The Student Room Group

Im not at the university I want to be

Hi, just looking for some advice on my situation at the minute. I gained bad a levels last year CCDD and have gone to uni but not a good one it’s Aberystwyth to study English literature, I’m in my second semester and I want to transfer but I’m afraid no one will accept me. I want to study law at Manchester uni and I don’t know how to go about trying to get that? Is it worth finishing my degree and getting a second one in law but not sure if I can get student finance loan for that? Or should I drop out now and re do fast track a level try and get better results and apply to uni or should I finish my first year get a 2:1 which is what I’m expected to get and then apply for transfer and go through UCAS, will the unis accept that? I’m confused and just don’t want to be at a rubbish uni when I can just try harder and get into a better one, how do I do that?
Reply 1
Original post by Banana_224
Hi, just looking for some advice on my situation at the minute. I gained bad a levels last year CCDD and have gone to uni but not a good one it’s Aberystwyth to study English literature, I’m in my second semester and I want to transfer but I’m afraid no one will accept me. I want to study law at Manchester uni and I don’t know how to go about trying to get that? Is it worth finishing my degree and getting a second one in law but not sure if I can get student finance loan for that? Or should I drop out now and re do fast track a level try and get better results and apply to uni or should I finish my first year get a 2:1 which is what I’m expected to get and then apply for transfer and go through UCAS, will the unis accept that? I’m confused and just don’t want to be at a rubbish uni when I can just try harder and get into a better one, how do I do that?

Contact Manchester (and any other universities) and ask them first. If you are on target for a 2:1 they may well accept you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
PS. I've moved your post to the Applications forum.

And have a look at this stickied thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424
University Transfer FAQ

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

I don't think you'd get SF to do both so it's probably worth leaving if you don't want to be there.

Law is super competitive so it might be easier to transfer onto a different course. Also, I'm currently finishing my LPC and applying for jobs in law - I can't over-stress the importance of flawless module grades on your undergraduate course. I really think the best thing to do is to do the course you would find easiest/has the most reliably high module grades and then applying for a training contract in your final year to fund your GDL. Undergraduate law is pretty hard and there's no advantage to doing it as an undergrad vs. doing the GDL later, so unless you're super interested in law from an academic perspective, it might not be worth your while. I would also add that most firms or chambers would expect a very convincing reason for your A-level grades - many require AAB as a minimum. I'm not sure how they would view a successful retake of your A-levels, but it's definitely something to consider now, as it would be incredibly stressful to complete such a demanding degree only to be unable to find a job in the profession.

I was in your position last year. I was at Keele uni and really disliked it there. I wanted to transfer to another university as soon as I got to Keele. Unfortunately, Manchester university will want the original a level requirements for you to transfer. I think they are AAB for law? I did all my research when I was in the process to transfer. Top universities will not even consider you unless you have the original A level requirements even if you got a 2.1 + in first year. I had extreme extenuating circumstances and transferred from Keele to Liverpool with BCCC. I had to do first year again which I currently am in. And I also got a high 2.1 from keele therefore they let me transfer over. Best thing for you to do is to maybe re do your a levels. Student finance gives you a gift year on top of however long your degree is. The gift year is there in place if you change unis, fail a year etc.. I was also considered for Reading University and Surrey university. I spoke to kings college, Manchester, Sheffield, Swasnea and they flat out rejected me. Even with extenuating circumstances.
Original post by NKSSSSS09
I was in your position last year. I was at Keele uni and really disliked it there. I wanted to transfer to another university as soon as I got to Keele. Unfortunately, Manchester university will want the original a level requirements for you to transfer. I think they are AAB for law? I did all my research when I was in the process to transfer. Top universities will not even consider you unless you have the original A level requirements even if you got a 2.1 + in first year. I had extreme extenuating circumstances and transferred from Keele to Liverpool with BCCC. I had to do first year again which I currently am in. And I also got a high 2.1 from keele therefore they let me transfer over. Best thing for you to do is to maybe re do your a levels. Student finance gives you a gift year on top of however long your degree is. The gift year is there in place if you change unis, fail a year etc.. I was also considered for Reading University and Surrey university. I spoke to kings college, Manchester, Sheffield, Swasnea and they flat out rejected me. Even with extenuating circumstances.

I find it hard to believe Swansea rejected you.. there are people there with far worse grades.

Did the same as the above: Swans -> Exeter.

Originally missed my conditions for Warwick/Bris and ended up at Swansea through clearing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
I find it hard to believe Swansea rejected you.. there are people there with far worse grades.

Did the same as the above: Swans -> Exeter.

Originally missed my conditions for Warwick/Bris and ended up at Swansea through clearing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly they did!! Here is the rejection email I got lol. swansea.jpg
Are you enjoying Exeter ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending