The Student Room Group

JSA Group session

I recently had to sign on due to being made redundant. This is the first time being on JSA so I’m new to all this. I’ve attended 3 appointments so far, the third one being today, where I was advised that I would need to attend a group session for my next appointment. It never occurred to me at the time but I recall the lady saying the last time that group sessions maybe wouldn’t be ideal for me with being a mum to a one year old (who I currently don’t have childcare for on my appointment day) and it wouldn’t be ideal for all the others in the group session if she’s crying or making a lot of noise, therefore she wouldn’t put my name forward for it, but this week she has. My question is, is it mandatory for me to attend the group session or not?
Original post by SHRV
I recently had to sign on due to being made redundant. This is the first time being on JSA so I’m new to all this. I’ve attended 3 appointments so far, the third one being today, where I was advised that I would need to attend a group session for my next appointment. It never occurred to me at the time but I recall the lady saying the last time that group sessions maybe wouldn’t be ideal for me with being a mum to a one year old (who I currently don’t have childcare for on my appointment day) and it wouldn’t be ideal for all the others in the group session if she’s crying or making a lot of noise, therefore she wouldn’t put my name forward for it, but this week she has. My question is, is it mandatory for me to attend the group session or not?

Contact CAB and they can look into whether they have to help or take into account your child.

I would expect you have to follow the instructions of the work coach or risk being sanctioned for not co operating. That could be up to 3 months money. Its a world full of pain so please comply.

Have they told you how long the session would be? If its not a risk to the child, then I would take them along and just get it over with.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Contact CAB and they can look into whether they have to help or take into account your child.

I would expect you have to follow the instructions of the work coach or risk being sanctioned for not co operating. That could be up to 3 months money. Its a world full of pain so please comply.

Have they told you how long the session would be? If its not a risk to the child, then I would take them along and just get it over with.

Thank you for your response. I don’t mind going to them at all and taking my child along but my work coach advised at the last appointment that she wouldn’t put me down for the group sessions due to my circumstances with my child and that they don’t like children to attend incase of disruption, so I’m a bit confused as to why she has changed her mind and told me I would need to go to one and unfortunately it never crossed my mind what she told me at the last appointment until I got home. She said the sessions can last up to an hour.
Original post by SHRV
Thank you for your response. I don’t mind going to them at all and taking my child along but my work coach advised at the last appointment that she wouldn’t put me down for the group sessions due to my circumstances with my child and that they don’t like children to attend incase of disruption, so I’m a bit confused as to why she has changed her mind and told me I would need to go to one and unfortunately it never crossed my mind what she told me at the last appointment until I got home. She said the sessions can last up to an hour.

1. Just ring and confirm you cant get childcare so will have to bring your child.

2. Just go and get it over with as its not long and they will only arrange it for another day.

You need to avoid being sanctioned at all costs.

Quick Reply

Latest