The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jimmy Seville
Learn the offside rule and use your eyes/common sense.

Common sense never applies when interpreting the offside rule - the whole "give the attacker the advantage" just doesn't exisy
Original post by Fizzel
Thought he went under the radar a bit but Martial was a positive yesterday. First of all Jose started him, on the left, in a massive game. Not his most offensive performance but no doubt he had an eye on fulfilling the defensive duties Jose will have required. Did well to put Sanchez in for what should have been a better quality shot, and got his assist for Lukaku's goal. Although the goal was a bit scrappy I though for a player who at times has risked settling too much in that left wing role of the 4-2-3-1, just like Arsenal and Watford being the games springing to mind he can play well infield as more of a forward.

I really prefer the 4-3-3 and I think it benefits nearly all the players in our team. Although I still do think the 4-2-3-1 has its place especially when we're playing Mata.

Must say as likeable as they are after all these years, our fullback situation is dire. They have never been able to defend properly as converted wingers but even offensively, nothing compared to what Spurs or City are getting out of theirs.

Thought we played best when we let pogba drift left and Sanchez through the middle. Almost a diamond with Alexis at the tip.
Reply 422
Original post by Fizzel
So Pogba ill, Matic carrying, Herrera injured, Fellaini injured. We're looking at Carrick and McTominay.

We really are going to need to go on a midfielder buying spree in summer. We're losing two of them, one doesn't get games and the others are kids. Basically just Pogba and Matic come end of the season.

have you heard that neymar is now leaving psg to go to real madrid
Original post by Fizzel
Thought he went under the radar a bit but Martial was a positive yesterday. First of all Jose started him, on the left, in a massive game. Not his most offensive performance but no doubt he had an eye on fulfilling the defensive duties Jose will have required. Did well to put Sanchez in for what should have been a better quality shot, and got his assist for Lukaku's goal. Although the goal was a bit scrappy I though for a player who at times has risked settling too much in that left wing role of the 4-2-3-1, just like Arsenal and Watford being the games springing to mind he can play well infield as more of a forward.

I really prefer the 4-3-3 and I think it benefits nearly all the players in our team. Although I still do think the 4-2-3-1 has its place especially when we're playing Mata.

Must say as likeable as they are after all these years, our fullback situation is dire. They have never been able to defend properly as converted wingers but even offensively, nothing compared to what Spurs or City are getting out of theirs.

I think it suits Martial because it wasn't so much a 4-3-3 as a lopsided diamond. Matic sitting, McTominay in a withdrawn right sided role, Pogba in an advanced left sided role, then Sanchez pretty central with Martial and Lukaku playing as a strike partnership but drifting to the flanks. Similar front 3 pattern to when Lingard was playing centrally in the wingback system. That setup works for a lot of players and gets Martial involved closer to the goal without giving him responsibility of leading the line.

Think that system highlighted the limitations at fullback too, you're really looking to them to provide the width and they're not really up to it. Not sure which side to prioritise, I guess if Shaw isn't trusted you look to bring in a LB and let Young take a bit of the burden off Valencia on the other side.
Original post by neymay
have you heard that neymar is now leaving psg to go to real madrid

Since when? Thats rumours, nothing has been confirmed, please do your research first
Original post by That Bearded Man
Common sense never applies when interpreting the offside rule - the whole "give the attacker the advantage" just doesn't exisy

He's not offside, thats what I meant for you to figure out

Yeah- his left ass cheek is offside
Wait how is this still going on?

His shoulder was offside.
Original post by sr90
His shoulder was offside.

Probably last time i'm gonna say this, but your shoulder doesn't count as offside according to the rules.
These guys won the game and are still arguing about an offside decision they've fluked. Weird morons.
These guys won the game and are still arguing about an offside decision they've fluked. Weird morons.

That's what I don't get. They completely deserved to win the game but I don't know why some of them won't admit it was onside. It's as if they're so insecure about it diminishing the value of their victory. Like who cares once you get the result, but no need to act like that.

Let's be honest he only put the ball in the net because everyone saw the flag. It would have ended up in the away end otherwise.
Original post by sr90
Let's be honest he only put the ball in the net because everyone saw the flag. It would have ended up in the away end otherwise.

lol, the ref didn't blow until Morat had already hit the ball and the play was the opposite side of the pitch to the lino so not as if they saw anything out their peripheral - and De Gea was 100% trying to save that...

You're on another teams thread about an interesting decision and yet you offer nothing to the debate except - "look at it".
Original post by That Bearded Man
You're on another teams thread about an interesting decision and yet you offer nothing to the debate except - "look at it".

I've explained how the angle of the camera in relation to the play distorts the upper body of the players but you ignored it to sprout some irrelevant shite about what body parts you can and can't you can't score with...
I heard that moaning about a decision that didn’t go your way, won’t change the fact your team lost.

Just what I heard.
Original post by sr90

Man's telling us Morata only scored from a tight angle against 'the best goalkeeper who ever lived' because he knew it was offside and just wanted to show off a little.

**** me
Man's telling us Morata only scored from a tight angle against 'the best goalkeeper who ever lived' because he knew it was offside and just wanted to show off a little.

**** me

So you're still on here crying?

Latest