The Student Room Group

I don’t think i can make it through my a levels

Hi!

I’m a bit stuck right now, so i’m coming here as a kind of last resort.

I’m a bright kid (in the most modest way possible), it did well on my GCSEs and have a lot to live up to i suppose. I’m now a year 12 (have been for 6 months) and it’s literal hell.

Don’t get me wrong they atmosphere and general jist of college is so much better than secondary school. however alevels are the worst. I’ve struggled with mental illness **** since i was 12 and i’ve noticed that i really can’t handle my alevels. I go through really bad periods of depression and my social anxiety can get super bad in class. This makes it very difficult to ask for help and do work, i often space out (because of other stuff with my mental health and stuff) in lesson which makes it had to retain information. I’m not doing horrendously or anything, igbo getting Us on papers every now and then but my art grade is carrying me and i can push a B on assessments in science sometimes.

I’m left feeling extremely unmotivated and drained, i’ve been passing out im that tired, i have no time to do anything i enjoy and i’m honestly left not caring about where i end up in life.

My goal is to go to uni and has been for years, i want to get through these 2 years and move onto that stage of my life but it’s so difficult. I’ve had help for my mental health (CAMHS and the college counsellor) but eventually all the services ran dry and i had to be discharged. I have a progress tutor and she said she’ll be speaking to my teachers for even more extra help and about my anxiety but still no ones come forward.

There always seems to be something wrong, i **** up in every lesson and make stupid mistakes, i feel so unlike myself and get so stressed out over nothing.

This is vey vent-y and stuff but i’m just stuck, absolutely and completely lost. I want to achieve and i don’t want to give up but i’m starting to feel as if it’s all pointless and there’s no escape, all i see is failure.

If anyone can give me any advice on how to cope with stress, manage time and get homework and work done when you’d rather just curl up into a ball and do nothing i would very much appreciate that.

Thank you in advance.

(can you tell i wrote this in the middle of doing some chemistry homework haha)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by miffyfollows
Hi!

I’m a bright kid (in the most modest way possible), it did well on my GCSEs and have a lot to live up to i suppose. I’m now a year 12 (have been for 6 months) and it’s literal hell.

Don’t get me wrong they atmosphere and general jist of college is so much better than secondary school. however alevels are the worst. I’ve struggled with mental illness **** since i was 12 and i’ve noticed that i really can’t handle my alevels. I go through really bad periods of depression and my social anxiety can get super bad in class. This makes it very difficult to ask for help and do work, i often space out (because of other stuff with my mental health and stuff) in lesson which makes it had to retain information. I’m not doing horrendously or anything, igbo getting Us on papers every now and then but my art grade is carrying me and i can push a B on assessments in science sometimes.

I’m left feeling extremely unmotivated and drained, i’ve been passing out im that tired, i have no time to do anything i enjoy and i’m honestly left not caring about where i end up in life.

My goal is to go to uni and has been for years, i want to get through these 2 years and move onto that stage of my life but it’s so difficult. I’ve had help for my mental health (CAMHS and the college counsellor) but eventually all the services ran dry and i had to be discharged. I have a progress tutor and she said she’ll be speaking to my teachers for even more extra help and about my anxiety but still no ones come forward.

There always seems to be something wrong, i **** up in every lesson and make stupid mistakes, i feel so unlike myself and get so stressed out over nothing.

This is vey vent-y and stuff but i’m just stuck, absolutely and completely lost. I want to achieve and i don’t want to give up but i’m starting to feel as if it’s all pointless and there’s no escape, all i see is failure.

If anyone can give me any advice on how to cope with stress, manage time and get homework and work done when you’d rather just curl up into a ball and do nothing i would very much appreciate that.

Thank you in advance.

What is it you want to do at uni? Do you definitely need A Levels for it or is there a different route? I think it’s about weighing up how much you want it and if it’s worth it. If you go to your GP they might be able to refer you for CBT etc (although you need to be 18 for CBT iirc) but there are other services :smile:

Take everything a step at a time and only do what you can or else you’ll burn out. Try and have routine and timetables for work but allow yourself to be flexible if you need.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi!

Thank you in advance.

Honestly A levels can be really hard and on top of metal health issues its even worse.

it can be really hard to motivate yourself.
in order to motivate myself i write down my goals for the day as i feel this is more attainable than setting long term goals.

im also in my second year and have mocks this coming week!

it sounds stupid to say but just take every moment as it comes and its ok to feel S**T sometimes. it will eventually feel slightly better.
just hold onto your aspirations and know you are capable of getting there. xxx
Original post by BurstingBubbles
What is it you want to do at uni? Do you definitely need A Levels for it or is there a different route? I think it’s about weighing up how much you want it and if it’s worth it. If you go to your GP they might be able to refer you for CBT etc (although you need to be 18 for CBT iirc) but there are other services :smile:

Take everything a step at a time and only do what you can or else you’ll burn out. Try and have routine and timetables for work but allow yourself to be flexible if you need.

thank you!

i want to do forensic science in uni so it’s kind of important i do my alevels, i’ve seen a few apprenticeships but none locally

as for seeing a GP and CBT, i’ve had CBT in the past and found it wasnt really for me but i do intend on going back to the GP to see any alternatives

again, thanks! :smile:
Original post by cchick3
Honestly A levels can be really hard and on top of metal health issues its even worse.

it can be really hard to motivate yourself.
in order to motivate myself i write down my goals for the day as i feel this is more attainable than setting long term goals.

im also in my second year and have mocks this coming week!

it sounds stupid to say but just take every moment as it comes and its ok to feel S**T sometimes. it will eventually feel slightly better.
just hold onto your aspirations and know you are capable of getting there. xxx

thank you so much! good luck on your mocks btw! xx
Reply 5
thank you so much! good luck on your mocks btw! xx

youre welcome hope it helps even just a little

and thank you xxx
Reply 6
Hi!

Thank you in advance.

Hi there, I'm in year 13 now and year 12 proved just as difficult for me too, around this point of year 12 I also felt like quitting everyday. I was diagnosed with anxiety and it seemed to get worse but I told myself everyday exams were right around the corner I've came this far so why not just see how AS exams go and I'll take it from there. Now I'm in year 13, things are still tough AS went fine but the one thing motivating me is my offer for medicine. This is, unfortunately, gonna be one of the toughest times of your life but believe me the rewarding feeling you'll get is worth it. But please talk to people, talk to your loved ones, your friends, your teachers and support workers at sixth form. You've made the first step talking to us but alert the people in your everyday life too it will help trust me :smile:.

I believe in you, good luck

P.S don't worry about making stupid mistakes in lesson you're studying A levels they're tough and you have about 5 billions things going through your head at once and on top of this issues with your mental health. We're all human and we all make mistakes.
Reply 7
How did your GCSEs go?
What your feeling is temporary. Past few months I was demotivated after getting rejected from Oxford (I started caring about my school work less,lowered self esteem, sleeping more etc). Looking back at it now, it was all over nothing, and I put myself together because life is all about getting back up and pushing more and more after you get knocked down.

Good luck
Always have a back-up plan. Apprenticeship?
I’m sort of on the same boat right now 😞 I lost my mum last year and was left with my siblings and mental health can really get on top of me sometimes- I study a level chemistry biology and history and I am a smart kid but there will always be people smarter. I really want to study veterinary surgery at a good uni but revision can really be draining and people underestimate the stress of studying a levels. I have little motivation all the time and always question what is the point?? My mum was always proud of me for being so smart and giving up so easily is the opposite of what she wanted. I have no idea how to cope with anything, and hopefully will see some answers on this thread !
Original post by Gingeyy
Hi there, I'm in year 13 now and year 12 proved just as difficult for me too, around this point of year 12 I also felt like quitting everyday. I was diagnosed with anxiety and it seemed to get worse but I told myself everyday exams were right around the corner I've came this far so why not just see how AS exams go and I'll take it from there. Now I'm in year 13, things are still tough AS went fine but the one thing motivating me is my offer for medicine. This is, unfortunately, gonna be one of the toughest times of your life but believe me the rewarding feeling you'll get is worth it. But please talk to people, talk to your loved ones, your friends, your teachers and support workers at sixth form. You've made the first step talking to us but alert the people in your everyday life too it will help trust me :smile:.

I believe in you, good luck

P.S don't worry about making stupid mistakes in lesson you're studying A levels they're tough and you have about 5 billions things going through your head at once and on top of this issues with your mental health. We're all human and we all make mistakes.

thank you so much, this was really comforting to read, i really appreciate it :smile: i think i’m going to speak to a few of my teachers and tutor for extra support, again thanks and congrats with your offer for medicine!
Original post by Sophiexlouise
I’m sort of on the same boat right now 😞 I lost my mum last year and was left with my siblings and mental health can really get on top of me sometimes- I study a level chemistry biology and history and I am a smart kid but there will always be people smarter. I really want to study veterinary surgery at a good uni but revision can really be draining and people underestimate the stress of studying a levels. I have little motivation all the time and always question what is the point?? My mum was always proud of me for being so smart and giving up so easily is the opposite of what she wanted. I have no idea how to cope with anything, and hopefully will see some answers on this thread !

i’m so sorry to hear about your mum and your struggling, please know you’re not alone and you can make it through this, after reading some of the replies on here i’ve come to realise that, hopefully this thread will prove to be useful for you, best of luck to you <3
I can't be much help, and I really hope stuff improves for you. But regarding the grades, have you checked what grade boundaries your teachers are using on tests? Especially with the sciences they're often a lot lower on the actual tests than what is used in class (i.e. sometimes as low as 60% for an A instead of 80%), I went through AS bio getting like Cs and Bs all year because my teacher marked like that, but got an A in the exam with the same knowledge. Don't count on it, but it's just something you might be able to check? Also, chemistry is ****ing hard! So good luck!
Re. managing time, remember to prioritise the stuff that will actually go towards your AS (if you're doing AS that is), so any art coursework over a chem in class test. Also, make sure you have some breaks - i know, not exactly groundbreaking, but you'd be amazed what a ten minute dog walk can do for productivity etc - and, if you're not doing actual AS exams remember that you're working to a two year deadline not that little test week. Don't care about every little thing that doesn't count, especially if it's going to screw with your mental health.
Best of luck
Original post by Traore
How did your GCSEs go?

sorry for the late reply! good i’d say, i got As and 8s in year 11, i know they’re there for a back up and stuff
i’ve looked into it in the past, i’ve always wanted to go to uni but i’d push comes to shove there’s always that i can go to, it’s just there’s no local apprenticeship that are any good (i live in the middle of no where lol), so many once i’m 18 it’s a good idea idk
Original post by Terriel
I can't be much help, and I really hope stuff improves for you. But regarding the grades, have you checked what grade boundaries your teachers are using on tests? Especially with the sciences they're often a lot lower on the actual tests than what is used in class (i.e. sometimes as low as 60% for an A instead of 80%), I went through AS bio getting like Cs and Bs all year because my teacher marked like that, but got an A in the exam with the same knowledge. Don't count on it, but it's just something you might be able to check? Also, chemistry is ****ing hard! So good luck!
Re. managing time, remember to prioritise the stuff that will actually go towards your AS (if you're doing AS that is), so any art coursework over a chem in class test. Also, make sure you have some breaks - i know, not exactly groundbreaking, but you'd be amazed what a ten minute dog walk can do for productivity etc - and, if you're not doing actual AS exams remember that you're working to a two year deadline not that little test week. Don't care about every little thing that doesn't count, especially if it's going to screw with your mental health.
Best of luck

thank you so much! this was very reassuring to read haha, i’m going to have a word with my teachers and parents about it all and wrap my head around, try and get a bettter grasp on my opinions, ya know? but thanks this helped a lot :smile:
Hi!

Don’t get me wrong they atmosphere and general jist of college is so much better than secondary school. however alevels are the worst. I’ve struggled with mental illness **** since i was 12 and i’ve noticed that i really can’t handle my alevels. I go through really bad periods of depression and my social anxiety can get super bad in class. This makes it very difficult to ask for help and do work, i often space out (because of other stuff with my mental health nd stuff) in lesson which makes it had to retain information. I’m not doing horrendously or anything, igbo getting Us on papers every now and then but my art grade is carrying me and i can push a B on assessments in science sometimes.

Thank you in advance.

I had the same problems at age 14. I made choices that made me a public failure. I too used to go to CAHMS and had CBT. From this I found CBT helpful, but not straight away.

CBT teaches you to deal with your own problems, by questioning your thoughts and recognise when you are catastrophizing which I did frequently, asking people for reassurance publicly, where people didn't care. Because they shouldn't. Everyone struggles, if you read Sophiexlouise's post you'll see that pain is relative. I might sound a little blunt here, but don't be offended; I realised this after so many experiences. I used to have several accounts on TSR where I posted these types of threads, and nobody replied. I found out that it's not all about me, and once you realise that, you'll be surprised how happy you become. It's easy to give up and mope around, but difficult to rise up to the challenge and question your thoughts. My counsellor used to tell me to think of the half-empty/half full analogy:

Spoiler

To an extent, we choose to be miserable or happy.
"We are as happy as we make up our minds to be".

Also, the tiredness and stress you're experiencing might be due to your lifestyle. Invest in your physical health by exercising and eating well and your mental health by being mindful. Remember, the past and the future don't exist. Only the present does. Focussing on now means that your fear of the future or your past embarrassments are irrelevant; they literally don't exist!

I would like to apologise if what I'm saying sounds repetitive, and boring but it's quite true. The best advice I can give is to keep going, if you finding it hard to see immediate results (i.e. from counselling or living healthy).

As for motivation, there are tonnes of videos on youtube that give make you want to get up and do something. This is my favourite.

I read a book on neuroplasticity which completely changed my outlook on life. It was called: The Brain that Changes Itself , which I truly recommend to you.

I wish you well.

-Kushala Daora
(edited 6 years ago)
i’ve looked into it in the past, i’ve always wanted to go to uni but i’d push comes to shove there’s always that i can go to, it’s just there’s no local apprenticeship that are any good (i live in the middle of no where lol), so many once i’m 18 it’s a good idea idk

That'll do as a back up if it comes to it. Hopefully you get into uni etc.
Reply 19
sorry for the late reply! good i’d say, i got As and 8s in year 11, i know they’re there for a back up and stuff

damn my GCSEs were awful, only 2 8's and 3 A's

Quick Reply

Latest