The Student Room Group

Not sure what to do after sixth form?

I'm currently in my last year of studying for my a levels, and I am 100% certain that I do not want to go to Uni. I've applied for quite a few apprenticeships but have had no luck. Just got rejected from one today actually just after getting to the assessment centre stage, woohay(!). I really don't want to take a gap year only for the fact I really want to get stuck in with whatever im going to do and not having to worry about what will happen the year after. I'm not sure why I keep getting rejected from apprenticeships because my grades aren't bad but I have got 10 GCSE's all A*-B and AAB at AS, predicted AAA overall. I don't know what else I could be doing wrong? It's really scary not knowing what will happen in a few months. A lot of my time is going into searching for apprenticeships and preparing for AC's that I keep failing rather than actually studying. It seems as if everyone around me knows what course they want to do and which Uni they want to go to, it makes me feel anxious not having my own life together. I would say I'm a spiritual person & I have been praying endlessly for one apprenticeship, but it's not happening. I don't want to neglect my studies either. I don't know what else to do because I definitely want to further my education by taking part in a degree/higher apprenticeship but I can't seem to get any & I know that I have more potential to show. I really don't want to go to Uni because there's no course I would want to spend 3 years stressing day and night over & getting into £50K debt over. Any advice or anyone ever been in the same positions???
Original post by rdlewiss
I'm currently in my last year of studying for my a levels, and I am 100% certain that I do not want to go to Uni. I've applied for quite a few apprenticeships but have had no luck. Just got rejected from one today actually just after getting to the assessment centre stage, woohay(!). I really don't want to take a gap year only for the fact I really want to get stuck in with whatever im going to do and not having to worry about what will happen the year after. I'm not sure why I keep getting rejected from apprenticeships because my grades aren't bad but I have got 10 GCSE's all A*-B and AAB at AS, predicted AAA overall. I don't know what else I could be doing wrong? It's really scary not knowing what will happen in a few months. A lot of my time is going into searching for apprenticeships and preparing for AC's that I keep failing rather than actually studying. It seems as if everyone around me knows what course they want to do and which Uni they want to go to, it makes me feel anxious not having my own life together. I would say I'm a spiritual person & I have been praying endlessly for one apprenticeship, but it's not happening. I don't want to neglect my studies either. I don't know what else to do because I definitely want to further my education by taking part in a degree/higher apprenticeship but I can't seem to get any & I know that I have more potential to show. I really don't want to go to Uni because there's no course I would want to spend 3 years stressing day and night over & getting into £50K debt over. Any advice or anyone ever been in the same positions???

No need to worry and you cna go to uni any time or many years later.

Apprenticeship makes perfect sense, just find and apply for the good ones, then work on making your applications high quality, interview technique plus learn assessment centres. You are getting interviews which is good, it sounds like your interview or assessment let you down, its not grades.

Keep going and keep several applications on the go. Your biggest focus though has to be A level results.
Original post by rdlewiss

Have you asked for feedback from the companies you applied for? they will be able to tell you where you fell short

While you need the grades the companies are asking for most people applying will have them so it doesnt make you stand out against other people you are competing against (there are more important things than super high grades too). If you got the assessment centre then it was that that let you down, performing well in teams and the tasks (so showing leadership and team work qualities as well as critical thinking skills), interviewing well etc is just as important as grades. Having a good CV (this should be tailored to the particular apprenticeship you are applying for), having knowledge of the company, ability to demonstrate soft skills (something that is shown in the assessment centres) are the things a company looks for in candidates

imo if you dont find something this year then take a gap year, its only a year and it means you can get onto something you really want to do
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by madmadmax321
Have you asked for feedback from the companies you applied for? they will be able to tell you where you fell short

While you need the grades the companies are asking for most people applying will have them so it doesnt make you stand out against other people you are competing against (there are more important things than super high grades too). If you got the assessment centre then it was that that let you down, performing well in teams and the tasks (so showing leadership and team work qualities as well as critical thinking skills), interviewing well etc is just as important as grades. Having a good CV (this should be tailored to the particular apprenticeship you are applying for), having knowledge of the company, ability to demonstrate soft skills (something that is shown in the assessment centres) are the things a company looks for in candidates

imo if you dont find something this year then take a gap year, its only a year and it means you can get onto something you really want to do

Yeah, the most recent one said that I met the standard required on the day but there were too many people that applied and not enough spaces, so not sure if it was performance or just that the others were toooo good! & yeah I definitely agree, grades aren't everything. It just seems as if Uni is so much easier, all you do is apply and work for the grades. Apprenticeship searching and applying is so draining.

I think I will take a year out if I don't find anything because I don't want to waste all that time and money doing something I hate.
Thank you both for your advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending