The Student Room Group

How much to spend on first car?

I'm 17 years old about to turn 18.
I work full time (apprenticeship) so the money is decent not that great.

I'm paying for driving lessons at £24 p/h and I'm a beginner, therefore, I will need a couple of lessons.

I will be paying for insurance, MOT, Road tax and all of that stuff by myself.

On top of that, I will be paying for the car myself.

I want a decent car but I don't want to be spending too much.

So what should my budget be for a first car?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I got my first car for about 700, it was a 1.2 fiesta, and had it about 2 years before I decided to get a new one and by that time I was able to get a better car while paying much less insurance. My brother had it after me and it lasted about another 3 years before giving up the ghost so not a bad investment id say.

Id say get something cheap and not too flashy to start with which is cheap to insure and then once you've got some no claims going get a better one. I wouldn't spend more than 1k on a first car, my second was only 1.35k and it's been going great for about 3 years now and its a tidy wee motor.
Original post by TomW624
I got my first car for about 700, it was a 1.2 fiesta, and had it about 2 years before I decided to get a new one and by that time I was able to get a better car while paying much less insurance. My brother had it after me and it lasted about another 3 years before giving up the ghost so not a bad investment id say.

Id says get something cheap and not too flashy to start with which is cheap to insure and then once you've got some no claims going get a better one. I wouldn't spend more than 1k on a first car, my second was only 1.35k and it's been going great for about 3 years now and its a tidy wee motor.

People say if you spend less than 2K on a car it'll most likely be properly damaged or something is going on with it?
However, you are telling me different which is good news...
How much was the mileage and how old was the car?(Year)
Reply 3
Original post by marwakhalid
People say if you spend less than 2K on a car it'll most likely be properly damaged or something is going on with it?

Can't quite remember the mileage but it was an 04
Indeed watch out for used cars. Find someone who knows a lot about cars to judge whether the car's alright. You may be lucky but you could also get scammed. Just make an informed decision and you'll be fine.
How much do you have?
Original post by dutchstudent123
Indeed watch out for used cars. Find someone who knows a lot about cars to judge whether the car's alright. You may be lucky but you could also get scammed. Just make an informed decision and you'll be fine.

That is true, and that is the scary part. I do not want to get scammed...
I tell myself to get a brand new car on finance but that would be half of my salary gone :/

But I don't want to be spending money to fix a broken down car...
Original post by Student-95
How much do you have?

about £4000, & get paid £1000 each month
Reply 8

With that you should be able to get a decent second hand car from a reputable dealer. Unlike me who got mine on gumtree. I agree with what other people say used cars can be luck of the draw luckily at the time i got mine my dad checked it over, put his own fault detector on it and what not, also had my best friend who's a mechanic give it the once over to be sure.

As i say above go to a reputable dealership and look at their second hand cars because you can find some real gems with low mileage and few previous owners. Also make sure you get all the MOT documentation and stuff, if they cant give it to you be extremely wary.
Original post by TomW624
With that you should be able to get a decent second hand car from a reputable dealer. Unlike me who got mine on gumtree. I agree with what other people say used cars can be luck of the draw luckily at the time i got mine my dad checked it over, put his own fault detector on it and what not, also had my best friend who's a mechanic give it the once over to be sure.

As i say above go to a reputable dealership and look at their second hand cars because you can find some real gems with low mileage and few previous owners. Also make sure you get all the MOT documentation and stuff, if they cant give it to you be extremely wary.

Hmm, okay.
I trust Gumtree to much, but I should go to a dealer just because its more reliable. I will make sure to get all the MOT documentation and that... I do notice some people don't give it.
I don't want to go through that hassle.
Hmm, okay.
I trust Gumtree to much, but I should go to a dealer just because its more reliable. I will make sure to get all the MOT documentation and that... I do notice some people don't give it.

Like i say i used gumtree and it worked out for me but i can be dodgy. But if you want that extra security go for a dealer, they will do used ones on finance which will obviously be a lot less a month than a brand new one.

Moved to cars and motoring.

Does that £4k include your insurance and tax? Or are you budgeting separately for that?
Original post by Tiger Rag
Moved to cars and motoring.

Does that £4k include your insurance and tax? Or are you budgeting separately for that?

4K only for car, but my question is shall I spend that all on a first car?
Original post by TomW624
Like i say i used gumtree and it worked out for me but i can be dodgy. But if you want that extra security go for a dealer, they will do used ones on finance which will obviously be a lot less a month than a brand new one.

That is true, I will take what you said on board!
Thank you :smile:
That is true, I will take what you said on board!
Thank you :smile:

No problem :smile:
Reply 15
I'm 17 years old about to turn 18.
I work full time (apprenticeship) so the money is decent not that great.

I'm paying for driving lessons at £24 p/h and I'm a beginner, therefore, I will need a couple of lessons.

I will be paying for insurance, MOT, Road tax and all of that stuff by myself.

On top of that, I will be paying for the car myself.

I want a decent car but I don't want to be spending too much.

So what should my budget be for a first car?

The biggest issue you will have will likely be the cost of insurance. That £4000 will likely cover the car and insurance for the first year. Find yourself a £500-1000 run around and take the hit on the insurance, then go from there. Buy something sensible, it's your first car, no need to be silly with it.
4K only for car, but my question is shall I spend that all on a first car?

You can get quite a decent first car with that sort of budget. Have you had any ideas on what car you'd like to get?

Cheaper cars can be just as good, as long as they have been looked after.
You might end up getting the odd slight scratch etc in your first couple of years after passing, so you dont want to have something too expensive.
My first couple of cars were both cheaper cars.
Once you have a couple of years no claims behind you and your insurance is going down nicely, then you can look into getting something better.
I would definitely spend less than £2000 on your first car.
£1,000
also buy a wrench and teach yourself some mechanics
Hmm, okay.

Also, I'd never get a car of Gumtree. That's just my opinion, but I don't trust any one else but a dealer when buying a car.

Quick Reply

Latest