The Student Room Group

Severity of speeding offence

I was doing around 90mph down the motorway to work as I was late, the motorway is a variable speed motorway and at the time the signs were showing 60. I was inevitably flashed by a camera and I am now expected an NIP to come through the door. I wanted to know the severity of my punishment and whether I can avoid a ban altogether as I need to drive for my job! I have a clean licence and I have been driving for more than 2 years now.
Reply 1
Original post by Rmtb96
I was doing around 90mph down the motorway to work as I was late, the motorway is a variable speed motorway and at the time the signs were showing 60. I was inevitably flashed by a camera and I am now expected an NIP to come through the door. I wanted to know the severity of my punishment and whether I can avoid a ban altogether as I need to drive for my job! I have a clean licence and I have been driving for more than 2 years now.

Depends whether you get a fixed penalty, or a court summons.

What were conditions like? What time of day? How much traffic? Why was the 60 sign active - usually this is because of either roadworks or high traffic volume. You say you were doing 90 - was this an indicated speed?

You're on the borderline for Band B/C here, but assuming normal tolerances, I'd say you'd land in Band B. A short disqualification, or 4-6 points, along with a hefty fine.

Again, though, it all depends what comes through in the post. My question is, why were you doing 90 in a 60?
Reply 2
It was around 5:50am and I had to be in work for 6am so I was running late so therefore I felt I had to put my foot down (which I don’t normally do).The conditions were fine, wasn’t wet, foggy or anything, it was all clear and traffic was very quiet at that time of morning. I always see other drivers tank it down the same road and I never see them get flashed so I thought it was alright for me to do the same as I was in a hurry. I’m pretty sure 90 was my speed, I only glanced at my Speedo shortly after the flash but I didn’t click on to what the flash was right away as I was so concerned about getting into work on time. I also wasn’t sure why the variable speed was on, there were no roadworks and not a lot of traffic? It’s not usually on at that time of morning.
Original post by Rmtb96
It was around 5:50am and I had to be in work for 6am so I was running late so therefore I felt I had to put my foot down (which I don’t normally do).The conditions were fine, wasn’t wet, foggy or anything, it was all clear and traffic was very quiet at that time of morning. I always see other drivers tank it down the same road and I never see them get flashed so I thought it was alright for me to do the same as I was in a hurry. I’m pretty sure 90 was my speed, I only glanced at my Speedo shortly after the flash but I didn’t click on to what the flash was right away as I was so concerned about getting into work on time. I also wasn’t sure why the variable speed was on, there were no roadworks and not a lot of traffic? It’s not usually on at that time of morning.

Probably looking at a fine and 4-6 points, potentially a 54 day ban. Speedos overread so if it said 90 you were probably doing just over 80. I can be late for work 20 shifts in a row and still be fine, I might get asked to come in for a meeting but I'd never get sacked or put through a process for it - so I simply decided it isn't worth it, better off chilling out and being late.
Reply 4
Original post by Rmtb96
I always see other drivers tank it down the same road and I never see them get flashed so I thought it was alright for me to do the same as I was in a hurry.

If all the other drivers on the road drove off a cliff, would you join them?
Reply 5
Right I see and is that true? That speedos overread the actual speed? I never knew that. And yeah I’ve never been late so Im just the type of person that doesn’t want to find out what happens if I am late! But I’ve definitively had a scare here and have learnt my lesson, chill driving is the best way forward! I just hope that now I can avoid a ban somehow because I need to drive! And I see your point, no I wouldn’t drive off a cliff if everyone else did, I was stupid to assume this.
Reply 6
Original post by Rmtb96
Right I see and is that true? That speedos overread the actual speed? I never knew that. And yeah I’ve never been late so Im just the type of person that doesn’t want to find out what happens if I am late! But I’ve definitively had a scare here and have learnt my lesson, chill driving is the best way forward! I just hope that now I can avoid a ban somehow because I need to drive! And I see your point, no I wouldn’t drive off a cliff if everyone else did, I was stupid to assume this.

Yes, speedos general overread by a couple of mph - nevertheless, you're still way over the limit.
Reply 7
Oh right I see, yeah I am still way over the limit and also the speed camera might round up my speed anyway so essentially I’m still done for.
Reply 8
Original post by Rmtb96
Oh right I see, yeah I am still way over the limit and also the speed camera might round up my speed anyway so essentially I’m still done for.

The camera WILL NOT round up your speed. If your speedo was displaying 90, expect around 85 to be on the NIP.
Reply 9
Ah okay I see, you’ve been very helpful, thank you for all your advice!
Original post by Rmtb96
Ah okay I see, you’ve been very helpful, thank you for all your advice!

I know this thread is 3 years old, but what ended up happening? I'm worried aswell because something similar happened to me last night.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending