The Student Room Group

Easy math question

I am in grade 8 so this would be quite easy. But I am just confused about this one thing. So this is about equations and graphs using y=mx+b/c .
The question is : y= - 1/3x - 4 (draw this)
So we have to use the rise/run method. In this case, is it -1 over 3 x. Or is it 1 over -3 x? This is really confusing for me. Pls explain to me. Thank you very much!
Original post by Jenella
I am in grade 8 so this would be quite easy. But I am just confused about this one thing. So this is about equations and graphs using y=mx+b/c .
The question is : y= - 1/3x - 4 (draw this)
So we have to use the rise/run method. In this case, is it -1 over 3 x. Or is it 1 over -3 x? This is really confusing for me. Pls explain to me. Thank you very much!

It’s either one. Makes no difference.
Reply 2
But if it’s either one, how would you draw the graph? The rise/run needs to be precise. Which one should I choose then?
Original post by Jenella
But if it’s either one, how would you draw the graph? The rise/run needs to be precise. Which one should I choose then?

Choose either one. With -1 / 3 all you're doing is going 3 to the right, and 1 down. With 1 / -3 all you're doing is going 3 to the left, and 1 up. Both of these define the same line, just different directions.
Reply 4
Thanks! Now it makes sense.

Quick Reply

Latest