The Student Room Group

I really want to get help

I am an international student and I'm currently having my undergraduate degree in the UK. I wasn't so happy when I was in my high school in my hometown. I knew I had some problem at that time, when I'd be extremely sad and cry for no reason. But since I didn't want my parents to be worried about me and I didn't want to be treated as a 'abnormal guy' (I'm from an country that not all people welcome people with mental problem), I didn't seek help.

When I came to the UK, I am feeling increasingly unwell. I can't sleep at night (literally can't sleep until 6:00 a.m.). I always feel tiredness and unable to focus working. I feel anxious when people are around me. That makes me can't wake up for lectures and started messing up my attendance (attendance is extremely important for international students). I can no longer due with what's happening, hence I decided to find my GP for help.

I really hope my GP can prescribe me antidepressants. I need a fast route to solve my mood issue. However, for meeting my GP for 3 weeks, despite the fact that I ask for pills every time, she declined my request. I felt so hopeless.

Until last week, my GP transferred me to see the psychologist in the hospital. Hope arose again. I really hope the psychologist can help me. But that hope soon vanished. I was told to go to the hospital today in the morning, but since I was so worried about the appointment, I can't sleep for the whole night until 6. When I woke up, it's already 10 a.m., and I missed the time to go for the appointment.

What should I do... I really feel hopeless. I am so useless, can't even attend for the appointment... I really want to know what should I do to help myself...
You're not useless because you missed your appointment, you just overslept because you didn't get to sleep until late, it's the same thing that would happen to anyone. You've already made a huge step in acknowledging that you need help, so you've already made progress in helping yourself regardless of whether it feels like it at the moment. It sounds to me like you do need to speak to a professional, and I know that a quick fix seems like the most appealing option right now, but there is no quick fix for mental health. Relying too much and investing too much in pills won't do you any good either. What you really need is a healthy balance between scheduled sessions with a therapist who you can talk to about your problems and feelings, and any medication that they might prescribe you.

You're already doing really well, you should be very proud of yourself for seeking help in the first place. I would make another appointment, set a few alarms so you don't sleep through it, and hopefully you can start to feel a little better soon. Best of luck, feel free to PM me if you ever want to chat privately
Reply 2
Original post by Kanairee
You're not useless because you missed your appointment, you just overslept because you didn't get to sleep until late, it's the same thing that would happen to anyone. You've already made a huge step in acknowledging that you need help, so you've already made progress in helping yourself regardless of whether it feels like it at the moment. It sounds to me like you do need to speak to a professional, and I know that a quick fix seems like the most appealing option right now, but there is no quick fix for mental health. Relying too much and investing too much in pills won't do you any good either. What you really need is a healthy balance between scheduled sessions with a therapist who you can talk to about your problems and feelings, and any medication that they might prescribe you.

You're already doing really well, you should be very proud of yourself for seeking help in the first place. I would make another appointment, set a few alarms so you don't sleep through it, and hopefully you can start to feel a little better soon. Best of luck, feel free to PM me if you ever want to chat privately

Thanks for your advice..

Quick Reply

Latest