The Student Room Group

Is Chelsea Academy a good sixth form?

Ive applied to Chelsea Academy sixth form and it said that I will get an offer by march. I kinda like school when I saw the open evening; how they are building a new sixth form building and everything. but I was kinda thrown off the school when I saw the real online statistics. They said in the open evening that they are the best school in the borough and how they beat harris westminister, holland park and cardinal voughan. When I found out the real statistics(They have performed below average gradewise and had no oxbridge offers source: https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/school/135531?tab=ks5-16-to-18), I emailed the school and they said that they meant progress. After this, I am very sceptical about this school. Does anyone actually go to the school? can you please give me an insight to it? thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AALB44879
Ive applied to Chelsea Academy sixth form and it said that I will get an offer by march. I kinda like school when I saw the open evening; how they are building a new sixth form building and everything. but I was kinda thrown off the school when I saw the real online statistics. They said in the open evening that they are the best school in the borough and how they beat harris westminister, holland park and cardinal voughan. When I found out the real statistics(They have performed below average gradewise and had no oxbridge offers source: https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/school/135531?tab=ks5-16-to-18), I emailed the school and they said that they meant progress. After this, I am very sceptical about this school. Does anyone actually go to the school? can you please give me an insight to it? thanks in advance

I am a current year 11 student at CA and yes I could confirm that they do that to everyone (claim that they are the best performing in the borough, but really they only mean progress). When I confronted a teacher about this and asked why their grades are below average and much lower then holland park and harris westminster, they simply said that "those schools only get good grades cos they take in the smartest students" which I think is very misleading seeing as they are claiming that they are claiming to be the "best performing school in the borough". They have such a high student intake(like 200 each year) and so many retakes. I know a guy who got into sixth form when I was in year 8 and to this very day I still see him. This school has absolutely 0 regard whatsoever as to predictions ( Both A-levels and GCSEs). They use unrealistic exams, very high, inflated boundaries and then predict you what you are currently achieving, if you are lucky you will get one grade higher for your predictions. They do this and then they scratch their heads when they get zero oxbridge offers. Yes this year the school got zero oxbridge offers which is terrible seeing as they had 16 oxbridge applicats. Honestly you are better off going to harris, Holland park or cardinal (Harris and Holland park both have around a ten percent oxbridge rate.. Not sure about caridnal.) and I would avoid this school at all costs. Only come here if you dont get into the others on results day, and if you applied to CA leave it as a last resort.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2

I helped design the new sixth form room, it is absoulutely ****, there is no space for it, the school is overpopulated, teachers couldnt give less of a **** about students, the standards are so low, you will find students who can't understand simple rules. Do not ruin your education and come to this sixth form.

NO it isn't. I spent five years there and to be honest I feel I underachieved because of it. I went to my new school not knowing the basics of french grammar whilst everybody else was ahead. If I was you I would avoid it at all costs. They always say they are building a new building for the sixth form they said it since I was in year 7. Cardinal Vaughan is sooo much better like miles. Plus on top of that the people make you feel bad for wanting to study hard and wanting to get the best university places. A lot of my friends who stayed ended up wither leaving or repeating the year because it's so bad.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Becca070600
NO it isn't. I spent five years there and to be honest I feel I underachieved because of it. I went to my new school not knowing the basics of french grammar whilst everybody else was ahead. If I was you I would avoid it at all costs. They always say they are building a new building for the sixth form they said it since I was in year 7. Cardinal Vaughan is sooo much better like miles. Plus on top of that the people make you feel bad for wanting to study hard and wanting to get the best university places. A lot of my friends who stayed ended up wither leaving or repeating the year because it's so bad.

Are you still currently there?
Reply 5
Original post by tedgfbtebfetedfb
I am a current year 11 student at CA and yes I could confirm that they do that to everyone (claim that they are the best performing in the borough, but really they only mean progress). When I confronted a teacher about this and asked why their grades are below average and much lower then holland park and harris westminster, they simply said that "those schools only get good grades cos they take in the smartest students" which I think is very misleading seeing as they are claiming that they are claiming to be the "best performing school in the borough". They have such a high student intake(like 200 each year) and so many retakes. I know a guy who got into sixth form when I was in year 8 and to this very day I still see him. This school has absolutely 0 regard whatsoever as to predictions ( Both A-levels and GCSEs). They use unrealistic exams, very high, inflated boundaries and then predict you what you are currently achieving, if you are lucky you will get one grade higher for your predictions. They do this and then they scratch their heads when they get zero oxbridge offers. Yes this year the school got zero oxbridge offers which is terrible seeing as they had 16 oxbridge applicats. Honestly you are better off going to harris, Holland park or cardinal (Harris and Holland park both have around a ten percent oxbridge rate.. Not sure about caridnal.) and I would avoid this school at all costs. Only come here if you dont get into the others on results day, and if you applied to CA leave it as a last resort.

I swear they ask for A grades at GCSE’s to do your chosen A-Levels?
Original post by Black Water
I swear they ask for A grades at GCSE’s to do your chosen A-Levels?

They do. But an A is like the bare minimum you need to pass an A-level so it isnt anything special

Did they say that they were building a new buildng for you guys?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
They do. But an A is like the bare minimum you need to pass an A-level so it isnt anything special

Yeah I guess that’s true. It’s just that a lot of schools ask for B’s as well. It also isn’t guaranteed you passing an A-Level if you get an A at GCSE.

I know a guy who has been repeating the year for 4 years LOL. One of the main reasons why I dont wanna stay there. Also a lot of the time the teachers are not even in and we end up getting a roadman for a supply teacher. I am not even joking the guy is like 26 and still speaks slang. He just sits at the front with all the girls that dont care about their future and starts snapchating with them. (I'm sure a lot of people reading this thread will know exactly who he is.) How do you expect to pass an A-level in this environment?
(edited 6 years ago)
Yeah I guess that’s true. It’s just that a lot of schools ask for B’s as well. It also isn’t guaranteed you passing an A-Level if you get an A at GCSE.

Yeah IK but it shows that you have a strong foundation to study a subject into more depth. Obviously people change so this could impact it (IK a guy who scraped onto Hammersmith academy with B's and C's and he got AAB in his A-levels and is now studying at Manchester.)
Reply 11
Yeah IK but it shows that you have a strong foundation to study a subject into more depth. Obviously people change so this could impact it (IK a guy who scraped onto Hammersmith academy with B's and C's and he got AAB in his A-levels and is now studying at Manchester.)

Yeah that’s true. Wow, that’s good. Do you know what he’s studying?
Yeah that’s true. Wow, that’s good. Do you know what he’s studying?

He is doing business studies with social statistics. He got an A in maths and business and a B in computer science.
Reply 13
He is doing business studies with social statistics. He got an A in maths and business and a B in computer science.

That’s really good. :smile:
Are you still currently there?

No left there a year ago and so glad I did barely anyone stayed. They only require B's tbh
Reply 15
No left there a year ago and so glad I did barely anyone stayed. They only require B's tbh

Oh right. I’ve only heard bad things about this school.
As Ted (whatever) said, the teachers are absolutely terrible at their job, well atleast most of them, especially at predictions, they are also very, very big d***heads, for example, i was predicted a G in one of my exams, i ended up getting an A in the final exam, the teacher who predicted that now refuses to talk to me, another negative is the way this school organises classes, there is a teacher shortage at Chelsea Academy, their solution? split the class (set f***ing 7) across the year imagine, someone who doesnt know how to read in top set. Dont set high expectations for this school as it will disappoint, watch your grades drop, the teachers are humiliating and demoralising, the predictions make you feel like s*** then when you apply to uni's and dont get in due to s*** predictions from 'the best school in the borough' then the teachers will tell you you should have worked harder. All this school can do is Bulls*** there is no space, the school is overcrowded, we have space for 80 year 12's there are 160, i think this year it will be close to 200-250, takes ages to get the S*** food they serve, not to mention overpriced and under-seasoned, this has meant me and my friends resort to spending £100's a month on buying decent food. Please do yourself a favour and dont fall for their bull**** like i did.

edit: forgot to add about how teachers are constantly complaining about their salaries and how the have to wake up at 6am...
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by YD17HXM
As Ted (whatever) said, the teachers are absolutely terrible at their job, well atleast most of them, especially at predictions, they are also very, very big d***heads, for example, i was predicted a G in one of my exams, i ended up getting an A in the final exam, the teacher who predicted that now refuses to talk to me, another negative is the way this school organises classes, there is a teacher shortage at Chelsea Academy, their solution? split the class (set f***ing 7) across the year imagine, someone who doesnt know how to read in top set. Dont set high expectations for this school as it will disappoint, watch your grades drop, the teachers are humiliating and demoralising, the predictions make you feel like s*** then when you apply to uni's and dont get in due to s*** predictions from 'the best school in the borough' then the teachers will tell you you should have worked harder. All this school can do is Bulls*** there is no space, the school is overcrowded, we have space for 80 year 12's there are 160, i think this year it will be close to 200-250, takes ages to get the S*** food they serve, not to mention overpriced and under-seasoned, this has meant me and my friends resort to spending £100's a month on buying decent food. Please do yourself a favour and dont fall for their bull**** like i did.

edit: forgot to add about how teachers are constantly complaining about their salaries and how the have to wake up at 6am...

I think I know who you are from this. Miss malik is a wasteman
I think I know who you are from this. Miss malik is a wasteman

A very big one.
If you're an excellent student then CA is good. If you want to go CA to get A*, then it's very hard for the aforementioned reasons e.g. lack of support, dumb boundaries, wrong spec exams, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest