The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan in the second year...

Hello all,

I'm looking to move into an accommodation with my friends in the second year of Uni. The first year, I didn't take out a maintenance loan however for this year I'm pretty much going to need it.

So, I started my course in September 2017. When looking into calculating how much I would get for the maintenance loan, there is a question saying:

- When does your course start?

The options are:

1) 2017 to 2018

or

2) 2018 to 2019

Do I choose the year of my first year (Which is 2017) or the year of my second year (2018)?

Thanks for any help in advance,

Jack
Original post by Teethpaste
Hello all,

I'm looking to move into an accommodation with my friends in the second year of Uni. The first year, I didn't take out a maintenance loan however for this year I'm pretty much going to need it.

So, I started my course in September 2017. When looking into calculating how much I would get for the maintenance loan, there is a question saying:

- When does your course start?

The options are:

1) 2017 to 2018

or

2) 2018 to 2019

Do I choose the year of my first year (Which is 2017) or the year of my second year (2018)?

Thanks for any help in advance,

Jack

Your course started in 2017 to 2018

You can still apply for a loan for the current year as well as for next year. If you’re moving into private accommodation then you’ll normally need to find a deposit and some rent up front and might need to pay for the summer too. If you don’t have the money to cover those costs then I would recommend applying for your living at home loan for the 17/18 academic year first. You can also apply for 18/19 but that won’t be paid to you until after your course starts up again in the autumn which might be too late for deposits/etc.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Your course started in 2017 to 2018

You can still apply for a loan for the current year as well as for next year. If you’re moving into private accommodation then you’ll normally need to find a deposit and some rent up front and might need to pay for the summer too. If you don’t have the money to cover those costs then I would recommend applying for your living at home loan for the 17/18 academic year first. You can also apply for 18/19 but that won’t be paid to you until after your course starts up again in the autumn which might be too late for deposits/etc.

Okay, thanks for the quick reply. I think I am going to apply for a maintenance loan now as well then, when doing it though it shows me three forms:

1) Maintenance Loan Request form

2) Applying for Student Finance Based on your Household Income form

3) Assessment of Financial Circumstances form (PFF2)

So, you definitely have to do 1 & 2 I'm assuming. Do you HAVE to do 3 as well?

Regards,

Jack
Original post by Teethpaste
Okay, thanks for the quick reply. I think I am going to apply for a maintenance loan now as well then, when doing it though it shows me three forms:

1) Maintenance Loan Request form

2) Applying for Student Finance Based on your Household Income form

3) Assessment of Financial Circumstances form (PFF2)

So, you definitely have to do 1 & 2 I'm assuming. Do you HAVE to do 3 as well?

Regards,

Jack

1 and 2 you do
3 your parents would fill out (and you would have to do 2 and 3 if you want to apply for the income assessed part of the maintenance loan)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending