The Student Room Group

RAC Blackbox is quickly becoming an issue...

I've been black box insured for just a month now and my score will keep decreasing in areas such as 'Urban' simply for moving my car or for things I'm not even sure of due to the little explanation on the meanings. I was told over the phone it was for any incedants in 30MPH zones yet every other score was at 100.

My main issue is after ignoring this I was driving on a 70MPH road at 45MPH and I was accused of speeding by the app for a short period of the road, yet on the way home I drove faster with no speeding warning. This dropped my speeding score dramatically and my driver score too and when I called up the guy insisted that I 'shouldnt worry' my driver score is great and they cant change this mistake even though it was on their end. I then asked him to put my score back to normal and he told me he couldnt. Was he being lazy? Am I in my rights to ask them to put my score back up?

Advice would be highly appreciated. Thank you.
No, but you are in your rights to get rid of that stupid box. They won't adjust your score.
Might be interesting to talk to the insurance ombudsman about it. Or indeed looking around for some alternative data logger that can corroborate your claims that you weren't speeding etc.
Original post by CurlyBen
Might be interesting to talk to the insurance ombudsman about it. Or indeed looking around for some alternative data logger that can corroborate your claims that you weren't speeding etc.

I wonder if he gets one of those dashcams that have a gps mount if it'll do him any good.
Reply 4
Original post by nevershear
No, but you are in your rights to get rid of that stupid box. They won't adjust your score.

I would get rid of the thing, issue is they gave me a quote 1k cheaper than the lowest without a black box.
Reply 5

Thats a good idea. I'll look into that!
Reply 6
I wonder if he gets one of those dashcams that have a gps mount if it'll do him any good.

I was thinking about getting a dash cam, only issue is that I'm not sure if a dash cam would record my speed etc.
Reply 7
Original post by Lfrunchy
I was thinking about getting a dash cam, only issue is that I'm not sure if a dash cam would record my speed etc.

If it's GPS enabled, yep, it will.

Yeah that's why you get one with a GPS mount. Records location and speed.

I would get rid of the thing, issue is they gave me a quote 1k cheaper than the lowest without a black box.

The 1k is worth it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Does your score actually affect anything?
Do you have to pay more if the score is lower? If so it's not an extra £1000 over the year is it?
Would you be at risk of your insurance being cancelled if your score goes too low?

The reason I'm asking is if it's still cheaper than not having a box and there's no threat to your insurance, I would just ignore the scores entirely. 45mph in a 70 is more dangerous than 80+ as the closing speeds are higher and everyone else, including HGVs, will have to go around you. It just proves how pointless these boxes are.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by FXX
Do you have to pay more if the score is lower? If so it's not an extra £1000 over the year is it?
Would you be at risk of your insurance being cancelled if your score goes too low?

The reason I'm asking is if it's still cheaper than not having a box and there's no threat to your insurance, I would just ignore the scores entirely. 45mph in a 70 is more dangerous than 80+ as the closing speeds are higher and everyone else, including HGVs, will have to go around you. It just proves how pointless these boxes are.

The constant risk of cancellation, everything you do being watched "oops I'm 8mph over that'll cost me if I do it two more times" along with the fact that the cost of crashing your car should be more than enough motivation to drive safely are perfect reasons by themselves not to get a box, and that's without going into their inaccuracies. You can say to ignore the scores entirely, but if he takes that advice and then promptly winds up with cancelled insurance, the end result will cost him more than 1k in a year, let alone his lifetime and thus that is pretty terrible advice.
Reply 11
Original post by FXX

No I chose this box insurance because it was the cheapest and I can get cancelled if my score goes low and because of this my speed score went into red. On top of that after the year my insurance premium wont be a true estimate on what kind of driver I am, if that makes sense? I couldnt afford the insurance without a box. Also I know about that, I was actually coming away from a roundabout when I was at 45MPH the rest of the road I was at 70MPH.

I've not seen those, but sounds like a good idea. Anything which can give some verifiable evidence of the black box's inaccuracy.
Reply 13
The constant risk of cancellation, everything you do being watched "oops I'm 8mph over that'll cost me if I do it two more times" along with the fact that the cost of crashing your car should be more than enough motivation to drive safely are perfect reasons by themselves not to get a box, and that's without going into their inaccuracies. You can say to ignore the scores entirely, but if he takes that advice and then promptly winds up with cancelled insurance, the end result will cost him more than 1k in a year, let alone his lifetime and thus that is pretty terrible advice.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. The thing is, there just isnt enough information around on how currupt these insurance companies can be. I chose box isurance because it was the only one I could afford, despite being 23 and driving/ holding my licence for 3 years I'm paying 85 a month for insurance and the others would have been 150 - 200 a month which is just not plausable when im at uni doing my MA. Of course, I would never just ignore the scores like that guy said, but I've been driving fine and it seems like they are dropping me for things the are making up, like stopping the car and starting it again.
I've not seen those, but sounds like a good idea. Anything which can give some verifiable evidence of the black box's inaccuracy.

Most decent dash cams now have one although it's usually an optional extra like on the Viofo, but they cost like a fiver. They say where you are either in street location or coords along with your speedo reading. They're quite accurate.
You’re within your rights under the data protection act to have any personal information held about you corrected if it is agreed as being incorrect. I’d push this angle and threaten them with a complaint to the informa toon commissioners office if I were you.
Reply 16
Original post by Mutley67
You’re within your rights under the data protection act to have any personal information held about you corrected if it is agreed as being incorrect. I’d push this angle and threaten them with a complaint to the informa toon commissioners office if I were you.

This thread is two years old.
I've been black box insured for just a month now and my score will keep decreasing in areas such as 'Urban' simply for moving my car or for things I'm not even sure of due to the little explanation on the meanings. I was told over the phone it was for any incedants in 30MPH zones yet every other score was at 100.

My main issue is after ignoring this I was driving on a 70MPH road at 45MPH and I was accused of speeding by the app for a short period of the road, yet on the way home I drove faster with no speeding warning. This dropped my speeding score dramatically and my driver score too and when I called up the guy insisted that I 'shouldnt worry' my driver score is great and they cant change this mistake even though it was on their end. I then asked him to put my score back to normal and he told me he couldnt. Was he being lazy? Am I in my rights to ask them to put my score back up?

Advice would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

I've been on holiday for the last 10 days, not touched my car once, but my scores have gone down by about 10% in total. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, the p*ss poor explanation (if you can even call them that) provide little to no help, and it's making me want to just park my car up my parents driveway and leave it there while i take a bus to work and college until i can afford a non-black box policy.

Latest