great path Oetrine, I am convinced that you will do it very well! I am confortable to share same information about me. In a few words : last-year law student with a strong extra academic civic engagement. I applied to this programme for their quantitative oriented courses while offering a practical way to teach them. And in regards of the grades, we do not have the same system here in continental Europe. So it could not really help to assess my application ;-) I think that we need a bit of luck, and.. pray for the best in the next days/weeks. Keep me posted! And Oetrine, as far as I know, lots of people taking this master have already worked before, you should not be the little one then (or the older one). Best wishes.
Reply 8
Oetrine, we are more similar than you think :smile: I completed my undergraduate degree 6 years ago and have been working in the public sector since then as well. Went to a goodish school, studied urban design, and graduated with a first class.

My biggest concern was that they would place academics over work ex because LSE is known to rank academics highly. My studies weren't at all related to policy. My work experience is though.

Like MedLaw said, need a bit of luck at this point :smile: I'll keep you posted. You too please! Good luck!
Reply 9
Woah, thanks for sharing about yourselves, you guys! :smile: It's awesome how the program is attracting people with different academic interests/ backgrounds! I am sending good vibes to you both and I look forward to hearing good news from you guys! I looked at the program availability page again and it looks like it's no longer accepting new applications, glad that you both caught and got on the train!! :smile: Good vibes to you both and good luck!!! :smile:
Hello! Offer holder here and will 90% most likely be attending. I applied in early November and got my conditional offer in mid-December. I am graduating from across the road, currently finishing my programme at KCL. I am the inverse of Oetrine, I am nervous but not because I haven't been in uni for a while but because I am fresh out of undergrad and did not work for a few years, am scared for public policy that's a disadvantage! I just felt if I went straight into work with an IR degree I would be wanting for more public policy grounding. I spent previous two summers in public policy internships back in the US but I feel its not enough to truly prepare me for the working world.

Looking forward to meeting everyone. Since I've been here for 3 years, feel free to ask me any questions about London life!
Reply 11
Original post by RoulderBidge
Hello! Offer holder here and will 90% most likely be attending. I applied in early November and got my conditional offer in mid-December. I am graduating from across the road, currently finishing my programme at KCL. I am the inverse of Oetrine, I am nervous but not because I haven't been in uni for a while but because I am fresh out of undergrad and did not work for a few years, am scared for public policy that's a disadvantage! I just felt if I went straight into work with an IR degree I would be wanting for more public policy grounding. I spent previous two summers in public policy internships back in the US but I feel its not enough to truly prepare me for the working world.

Looking forward to meeting everyone. Since I've been here for 3 years, feel free to ask me any questions about London life!

Thanks so much, RoulderBidge! I saw from the other thread that you're a fellow American. It's so cool that you're doing your undergrad in the UK instead of in the US, what a great choice! I am sure you'll do great and have a lot to offer since you've done public policy internship back in the US. I've been working in the public sector (public higher education specifically) but it doesn't feel like what I've been doing is too intimately related to public policy... administration in a public institution yes, but not sure about the policy piece... let's see where this program takes us a year or two from now! :smile:
Reply 12
Any updates, MedLaw?

3 more days to the 8 week deadline, for me. I'm surprised they are taking this long after closing applications!
Got my Oxford rejection but alas it means I will for sure be taking up the LSE offer! See you all in September :smile:
Reply 14
Good job for aiming high and applying!

I was interested in Oxford's public policy program as well. I peeked at a few places: Oxford, Berkeley, Harvard Kennedy but it seems like they have a lot of candidates/ students at executive career level, so it looks like LSE is the right place for now :smile:

Original post by RoulderBidge
Got my Oxford rejection but alas it means I will for sure be taking up the LSE offer! See you all in September :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending