The Student Room Group

opinions on the royal family?

Personally, I think the royal family is outdated and quite irrelevant now.

I see the benefits with tourism and hospitality but at the end of the day, they do charity work and good deeds because they have a duty and they have a duty because they were born into a certain family?? They also live in fancy houses, have a good quality of life and are praised by most of the UK and elsewhere in the world!!

Also, on a political side, I don't understand why the Queen oversees the government? Doesn't it undermine the point of democracy??.

open to opinions :smile:

Scroll to see replies

great
Original post by Ray_Shadows
great

wow thank you, so insightful
Original post by BeccaHeritage
wow thank you, so insightful

was that sarcasm , i didn't know what else to say but i'm curious to hear others opinions so i thought i bump yours up
Original post by Ray_Shadows
was that sarcasm , i didn't know what else to say but i'm curious to hear others opinions so i thought i bump yours up

shitsorry I assumed you were being sarcastic, my apologies x
They are a waste of space and hold on to old fashioned ideas about control and power
God save the Queen.
shitsorry I assumed you were being sarcastic, my apologies x

np x
Original post by Luke5125
They are a waste of space and hold on to old fashioned ideas about control and power

I think that's true, do you think there's a difference in opinions between generations? I just had an argument with a friend's mum about it and she was so adamant they are essential to this country's success 😬
Original post by Amanzhol
God save the Queen.

Can I ask why you personally think she is important?
Personally I would see an end to the monarchy, it's not right to have the hierarchy split between poor and super rich, also the queen doesn't pay tax or so it said in the media and keeps her precious money offshore- how the F**k is that fair??? Bloody ridiculous.
Also how is it fair that we are meant to be one of the richest countries, yet we still poverty, homelessness. I bet the queen doesn't give a f**k, I feel sorry for people who are brainwashed to think they are good for this country.
Hope that helps, and will answer any questions😊
Original post by RockChic26
Personally I would see an end to the monarchy, it's not right to have the hierarchy split between poor and super rich, also the queen doesn't pay tax or so it said in the media and keeps her precious money offshore- how the F**k is that fair??? Bloody ridiculous.
Also how is it fair that we are meant to be one of the richest countries, yet we still poverty, homelessness. I bet the queen doesn't give a f**k, I feel sorry for people who are brainwashed to think they are good for this country.
Hope that helps, and will answer any questions😊

interesting points thank you!
Meh, they are people same as you and me.
The monarchy is a useful barrier and 'checkpoint' for Government, especially with the limitations and impositions placed on both. Works as a checks and balance type affair. It might not be the best format of that, but it's undeniable that some form of check is required in any system of government.

The Family gets itself into trouble by doing silly things, but that's true of everyone, and the overwhelming majority of them don't have any semblance of power.
Original post by Drewski
The monarchy is a useful barrier and 'checkpoint' for Government, especially with the limitations and impositions placed on both. Works as a checks and balance type affair. It might not be the best format of that, but it's undeniable that some form of check is required in any system of government.

The Family gets itself into trouble by doing silly things, but that's true of everyone, and the overwhelming majority of them don't have any semblance of power.

how do other countries without royal families do their checks? how do you feel about media coverage of the royals?
I see her as another human being. I don't care that she's royalty, in my eyes she's equal to every other human being.
how do other countries without royal families do their checks? how do you feel about media coverage of the royals?

You can research that for yourself.

Don't really care; the celeb-obsessed media is pretty **** these days, so it's all largely redundant.
I also think they're outdated, I not sure about this but I think our taxes are used to fund their luxurious lives and yet they serve no purpose other than on the tourism side but even then we can get rid of the monarchy and use their palaces as museums. Also I don't think the queen has much power over the government she signs the bill before it becomes an act but it's just for show it doesn't mean anything (I think).
Original post by Memeintern
I also think they're outdated, I not sure about this but I think our taxes are used to fund their luxurious lives and yet they serve no purpose other than on the tourism side but even then we can get rid of the monarchy and use their palaces as museums. Also I don't think the queen has much power over the government she signs the bill before it becomes an act but it's just for show it doesn't mean anything (I think).

I heard the wedding is coming out of taxes? do you know if that's true?? and okay so the bill signing is just a tradition kind of thing fair
I heard the wedding is coming out of taxes? do you know if that's true?? and okay so the bill signing is just a tradition kind of thing fair

I'm not sure about how the wedding is being funded but I'm not suprised if it's us that will be paying for it.

Quick Reply

Latest